• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
For Perth you could resurrect the Perth Spirit or the previous brand the Perth Gold as a rep team.

It could be limited to players who have played X # of games in the comp or less than y number of games in Super to make sure the squads don't become full of Super Rugby players. I would think WA would get behind the team and potentially with bigger crowds than just being a single club side

Yeah. Could make it that they have had to played X number of games or have come up through that clubs ranks in order to qualify. It would still be club based but it would look to be as inclusive as possible while presenting a competitive as possible structure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Personally I think it would undermine the concept of a club championship just for the sake of inclusiveness. If the clubs aren’t up to competing with the QPR & SS teams, then they can run a best of the rest tournament.

At the end of the day you’re trying to determine the best club in Australia

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Its 11.20pm in Brisbane and brisbanetimes.com.au (part of Nine) has no article for the Rebels v Brumbies game on their website. The ladder has been updated but no report on the game.

Pretty poor for a day game.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/rugby-union

I'll cut Nine some slack.......... it's been a few weeks since they were hacked, and I know that a lot of their operations are still majorly fucked.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I'll cut Nine some slack.... it's been a few weeks since they were hacked, and I know that a lot of their operations are still majorly fucked.

Posted in reply on another thread but better suited here.

I watched the NSW (Sydney) channel 9 news sport segment last night, it covered, NRL, AFL, Cricket, Formula 1, A-League, EPL & NBL. Nothing on the Rebels-Brumbies match that finished a couple of hours earlier or nothing on the Waratahs-Force match from the night before.

Stan & 9 are doing a great job on the telecast but it would be nice if they let people know it's on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Posted in reply on another thread but better suited here.

I watched the NSW (Sydney) channel 9 news sport segment last night, it covered, NRL, AFL, Cricket, Formula 1, A-League, EPL & NBL. Nothing on the Rebels-Brumbies match that finished a couple of hours earlier or nothing on the Waratahs-Force match from the night before.
Stan & 9 are doing a great job on the telecast but it would be nice if they let people know it's on.

They seem to be building a great product with rugby fans in mind, but only rugby fans in mind. Not sure why they'd dump a heap of money into pre-launch advertising and fleshing out their offerings if they're not going to try and attract the casual viewer.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I suspect Netball was there next big target for Stan Sport, they were filthy when Foxtel pinched that. NBL and A-League are the other comps we might see in the future.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having rugby on a streaming service is proving to be really good. Previously it would have made no sense for Fox Sports to acquire additional content even at a low price because there aren't enough channels to show it on.

With a streaming service they can add things like Japan Top League, Pro 14, and club rugby and while there is clearly a cost to produce club rugby, it adds a huge amount of content. I would assume the cost for an Australian broadcaster to buy those UK leagues is very low as it is essentially free money for them as they know the viewers will be limited and there is no competition for the rights.

It would be interesting to know what it costs to produce a round of Shute Shield/Premier Rugby.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
So far I've watched all the SRA games on Stan other than Reds home games - I watched at the ground - plus most SRAo games and one or two Japanese games. Yeah, the service freezes up occasionally but that's rectified easily enough and I find it easy to skip forward to kick-off if i'm not watching live.

All in all, very happy the rugby moved to Stan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The other item worth noting are the classic matches.

A streaming service really makes use of having an extensive library of content that was previously of little use. Foxtel have an On Demand service but it was fairly cumbersome and for whatever reason was never really used for years of back catalogues of sport (of any variety).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stan getting the Rainbow Cup is pretty exciting too. Those SAF sides v Pro 14 sides from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and italy

This is just the preseason of the Pro 14.

I am assuming (hoping) they will also have the Pro 14 otherwise it will be a bit pointless.

I assume the Rainbow Cup will be a one off to fill the gap before the start of the next season after their previous season ended 2 months earlier than it normally would.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The other item worth noting are the classic matches.

A streaming service really makes use of having an extensive library of content that was previously of little use. Foxtel have an On Demand service but it was fairly cumbersome and for whatever reason was never really used for years of back catalogues of sport (of any variety).

Yeah I'm loving this. Going back and watching the 2013 Lions series (stopping at half time in game 3). Great to see these old games in full.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This is just the preseason of the Pro 14.

I am assuming (hoping) they will also have the Pro 14 otherwise it will be a bit pointless.

I assume the Rainbow Cup will be a one off to fill the gap before the start of the next season after their previous season ended 2 months earlier than it normally would.

It’s technically the post-season, Pro14 season was re-scheduled to accomodate the Rainbow Cup after the final. And the expectation is that the Rainbow Cup will replace the Pro12/14 entirely from 2021/2022

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Having rugby on a streaming service is proving to be really good. Previously it would have made no sense for Fox Sports to acquire additional content even at a low price because there aren't enough channels to show it on.

With a streaming service they can add things like Japan Top League, Pro 14, and club rugby and while there is clearly a cost to produce club rugby, it adds a huge amount of content. I would assume the cost for an Australian broadcaster to buy those UK leagues is very low as it is essentially free money for them as they know the viewers will be limited and there is no competition for the rights.

It would be interesting to know what it costs to produce a round of Shute Shield/Premier Rugby.

It's not just the club game production either. The highlights and "mini" all need production. I'm really loving the mini for the club rugby. Even watched some Shute Shield. The content is fantastic.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I suspect Netball was there next big target for Stan Sport, they were filthy when Foxtel pinched that. NBL and A-League are the other comps we might see in the future.
Maybe they can pick up the soon to be European Super League.....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So far I've watched all the SRA games on Stan other than Reds home games - I watched at the ground - plus most SRAo games and one or two Japanese games. Yeah, the service freezes up occasionally but that's rectified easily enough and I find it easy to skip forward to kick-off if i'm not watching live.

All in all, very happy the rugby moved to Stan.

I usually watch on delay and have no issue catching up, my biggest complaint is that unlike all other Stan programs, the rugby does not allow me to continue from where I was last watching if I turn off the TV or hit a wrong button.