• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What we saw through the NRC was a need for the QRU and academy to be involved across both teams. I don't think I'd want to see that arrangement and professionalism lost. Both teams would need to be under the QRU, which is obvious, but in Qld I suspect it means more direct involvement than in NSW.

Also, the cheek in response of how to handle the Brumbies is amusing but ignores the nub. Australian rugby talent would need to be distributed to allow a more even talent dispersal. That scenario would very definitely involve the Brumbies - or comp failure is pretty much built in.

The thoughts on involving NZRU and also spreading their talent are a similar situation. NZRU are not going to willingly go there. No doubt a split needs to happen before they start thinking seriously about re-amalgamation and the necessary details that go with it.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think it is really commercially viable to increase the number of Australian teams. If we were to go without NZ, I'd be focusing on the relationship with Japan.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't think it is really commercially viable to increase the number of Australian teams. If we were to go without NZ, I'd be focusing on the relationship with Japan.

Any hope of getting Japan involved in a domestic league, whether Aus or Super is a pipe dream.

Japan have just established their own three tier professional domestic league and have stated they have no interest in getting involved with Aus or NZ again on that front. They got completely screwed on the Sunwolves and I doubt they have any desire to go for round 2.

That said, the JRFU CEO has stated they'd be keen on a post-season Champions League style format, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Any hope of getting Japan involved in a domestic league, whether Aus or Super is a pipe dream.

Japan have just established their own three tier professional domestic league and have stated they have no interest in getting involved with Aus or NZ again on that front. They got completely screwed on the Sunwolves and I doubt they have any desire to go for round 2.

That said, the JRFU CEO has stated they'd be keen on a post-season Champions League style format, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Works for me.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any second team would still need to be based primarily in Brisbane, but you will need areas like the Sunny Coast & Toowoomba to garner support, and they are fast growing areas.
This is my thoughts as well - I can't see how it works if you've still got 90% of the existing Reds supporters barracking for the Reds. The second team needs to be within enough proximity that fans of the Reds will jump across easily. Not saying the Sunny Coast and Tbah are ages away, but unless the home stadium for majority of the games is within 20mins of the CBD, I reckon you'll find it a tough ask.

The Dolphins in the NRL will work from a supporter sense because they're a historical club at Q Cup level, and that area was already full of Broncos supporters, now they'll just change jerseys and support their old Uncle Wayne.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So you think there's an option for Ipswitch / Logan Rugby team.. or is it more a League area.
Ipswich Stadium.JPG

It would be a nice stadium if it was not considered such a league heartland.

I think there are enough Rugby fans in Logan and Ipswich to support a team, it is a matter of trying to get the thousands of Kiwis to go back to Rugby

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
This is my thoughts as well - I can't see how it works if you've still got 90% of the existing Reds supporters barracking for the Reds. The second team needs to be within enough proximity that fans of the Reds will jump across easily. Not saying the Sunny Coast and Tbah are ages away, but unless the home stadium for majority of the games is within 20mins of the CBD, I reckon you'll find it a tough ask.

The Dolphins in the NRL will work from a supporter sense because they're a historical club at Q Cup level, and that area was already full of Broncos supporters, now they'll just change jerseys and support their old Uncle Wayne.
I wonder what Reds fans did with the previous NRC?

I know for me I supported both QLD teams equally except, when they played each other I favoured Country by a small amount.

If they can be seen as both being Reds teams and others support both like me then there will be a home game each week. The Reds could sell season tickets that cover both teams at once and promote the teams as the first step to being a Red.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder what Reds fans did with the previous NRC?

I know for me I supported both QLD teams equally except, when they played each other I favoured Country by a small amount.

If they can be seen as both being Reds teams and others support both like me then there will be a home game each week. The Reds could sell season tickets that cover both teams at once and promote the teams as the first step to being a Red.
Nothing wrong with interest in a couple of teams either, I have more then one team i support in NFL/NRL/NBA.
In the NRL i think most Broncos fans would also support the Cowboys to a degree.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
View attachment 14156

I think there are enough Rugby fans in Logan and Ipswich to support a team, it is a matter of trying to get the thousands of Kiwis to go back to Rugby
Well League didn't go that way, how bout we steal their name as well and have a QLD Jet's Rugby team playing out of the stadium...

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

Bob's your father's brother. Two rounds of Super Rugby AU (10 fixtures) into Champions League.

For sake of argument, Drua stay with us - our top 4 and their top 2 into a 'Premiership' which plays 5 fixtures (everybody once) and then top 3 play a SF, and a Final. Our bottom 2 and their 3rd and 4th into a 'Championship' which play round robin and then a final. Possibly involve top 2 MLR in the Championship to echo the format.

Reckon our mates across the ditch would be pretty jealous of that...

Marce

John Thornett (49)
That is Australia's need for a genuine domestic competition (which is by far the most preferred option to the Australian sporting public).

It's complicated cause the number one nation ATM have 4 professional teams. If you destroy Super Rugby and start from 0, is gonna be a loooong way to be a power nation again. Not many countries in the world has an own professional competition. There are: England, France, New Zealand, South Africa and that's all. Then you have Tier 1 nations without a professional domestic competition like Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Australia and Argentina.

It's a worldwide problem, and maybe for a satured sport market like the Australian, this is the way to go.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
View attachment 14156

First of all, bring back Reds supporters to Suncorp. The attendances have been so low in the last seasons due to the poor performances. If you can't support one team properly, u can't think in a second to splid the few resources.

Waratahs is the best example that a good team with courage and passion can attract the old school supportes on board again. So first step, make Reds great again

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It's complicated cause the number one nation ATM have 4 professional teams. If you destroy Super Rugby and start from 0, is gonna be a loooong way to be a power nation again. Not many countries in the world has an own professional competition. There are: England, France, New Zealand, South Africa and that's all. Then you have Tier 1 nations without a professional domestic competition like Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Australia and Argentina.

It's a worldwide problem, and maybe for a satured sport market like the Australian, this is the way to go.
Argentina have their own comp now

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Argentina have their own comp now
No mate. It's a mini Super Rugby. A competition between semi-professional teams from Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay and Colombia. Only 6 teams, one per country.

The only team 100% professional is the Argie, the others are 80/70% professional. The Chilenean players went 6 months wihout receiving their salaries.

The stadiums are empty in most of the cases. No properly sponsorship, it's something like the Pacific Nations tournament or Pacific Super Rugby franchises. Without the money from World Rugby this is gonna dissapear in 2 seconds