• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Some "innovation" for the upcoming broadcast:

• Blockbuster July on Stan Sport with twelve Test matches across three consecutive weekends, featuring eight of the top ten teams in the world
  • Every match streaming ad-free, live and on demand on Stan Sport
  • Wallabies v England series available to stream ad-free and in 4K on Stan Sport, with live coverage also on the 9Network
  • Innovative new bonus streams for Wallabies v England on Stan Sport, including Spider Cam & Player Cam
  • Three consecutive weekends of triple headers with All Blacks v Ireland followed by Wallabies v England and South Africa v Wales

The player cam option sounds intriguing.
The player cam interests me, but don't know how it would work, is it an option within the same stream or do you have to go out of the game and then select a separate stream to watch it then try to guess what point of the other stream you were up to if you want to switch back?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The player cam interests me, but don't know how it would work, is it an option within the same stream or do you have to go out of the game and then select a separate stream to watch it then try to guess what point of the other stream you were up to if you want to switch back?
I haven't watched it on a stream, so not sure ,only seen a bit quickly on Sky.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's not just about the money. It's also about the future of the game and forward projections in marketing.

What is an obvious "best of both worlds" is a domestic comp followed by a TT Champions league. Earnings logically should be equal. Not that it hasn't been proposed previously.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Loving the independence march. Takes you back to the glory days of losing to Tonga, because our club system wasn't good enough to produce anything better than a mostly 2nd-tier Test side that could spring the occasional surprise.

Competition? Never helped anyone.

France aren't looking too scrappy right now and they never play NZ provincial teams. Amazing.

I actually call bullshit on this idea. The Crusaders are the best because they have the systems in place and the resources necessary to identify, develop and retain the best coaching and playing talent consistently over a long period of time. Something we can't emulate with our current resources.

When they play lesser teams those other teams don't 'rise up to the challenge'. They fucking lose. Consistently, repeatedly and predictably. And this happens across all sport. This is why things like salary caps exist.

Shit teams don't get better playing good teams. They just get belted.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
France aren't looking too scrappy right now and they never play NZ provincial teams. Amazing.

I actually call bullshit on this idea. The Crusaders are the best because they have the systems in place and the resources necessary to identify, develop and retain the best coaching and playing talent consistently over a long period of time. Something we can't emulate with our current resources.

When they play lesser teams those other teams don't 'rise up to the challenge'. They fucking lose. Consistently, repeatedly and predictably. And this happens across all sport. This is why things like salary caps exist.

Shit teams don't get better playing good teams. They just get belted.
You don't have to play NZ teams, but French players have a diet of pretty high quality of rugby, with both top 14 and Heineken cup being probably at least as high as (and probably better) what Super is. That includes NZ teams too, none will tell me NZ and Aus are better without regular contact with SA, why I disliked NZR's decision to part ways although I know many on here have called for it for quite sometime, but I always thought it a mistake. I believe one of reasons ABs were bullied in forwards by French last year.
Geez Derps you live up that way don't you? You must see the quality of rugby the teams are getting on a regular basis. It's not just getting the higher standard of rugby that will make teams/players better, it also comes with good coaching etc. There is a reason thoase teams but the best players from down here, and then they not always stars up there, it's because they are playing a higher standard there.
I would say most players that go up there and return are better players for it, both better good style AND playing against different styles of rugby make for better players. Look at the likes of Nic White etc that have come back from NH, they generally are better players.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't mind Hamish having a shot since Rugby Australia have their best decade ahead of them (Content wise. Can't comment on play). NZ rugby only serve to help themselves (nothing too wrong with that) but they love to masquerade as everyone's mate....as long as it benefits them.

Rae Rae

I think after all the recent BS most oz rugby supporters secretly would be love the stick Hamish giving nzru…it seems we finally have found the right chairman for RA….

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You don't have to play NZ teams, but French players have a diet of pretty high quality of rugby, with both top 14 and Heineken cup being probably at least as high as (and probably better) what Super is. That includes NZ teams too, none will tell me NZ and Aus are better without regular contact with SA, why I disliked NZR's decision to part ways although I know many on here have called for it for quite sometime, but I always thought it a mistake. I believe one of reasons ABs were bullied in forwards by French last year.
Geez Derps you live up that way don't you? You must see the quality of rugby the teams are getting on a regular basis. It's not just getting the higher standard of rugby that will make teams/players better, it also comes with good coaching etc. There is a reason thoase teams but the best players from down here, and then they not always stars up there, it's because they are playing a higher standard there.
I would say most players that go up there and return are better players for it, both better good style AND playing against different styles of rugby make for better players. Look at the likes of Nic White etc that have come back from NH, they generally are better players.
Nar just marrying one of them

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

That absolutely seals it we have to go domestic now, John O'Neill reckons we should stick with the Kiwis.

Looking for job perhaps? If you’ve followed the inquiry into Star Entertainment at all, you’ll know JON hasn’t exactly coveted himself in glory. He has taken aim and shifted blame onto at the people he hired and promoted, and blamed them for the companies management issues.

“The board relied on information flows from the management team. And for my part, I trusted the management,” O’Neill said. “You’re only as good as the people who work for you.”

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking for job perhaps? If you’ve followed the inquiry into Star Entertainment at all, you’ll know JON hasn’t exactly coveted himself in glory. He has taken aim and shifted blame onto at the people he hired and promoted, and blamed them for the companies management issues.

“The board relied on information flows from the management team. And for my part, I trusted the management,” O’Neill said. “You’re only as good as the people who work for you.”

A key part of running a criminal enterprise is only knowing what you need to know.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This whole thing got me thinking. I've said for ages the RA mindset needs shifting that everything isn't focused at the top-level (Wallabies) and Super Rugby (or it's replacement, basically the domestic/TT club level 1 down) needs to be focus for sustainability.

People argued this is what France have, the clubs' owners hold all the power in their union and this was detrimental to the interests of their national team. This undeniably created the best club competition in the world in terms of money and now performance. They had the most representatives in the Champions league semi-finals for the past 2 years and the last 2 champions.

Well what of their national side? Constantly under-performed.

Look at them now, arguably the best side in the world. They have the best young players in the world. Make the club game the number 1 priority. It'll pay off in the long run.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

JON is like Malcom Turnbull and Kevin Rudd. They seem to have a revisionist view on history and their involvements.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting point when mentioned about it coming out in week of Super final, and why I think it seem stuff like this shouldn't be talked about in press so much.
Here we are 9 days before the opening test of a series between Wallabies and England, we in an Australian rugby forum, and only discussion seems to be what is happening in a year or two in super, and the only discussions on incoming tours are about Irish/All Blacks .
Ironic isn't it, who needs to be promoting upcoming test series huh?? I know there general talk in thread or two, but I surprised that even on roar there seems to be very little, and surprised we haven't a thread properly discussing it.
Hey I found some in Wallaby thread !

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting point when mentioned about it coming out in week of Super final, and why I think it seem stuff like this shouldn't be talked about in press so much.
Here we are 9 days before the opening test of a series between Wallabies and England, we in an Australian rugby forum, and only discussion seems to be what is happening in a year or two in super, and the only discussions on incoming tours are about Irish/All Blacks .
Ironic isn't it, who needs to be promoting upcoming test series huh?? I know there general talk in thread or two, but I surprised that even on roar there seems to be very little, and surprised we haven't a thread properly discussing it.
Hey I found some in Wallaby thread !

And yet all that discussion about the Australia and Australia A games is being held in the relevant threads, and the discussion pertaining to the broadcast deal is occurring in the... *checks notes*... broadcast thread...

Go figure?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure how you got that impression, there have been 22 posts in the wallabies thread today, twice as many as the 11 in in this thread. More broadly there has been plenty of press and discussion about the England tour, and it appears these statements have only served to get more penetration into other sections of the Australian media that don't usually offer as much rugby coverage.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure how you got that impression, there have been 22 posts in the wallabies thread today, twice as many as the 11 in in this thread. More broadly there has been plenty of press and discussion about the England tour, and it appears these statements have only served to get more penetration into other sections of the Australian media that don't usually offer as much rugby coverage.
Yep, I saw the posts there, but have been looking at ROAR etc, and seeing there about 3-4 articles on this and none on Pom tour. I take it that I hadn't noticed that most of the ones on here are in Wallabies in general and probaly laziness in just looking for thead on tour. :D