• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well the rumour is that the NRC will be sold inclusive with the next Super Rugby broadcast rights. Depending on which way you look at it, that is a positive and a negative.

Its a positive because it will guarantee the NRC existence for the next 6? years, but it could be a negative as it now has zero opportunity of featuring on FTA...

As someone who doesn't have Foxtel and is unlikely to get it for the foreseeable future, that's a shame. But I reckon it's brilliant if it means it stays around for 6 years. That's a fantastic result.

T

TOCC

As someone who doesn't have Foxtel and is unlikely to get it for the foreseeable future, that's a shame. But I reckon it's brilliant if it means it stays around for 6 years. That's a fantastic result.

Yep I agree that it's a massive positive for the future of the competition if true..

I also don't have Foxtel but I have managed to leach off a family members account using FoxtelGo for the past year.

FoxtelGo on the MacBook streaming to the tv through AppleTV, it's been my saviour and surprisingly quite legal.

T

Train Without a Station

Firstly, how do you guys live without Foxtel? :eek:

Secondly, I read an article linked from facebook yesterday saying that the Shute Shield WOULD be broadcast in 2016. Has anybody heard any more on this?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
But, looking at it all a different way, with change comes opportunity. What TV is looking for desperately is $$ which comes from advertising. Yes its sad that ABC are cutting some sports (including SS) but it does open up some sponsorship options, Add in that the the V8's are leaving for Foxtel and will only have a limited showing on FTA (FTA needs content to fill = more opportunity if you have advertising $$) and some V8 sponsors have walked (again opportunity for the game to grab some sponsor dollars and see if FTA will answer the knock at the door) the game may actually be able to use all these factor to go forward.

So we have a foot in the FTA door, and at least the NRC is a product is available to be sold...its a start, not ideal or the pot of gold but opportunity none the less.

Advertising money is irrelevant to the getting ABC coverage, they don't sell advertising.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Firstly, how do you guys live without Foxtel? :eek:

Secondly, I read an article linked from facebook yesterday saying that the Shute Shield WOULD be broadcast in 2016. Has anybody heard any more on this?

ABC News has been reporting that from 2015 many sports previously covered by them, including Shute Shield games, will no longer be broadcast.

Like you, I simply don't know how any sports fan could be without Fox Sports. Not just rugby, but cycling from around the world, overseas cricket including Aus tests, MotoGP etc.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Advertising money is irrelevant to the getting ABC coverage, they don't sell advertising.

Its relevant to any potential club sponsor looking for wider exposure than the people who turn up at the ground.
Take the Wicks - Peters of Kensington do not only sell to the coogee faithful and Im sure they justify the cost on the basis that some number of people are reminded of their existence.
for instance, my old mum would never go to a club game but she watches the Shute Shield every Saturday.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Its relevant to any potential club sponsor looking for wider exposure than the people who turn up at the ground.
Take the Wicks - Peters of Kensington do not only sell to the coogee faithful and Im sure they justify the cost on the basis that some number of people are reminded of their existence.
for instance, my old mum would never go to a club game but she watches the Shute Shield every Saturday.
I only meant with regard to the ABC's decision to cover or not cover a sport.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
So just to bring everything up to speed I’ve summarised the following rumours.

From 2016 onwards
Fox (and to a lesser extent channel 10) have allegedly agreed to....

$40 million per year. (up from $25)
Includes Wallabies, SupeRugby and NRC
6 year term
4 conferences with Argies and Japan.
1 game to be replayed on Channel 10 at a fixed slot on Sunday mornings.
NSWRU speaking with broadcasters re Shute Shield – the only channel to nibble at this would be 10.

Meanwhile the ARU slash everything out of Australian rugby for 2015 and sweat on a pay day.....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am pretty sure that the first season of Shute Shield to be televised was 1956. I was at Eastwood's home game against St George and it was certainly the first game ever televised from the old Eastwood Oval.

From memory, Eddie Stapleton scored a bunch of tries for St George, who were a very strong team in those days.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Did I say ABC or FTA? The sad reality is we need the game to be self-sufficient, and the SS was lucky enough to have dined out of the charity of the government via the ABC. But it's gone and the reality it need $$ to make the magic happen so the men can run around in the picture portal in your living room. If the ABC had $$ they would still be broadcasting. If it didn’t cost ABC $$, and they just could beam it out at no cost to them they would probably be happy to do so.

So SS need to get $$, and the most likely people you will find willing to give $$ are sponsors who like to advertise (maybe not on the ABC); then with the $$ you can ask people to do the magic to make the pictures appear in your living room.

So for those willing to be open minded and think out of the box might try marrying some elements like the broadcasters who put together the non-Foxtel NRC broadcasts, some commercial sponsor $$ and you have a package to broadcast for free, or sell, even if it's to the ABC for a $1, or dare I say for more than a $1 to FTA channel is you get super lucky, or internet based channel........... who knows, it might even make a dollar or two.

T

Train Without a Station

FYI the ARU has basically been sponsoring it for years.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Well the rumour is that the NRC will be sold inclusive with the next Super Rugby broadcast rights. Depending on which way you look at it, that is a positive and a negative.

Its a positive because it will guarantee the NRC existence for the next 6? years, but it could be a negative as it now has zero opportunity of featuring on FTA...

I think there are still huge opportunities in FTA for rugby. I thought after the first NRC game, a Friday night slot for NRC from October to mid-late November could be attractive for FTA broadcasters. I also think a Friday night slot for a Seven's series played over 6 weeks would be attractive TV in that mid-late Spring time frame. 15 minute games, high energy, play 8 games per night ( 8 teams, two games) with a finals tournament at the end of the series. Maybe even play each week in a new location as a two evening carnival of pool matches... A good 2.5hrs content, plenty of spots for advertising, chance to take games all around the country...

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Channel 10 appear to not be showing the Wallabies vs Poms this weekend!, its not in the TV guide for my region.

Anyone know the reason for this??.

R

Redsfan

Pretty sure that it's outside the official test window, and therefore probably doesn't fall under their contract. I'd imagine that they have the rights to all games in the official IRB test window, or something like that.