• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A word of support for Campo's comments.
After watching the Ireland/NZ game, I think Campo is right - comparatively, England and Australia were terrible.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Like coaches not all players can be good coaches, same with commentators.

It is time to start looking for commentators who may or may have not excelled at the elite level or even lower levels of the game but understand the game and the nuiances of it to rather commentator.

In the öld"days most commenators had to cut thier teeth on radio, this gave them the ability to learn to describe what was happening first before adding their slant due to time between seeing and verbalising what they see.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
In the öld"days most commenators had to cut thier teeth on radio, this gave them the ability to learn to describe what was happening first before adding their slant due to time between seeing and verbalising what they see.
I personally find the commentators on nationally broadcast American sports games (NBA and NFL) to be the best in any sport.

Mostly because they've had to commentate through the myriad of local broadcasts/college sports before making their way to the big games.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
BeinSports have rights to the Autumn Tests as well so the games will be on Kayo/Foxtel.
For those who didn't know, all the Autumn games (Except Ireland) are on Amazon Prime only to host nations. Ireland is the only nation showing home games on FTA.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I personally find the commentators on nationally broadcast American sports games (NBA and NFL) to be the best in any sport.

Mostly because they've had to commentate through the myriad of local broadcasts/college sports before making their way to the big games.
Yes. I reckon the NBC Sunday Night Football game is the pinnacle of live sports broadcasting - excellent commentators, and just incredible production values.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Sticking the NFL theme, rugby broadcasters - or maybe the host teams - should consider releasing additional footage for amateur analysts to work with. The NFL has given the option for fans to view the "All 22" footage, wide angle showing every player on the field on every play. Youtubers like Squidge Rugby are great for increasing engagement amongst fans, so give them the footage to work with!

Of course, host teams will be paranoid about opposition analysis, so won't do it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sticking the NFL theme, rugby broadcasters - or maybe the host teams - should consider releasing additional footage for amateur analysts to work with. The NFL has given the option for fans to view the "All 22" footage, wide angle showing every player on the field on every play. Youtubers like Squidge Rugby are great for increasing engagement amongst fans, so give them the footage to work with!

Of course, host teams will be paranoid about opposition analysis, so won't do it.
I have noticed that the majority of clips in Squidge's recent videos have had the Stan watermark on them, even for the Northern tour games. I know he originally had legal issues using footage of SANZAAR run games (Rugby Championship, Super Rugby) so I wonder if in resolving that there has been an agreement that has included them supplying him directly with the footage. If so that's a good sign for future developments.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have noticed that the majority of clips in Squidge's recent videos have had the Stan watermark on them, even for the Northern tour games. I know he originally had legal issues using footage of SANZAAR run games (Rugby Championship, Super Rugby) so I wonder if in resolving that there has been an agreement that has included them supplying him directly with the footage. If so that's a good sign for future developments.
'please stop giving our product free coverage - we hate it when rugby is exposed to more people'....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I would love an "extra stream" to show other versions of the same game, it may be with different commentary teams, no commentary, just referees talking, home fans or just the sounds of the game.

Whilst I am not the biggest fan of sky cam I would like to see what a "Madden view" game is like, in the NFL they have broadcast entire games from the sky cam behind the quarterback so it is like the Madden NFL games. It would be interesting to see what is happening from this vantage point.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
There's a lot of chat about the 'Manning Cast' alternate stream in the US for the NFL, and now the NBA is setting up their own.

Initiatives like this will eventually trickle down to AU sport, but it'd be great to see Rugby/Stan steal a march on the other codes and give it a crack first.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They are both pretty bad. Maloney is ok, tries hard at least. Only bloke I really rate at the moment is Turinui who has a lot of genuine insight.

Merts is just a Canterbury version of Kearns.
Turinui pretty solid. I don’t mind merts or drew Mitchell in small doses which Stan seems to agree with. Campo whilst a legend and obvious why brought him in - offers little in terms of modern insights on the game.

Maloney ok if toned down trying to play class clown so often as gets cringy at times. And seems to be getting worse.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I like Maloney, adds a bit of charisma to the commentating and appeals to the younger audience even if some of the older demographic find it a bit much, but thats why Campo was brought in… Beats the dire old crap that was rolled out repetitively on Foxtel at least.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You guys are bitching but we could bring the band back together

rwc-trophy-pic.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We just don't do good rugby broadcasters. Cyril Towers was okay! Gordon Bray tried hard. Apart from that, zilch.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Who does? Certainly not the Kiwis or Saffas from what I've experienced.
I personally think we should lean into it more and do away with English sensibilities and have more European commentators. I listen to the French and they are the most biased colourful commentators ever, makes the game much more entertaining. Absolutely partial, but fuck it so am I. I want entertainment

Last edited: