• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This has been the biggest change for me. Actually quiet refreshing not having another betting or shitty beer ad blasted at me every injury break.

I'll never buy a bloody Yenda beer out of spite of the same ad being repeated in the same block of ads when rugby was still with Fox.
Ummm Fox never had ads during a game? Unless you mean HT but you said injury breaks.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
There's a growing sense of apathy within NZ in regards to Rugby. Their viewer numbers will have declined massively over the last decade, the key difference there is that there's a newly competiive broadcast market with Spark Sport coming in to compete with Sky. But the broadcast deal should be less about what country it is negotiated in, and more about rewarding the participants of the competition (all teams, nations).

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Is it though? All of Aus' other major sporting leagues (NRL, netball, basketball, soccer), apart from cricket and AFL, have a Kiwi team.

I'd argue that the biggest issue isn't the competition's format, rather the lack of competitiveness against NZ teams. If Aus teams were stomping all over the Kiwis week in week out no doubt engagement would be greater. Not disagreeing with you that removing the kiwis as a means to an end for competitiveness and less-predictable outcomes might be the better option, however.
They are still Aus comps though. 16 Aus sides in the NRL 1 kiwi side, a GF in Sydney every year with a guarantee that an Aus side will be in that GF. As opposed to 5 Aus sides in a 12 team comp with no GF here and no guarantee of a side being in the GF

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This has been the biggest change for me. Actually quiet refreshing not having another betting or shitty beer ad blasted at me every injury break.
I watched State of Origin on Channel 9 the other week and I watch league from time to time on Fox and their broadcasts are ad free (aside from halftime). Couldn't believe how many advertisements there were on Channel 9 during SOO, they even cut in the middle of a few try replays to head to an ad break. I know it sounds privileged but geez I found it almost unwatchable.

I am dreading the forecasted move to advertising on streaming services in order to keep the costs down, Amazon have already started putting their own trailers before shows etc.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Hamish was just interviewed on SEN.

confirmed a few things.

- ratings drop with kiwi teams involved (so we can settle this argument)
- one of the options they would look at is increasing the amount of teams
- referenced broadcasters and Australian content leading to more money available
- also mentioned that private equity could be a driving force for change in structure because it’s potentially more appealing to them
- mentioned Fiji and Japan potential opportunities

Critically he said, they are just doing their due diligence in exploring their options because what’s currently on offer isn’t necessarily in Aus interests.

Interviewer also reconfirmed that Brums boss has clarified that all Aus stakeholders are united in exploring potential options, contrary to what Highlanders boss said.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I seriously can't recall them ever having ads during a match since as far back as 2009?

That's the whole point of Foxsports/Foxtel - no ads.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
The fact they had to implement a change in 2015/16 (?) and ad campaign introducing a "No-Ads" means it was a problem before, yeah?
Yeah by my recollection they've never run ads during play - this campaign was likely just to highlight their key point of difference over FTA, aside from actually having the games in the first place

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
It's good to see a bit of finger pointing and moaning from over the ditch. Shows our fans that our administration is strong.

I agree with McLennan on several points too.

I reckon doing stuff like this is a great way to shut up the people here that dunk on the administration too, it builds base support. People like Alan Jones can't complain when we have an administration with a bit more aggro. It's smart, and you know it's smart because our adversaries don't like it

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

confirmed a few things.

- referenced broadcasters and Australian content leading to more money available
- also mentioned that private equity could be a driving force for change in structure because it’s potentially more appealing to them

Critically he said, they are just doing their due diligence in exploring their options because what’s currently on offer isn’t necessarily in Aus interests.

Interviewer also reconfirmed that Brums boss has clarified that all Aus stakeholders are united in exploring potential options, contrary to what Highlanders boss said.
I really hope we go our own way. Also do you have a link to the interview? In Melbourne I am to scared to turn SEN on. You just know it will be more relentless bashing of JDG

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Been away for a while. Can't help but cheer nay scream support for the going it alone.

Been saying it for soooooooooooo long actually got tied of saying it. Hope it happens.

The results will be amazingly good, far better than those that argued for years against it and are slowly coming across.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

confirmed a few things.

So if I am reading between the lines what RA are saying is. The current Super rugby competition while acceptabe is no longer enough of a financial neccessity. So they maybe getting $30M from Stan, walk away from Super rugby and they may still get a similar figure (with a domestic component) and potentially more given PE interest.

What benefit was last weekends final in NZ (epecially financially) to Australian rugby given a domestic competition would guarantee you a final every year, and all the other added benefits a domestic presence would give you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What benefit was last weekends final in NZ (epecially financially) to Australian rugby given a domestic competition would guarantee you a final every year, and all the other added benefits a domestic presence would give you.

The final gets a lot less viewers but there's also a lot more games to broadcast across a season with 12 teams.

They would certainly get more money from Stan if they had a larger domestic comp of sufficient quality but then they have to find a way to fund those additional teams.

My prediction is that RA's preferred option would still be continuing with the existing comp for another couple of years just with a better financial split from New Zealand. I also predict that NZ will come to the party on that to some degree because they don't want to be left going it alone.

RA should be in a far better position financially in a couple of years' time once the funds from the Lions Tour and RWC start to flow in.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The final gets a lot less viewers but there's also a lot more games to broadcast across a season with 12 teams.

They would certainly get more money from Stan if they had a larger domestic comp of sufficient quality but then they have to find a way to fund those additional teams.

My prediction is that Rugby Australia's preferred option would still be continuing with the existing comp for another couple of years just with a better financial split from New Zealand. I also predict that NZ will come to the party on that to some degree because they don't want to be left going it alone.

Rugby Australia should be in a far better position financially in a couple of years' time once the funds from the Lions Tour and RWC start to flow in.
But why would it be ther prefered option to continue the status quo, which is delivering limited benefit to the game here. Yes maybe steady as she goes considering the Lions Tour & World Cup, but how do you really deliver growth to the game here domestically.

To me what McLennan is saying is walking away from Super Rugby is no longer diving into the abyss, as the financial returns are longer compelling.

If the game is going to be in a better postion after the World cup & Lions, why not put in place now a domestic structure capable of taking advantage of that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we assumed that a domestic comp wasn't just going to revert to 5 teams (or 6 teams including the Drua) then I expect we would want more lead time and better funding arrangements than would be available in 2024.

I am saying it would be the preferred option if the financial return was better.

The issue will always be money.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Agreed it comes down to money, but IMO what McLennan is now saying is that there is no compelling financial argument to stick with Super Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agreed it comes down to money, but IMO what McLennan is now saying is that there is no compelling financial argument to stick with Super Rugby.

That's why they're asking NZ for a bigger piece of the pie.

This is just my prediction. I think they're expecting NZRU to make some sort of offer of compromise because NZRU wants to maintain SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) rather than saying no and forcing RA to walk away.