• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I personally think we should lean into it more and do away with English sensibilities and have more European commentators. I listen to the French and they are the most biased colourful commentators ever, makes the game much more entertaining. Absolutely partial, but fuck it so am
I. I want entertainment
Need a good woman commentator - there is very good one in uk been listening to for uk tour games. I think Kafe was ok. Overall really I don’t have a problem with Stan commentary.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Maloney would be well suited to doing more 1 v 1 skills and challenge based segments, it's something I think the next generation of players would gravitate towards.

I think it's a fair assessment that rugby doesn't have the type of relatable playing personalities as some of the other codes in Australia, mostly through lack of exposure.

It would be good to see Stan Sports bring back some of those top of the props type segments with players across the entire Super Rugby competition in 2022.

Get some players from each team along with Maloney/Mitchell to run a different skills segment for their teammates each week, rotate through all the teams across the course of the year. Bringing familiarity to the players, especially the NZ, Fijian and Pasifika players would be great for the games appeal, rather than just watching them put 40 points on our teams each week.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm hoping this is something they're keen to bring back as Maloney and some of the others really seemed to enjoy it back at fox. I'm guessing it was just too hard this year with covid bubbles and travel restrictions

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Does anyone think it be cool to get a Fijian host onto Stan, not sure who but there's gotta be a good candidate out there?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ellia Green would be an interesting option. Great personality but not sure of her analysis abilities.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting no broadcaster signed up for Dubai sevens - pity as I think sevens a great product and a fan of watching 7s games.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Am just planning for 2022 and looking at upcoming big sporting events (slow wind down to Christmas so thought I'd plan some long awaited travel),

If you're a cross-code fan of Australian sports, and want to watch them all in 2022, you'll be forking out:

Stan Sports - $30 per month
Kayo - $25 per month
Paramount+ - $9 per month

$64 per month for sports streaming. An average family household probably has Disney+, Netflix and/or Amazon happening as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Foxtel HD with all the trimmings around $60 a month? And in 2019 you could watch all the sports you needed on Kayo, for the same $25 price. The average sporting fan in Australia seems to be copping a stiff one here.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't forget that you're not locked in to a year long contract with the streaming services, you can pick up and drop them as seasons dictate.

And Foxtel is $64 just for the sports package, for the full package it's over $100 month (on a 12 month plan)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I haven't subscribed to Kayo since they lost the rugby, and I'll only grab the free trial on Paramount+ just to binge watch Twin Peaks again at some point...

And now that I've watched Nitram and Portrait of a Lady on Fire I can ditch Stan for a few months.

Win win!

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Am just planning for 2022 and looking at upcoming big sporting events (slow wind down to Christmas so thought I'd plan some long awaited travel),

If you're a cross-code fan of Australian sports, and want to watch them all in 2022, you'll be forking out:

Stan Sports - $30 per month
Kayo - $25 per month
Paramount+ - $9 per month

$64 per month for sports streaming. An average family household probably has Disney+, Netflix and/or Amazon happening as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Foxtel HD with all the trimmings around $60 a month? And in 2019 you could watch all the sports you needed on Kayo, for the same $25 price. The average sporting fan in Australia seems to be copping a stiff one here.
Also you can get Stan from $20 a month as the sports in HD regardless what package you have

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
For now - similar to how Stan Sports have started expanding their offering, I imagine Channel 10/Paramount will be looking to add more to the catalogue over the coming year.
A-league sucks. I don't think it will garner the same return in subscribers as rugby did.

Rugby is small but it is still a quality product with a fairly dedicated minor fanbase. Football fans just watch EPL.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
A-league sucks. I don't think it will garner the same return in subscribers as rugby did.

Rugby is small but it is still a quality product with a fairly dedicated minor fanbase. Football fans just watch EPL.

I don't watch any football, so I'll take your word for it

The price point though is appealing if they can stick to it and attract more sports, $9 a month for tv/movie catalogue and exclusive streaming rights to a couple of sports would be pretty enticing.

I guess the point of my original post was more reflection about how decentralised the sport viewership has become here. Just over 12 months ago it was a one stop shop. I don't think the product that Fox were producing across the board was great, but geez it was simple to follow compared to what we have now.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't watch any football, so I'll take your word for it

The price point though is appealing if they can stick to it and attract more sports, $9 a month for tv/movie catalogue and exclusive streaming rights to a couple of sports would be pretty enticing.

I guess the point of my original post was more reflection about how decentralised the sport viewership has become here. Just over 12 months ago it was a one stop shop. I don't think the product that Fox were producing across the board was great, but geez it was simple to follow compared to what we have now.
If you like soccer streaming is an issue. It’s on Stan, Fox/Kayo, Optus and Paramount.