• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
A thought. Could the return of Matt Giteau on a 1-year deal be the silver bullet the Brumbies need next year, to play 10?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Inside Shoulder I have heard the same from a few school and club coaches here in Sydney who have visited the Brumbies in the last couple of years. Rugby program is extremely well run and professional and that the players as well as Larkham, McKellar and Ryan are all very welcoming and happy to share their thoughts and ideas. From a rugby point of view I think the Brumbies will continue to have an excellent program and culture.

Considering Brumbies operate out of a small (comparative) city / region, late comer to the NSW/QLD rugby domination of amateur era....and given recent success over last decade as consistently rated at or near top of oz Super Rugby franchises performance wise ....I have to say the Brumbies are a model must be one worth replicating....

Maybe a few hiccups in its short history....but definitely they must be doing something very right....is there something we can learn from this to apply to other regions.....?

Reactions: mst

dru

Tim Horan (67)
As a kid who loved his rugby (in Brisbane) I always enjoyed visiting cousins in Canberra. Their rugby was awesome.

Imo The ACT is a rugby region in its own right beyond the focus of Sydney/Brisbane as "East Coast".

Reactions: mst

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
ATM pretty much SFA. I am not defending Bernie in his position as Wallabies' attack coach. Just pointing out that that is his position for 2017 along with the head coach spot at the Brumbies. And it seems to be that it is at Cheika's behest.

One issue I will raise though. 2016 was a terrible year off the field for the Brumbies. So long as matters are sorted before 2017 gets underway, there is every chance that the coaching and game plan will improve from this tear's base.

Sweeping stuff under the carpet isn't sorting it (and neither is paying people out with non-disclosure clauses), there are still police investigations underway are there not??

Anyway we have to hope that game plans execution and basic skills improve because I doubt Australian rugby can survive more of this year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
One thing the rugby powers-that-be have done successfully in Canberra is to integrate the junior club and school competitions, albeit through necessity as there were never going to be enough numbers to support two separate comps. The stronger traditional rugby schools (Daramalan, Eddies, Marist Pearce and Canberra Grammar) still end up near the top most years, but other schools and junior clubs get meaningful games of rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
One thing the rugby powers-that-be have done successfully in Canberra is integrate the junior club and school competitions, albeit through necessity as there were never going to be enough numbers to support two separate comps. The stronger traditional rugby schools(Daramalan, Eddies, Marist Pearce and Canberra Grammar) still end up near the top most years, but other schools and junior clubs get meaningful games of rugby.
And irony is they did it out of necessity as smaller city whilst would be the ideal if other states followed suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Maybe that is why NZL is so strong in their junior development programs.

Apart from Auckland, none of their cities are really big enough to support exclusive Private School closed shop competitions like we have in Sydney and South East Qld. When you are in New Plymouth (pop 680000), the Private Schools, Public Schools and Clubs must work together to have a meaningful competition. NZL is full of cities the size of New Plymouth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems like Coleman had a better chance of being in the starting XV for the Brumbies in 2017 compared to the Force.

Looks very likely that Jooste has to be the first choice 10 now.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Perhaps the Brums are about to sign another flyhalf? I assume they've now got a spot open.

You would say so - but he probably won't be an Aussie unless it's BERRICK BARNES or MATT GITEAU?!?!

Note: These are completely unfounded rumours.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Perhaps the Brums are about to sign another flyhalf? I assume they've now got a spot open.
4629f12c4529ad044b5ac570a99857e0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.