• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
IPTV/Web Tv is going to remain a niche paid service for a while. What we need is broad Super Rugby availability through FTA but before that happens the issues that have been identified need to be addressed. The ARU needs an overhaul and whatever the new body/crew running things turns out to be - they need to properly address the Broadcast Rights issue as a serious priority and some cosy exclusive with Foxtel that locks us out of FTA can't continue.

There is no quick fix but clearly premium sports content is desirable. We need a better packaged and higher quality product to maximize returns and exposure.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Does anyonw know how the super rugby internet rights are sold - ie are they a stand along package like the AFL's model, or are they part of the overall broadcast deal with Fox?

Bay35Pablo

Frank Row (1)
Does anyonw know how the super rugby internet rights are sold - ie are they a stand along package like the AFL's model, or are they part of the overall broadcast deal with Fox?
You tell me, probably sold it along with the kids for a job lot.

Given the NBL's model with IPTV, rugby might want to start looking at it ....

dangerousdave

Frank Nicholson (4)

I think they are sold to foxtel. I'm pretty sure when I was living out of home in 2011 and looking at streaming coverage from foxtel you either had to pay a ridiculous amount of money or be an EXISTING pay TV subscriber.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Don’t expect high penetration of IPTV and streaming in the short term. However, SANZAR should look at the longer term, say 10-15 years from now where it will in all likelihood be a viable alternative delivery method for rugby and have sufficient demand. It will take a while to iron out the kinks in any offering so now is the time to do the research and testing so they can have an offering the next time the rights are negotiated for post 2015.

The next time the rights come up for negotiation, SANZAR should split the broadcast and internet/streaming right to determine what the market values each delivery method. If Foxtel wants both fine, if not then good luck to the highest bidder.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm all for the online streaming idea. My question relates more to cost more than anything else. By that I mean in the set up. With mny if not most new TVs now coming with internet capability it could certainly be worthwhile investigating. Though at least initially it would need to be the local competitions and such as it would be too much of an initial risk in terms of finances to go down the this track with Super Rugby. I know there is already a group doing this, but to pull it off it would require additional content likely from both the Brisbane and ACT competitions and more camera's to cover the game. The question then would be "will people pay to watch club rugby" if it was provided as a bundle? Or would we need to seriously look to once again try and establish another competition to fill the gap and create value.

The 'try before you buy' option you suggest seems very interesting. Let me get this straight. Sky broadcasts this channel on the same platform as say BBC and such? If so, then it would be interesting to get in Foxtel ear about this as putting the option of a sports package up on the FTA digital platform would actually make good business sense as long its for a a similar fee to the Sky version. They'd expand their audience quite significantly.

no it's just an app for your iphone and ipod (i think android might have one as well). you pay 5 pounds a month and get LIVE access to Sky Sports 1-4, Sky Sports News and ESPN. It was released a couple of years ago and recently was updated to allow streaming through 3g networks as well as WIFI so you can watch on the go. Frankly it means i don't have to get a full subscription, which i can't get in my flat atm anyway, as i'm happy watching sport on a ipad screen.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Cheers for the reminder.

Ten haven't been broadcasting this.

Time to ask some questions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has anyone watched the highlights on ten? Wasn't that suppose too happen?

Ten is in the rating shit, if they were to stick on a highlights package, you can expect it to be at 11.00pm on their second digital channel.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So Mrs Braveheart was away on the weekend and my two games of cricket were washed out due to the terrible weather in Sydney.

I watched 7 games of Super Rugby, 2 games of Six Nations, 1 game of NRL (the Foundation Cup), and a fair bit of the Australia vs India test cricket.

I think I need help!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Ten is in the rating shit, if they were to stick on a highlights package, you can expect it to be at 11.00pm on their second digital channel.

They are also showing it at 3 on a wednesday arvo.

I think the ideal time for it would be 5 on a monday arvo. Like the english premier league highlights show on fox.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Mrs Braveheart was away on the weekend and my two games of cricket were washed out due to the terrible weather in Sydney.

I watched 7 games of Super Rugby, 2 games of Six Nations, 1 game of NRL (the Foundation Cup), and a fair bit of the Australia vs India test cricket.

I think I need help!

No Top 14 and missed a 6N.. poor effort

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They are also showing it at 3 on a wednesday arvo.

I think the ideal time for it would be 5 on a monday arvo. Like the english premier league highlights show on fox.

best option is get a tivo or foxtel IQ et al and just watch it when you choose

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Just noticed there is an app allowing the subscriber to watch six NRL games live each week during the regular season (plus finals + some rep games) for $90 per year. Quality could be iffy, but certainly an alternative to Foxtel.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...l#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS50ZWxzdHJhLm5ybCJd

Hope to see this as an option for Super Rugby and The Rugby Championship from SANZAR post 2015 when the next contract is negotiated. Currently, Foxtel does have its Go app, but it is bundled with a Foxtel plan.