• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Personally I'd love a "combined broadcast" sort of thing for Friday and Saturday night where I can just put the first game on and it automatically flows through to the next one when it finishes.

Isn't that what it does when they're doing the full intermission shows? It did it for me on Friday night. It's what it used to do for me before 9 got hit by the cryptolocker / hackers / whatever.

If I could build the queue myself and choose whether it swaps at the end of the current game or the start of the next one for crossovers (e.g. club game into kiwi super game) that'd be even better.

Ahh, that's another level of functionality that would need app changes too. Here I am waiting on the more basic support of the AppleTV picture-in-picture so I can be watching Netflix for example while waiting for kickoff. It'd be pretty cool to have what you're suggesting, too.

Or if the app is open for it to automatically switch to any game that you've put in your list the moment the stream starts. So I could add a shute shield match on Thursday, then on Saturday I can start the AppleTV & open Stan anywhere in the half hour leading up to the match. As soon as the stream starts for the match I've put in my list it starts playing without me needing to be constantly checking at or around 3pm.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Stan has been great, their promotion of Super Rugby AU at the beginning of the season in particular was the most I’ve seen any kind of rugby in Australia for some time. Turn around on highlights of club games & rainbow cup slowing down since the tennis has started would be my only genuine criticism.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Isn't that what it does when they're doing the full intermission shows? It did it for me on Friday night. It's what it used to do for me before 9 got hit by the cryptolocker / hackers / whatever.

Oh that's great if it is, hadn't noticed it yet but I always assumed it was coming. I'll have to see how it goes this weekend.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Last regular season game for the year.

49k, which is the 2nd worst audience of the year.

TT has now had the worst, second worst and fourth worst ratings of the year. I don’t suspect next weeks final will have a bump in figures.

Unless it’s a large audience next week, figures are leading to a 25-30% reduction in audience from SRAU to TT

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep it’s no surprise, a lot of oxygen has been sucked out of the game by the teams getting flogged. I personally don’t see the benefit of the TT that others are touting. It’s killing the domestic game.

I think the only way the TT can ever work is have parties involved willing to collaborate and put everything on the table to do something which creates a win win for all parties and supports growth of rugby in the region. Yet we are talking about national rugby bodies brought up in amateur era, long use to running their own agenda’s and holding onto a top down then bottom up view that is incredibly inflexible and seeing loss of national body control as something not prepared to tolerate.

It was dead before even the first kick off for this seasons TT. Watch the fallout seeking to blame the other for its failure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting to see Stan pickup the UEFA Champions League. Big win for them. Starting to get a bit of a portfolio going now.

Also good to see a few ads promoting rugby amidst the Origin last night.

Yeah that was an interesting advertisement, using SBW as the voice for the advert as well was targeted.

Hard work for a football fan though, you now potentially need 4 subscriptions to watch all Football:
Optus: English Premier League
Stan: UEFA Championship
Ten/Paramount: A League
BeIN/Foxtel:EFL & European Leagues

Foxtel just extended their partnership with BeIN unfortunately, which means a lot of NH Rugby will remain on Foxtel for next 4 years.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting to see Stan pickup the UEFA Champions League. Big win for them. Starting to get a bit of a portfolio going now.

Also good to see a few ads promoting rugby amidst the Origin last night.

Yep it was awesome to see that StanSport advertisement played at least maybe 4 times during the Origin ad breaks.

I'm surprised though that they didn't try and work more of the Channel 9/Gem FTA stuff into the ad, all the Wallabies games will be on FTA but they didn't really mention that, I don't think.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep it was awesome to see that StanSport advertisement played at least maybe 4 times during the Origin ad breaks.

I'm surprised though that they didn't try and work more of the Channel 9/Gem FTA stuff into the ad, all the Wallabies games will be on FTA but they didn't really mention that, I don't think.

because they want subscriptions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah that was an interesting advertisement, using SBW as the voice for the advert as well was targeted.

Hard work for a football fan though, you now potentially need 4 subscriptions to watch all Football:

Foxtel just extended their partnership with BeIN unfortunately, which means a lot of NH Rugby will remain on Foxtel for next 4 years.

I look forward to an aggregator service. We'll be right back to 1998.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I look forward to an aggregator service. We'll be right back to 1998.

What's in it for the content providers though?

Isn't the aggregator service now effectively things like a Google Chromecast and Google TV where you have a menu of all your services and direct links to lots of programs?

When it's so easy to access multiple platforms already it seems like they would be reticent to resell to a provider to rebundle them. The whole point seems to be to make it essential for most people to subscribe to a number of services.

Or do you think we'll be seeing Foxtel 2.0?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think there's clearly a product there, right? Only have to manage/keep track of one subscription. Comtent providers get subs they wouldn't have otherwise by virtue of being packaged. No?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there's clearly a product there, right? Only have to manage/keep track of one subscription. Comtent providers get subs they wouldn't have otherwise by virtue of being packaged. No?

I'd say there's definitely a product but if Stan is trying to add subscriptions via obtaining the Champions League then why would they make it possible that someone can get all the football content via one service where they are only going to get a small cut of the monthly subscription? Likewise for the other rights holder. Surely these are the items that they are using to drive their subscriptions to a broader product.

I mean I have barely watched anything on Stan but have Stan and Stan Sport for the rugby. If I could access all that rugby plus the rugby Stan doesn't have through a different provider I would drop Stan in a second even if it was barely any cheaper.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Studio to Distributor link that online streaming provides makes me doubt a content aggregator will appear again without a huge shift in either regulation, technology, cost or consumer behaviour.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I currently use the ‘Just Watch’ app as I’m sure plenty of others do. Being able to search across all the streaming services I have when I’m chasing something specific is very helpful. If they took it one step further and let me search for the show, click on the link and it automatically opened in that chosen streaming service, it would be the only app I use. That’s probably a way for them to circumnavigate being an official aggregator as such.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Thtas a very astute observation.

However it points to a broader issue, in that different competition seem to all be bid for. If the rating figures continue or say increase between LND & TT then we could see bids for each from separate broadcasters.