• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I see that McCaffrey has been named in the starting side against the Rebels - he was in very good form prior to injury, but Pocock still out. Just wondering from a Brumbies fan view, what is the feeling about CLL being 'rested' this season after being allowed to play in Ireland prior to Super Rugby season - that seems to have negatively impacted his ability to turn up week in week out this season for the Brumbies. These off season overseas gigs can be quite negative for the Australian teams the player is contracted to.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thrilled to see McCaffrey back, and I like the look of that backrow. Wallaby Bolter status re-engaged!

I think it was good to give Lilo the game time overseas. He’s clearly up to the standard of Super Rugby mentally; he has an uncanny ability to deceive defenders, great vision, and good decision making. But Hawera has taken the 10 jersey because he is currently better than Lilo when it comes to execution, and that’s more of a form and match fitness issue in my mind. If Lilo needs rests, give him rests; the guy just came back from leukaemia. If he’s up to playing, then he may be a bit off at the moment, but he’ll only get better as he gets back into the swing of things.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I see that McCaffrey has been named in the starting side against the Rebels - he was in very good form prior to injury, but Pocock still out. Just wondering from a Brumbies fan view, what is the feeling about CLL being 'rested' this season after being allowed to play in Ireland prior to Super Rugby season - that seems to have negatively impacted his ability to turn up week in week out this season for the Brumbies. These off season overseas gigs can be quite negative for the Australian teams the player is contracted to.
I would say that the cancer was probably more negative..Going oversea was the right option he needed game time not more rest.. They planned it to have him go get some game time start the season with a rest in the middle..He needed to find his feet again before being thrown straight into super rugby..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If McKellar isn't fired before the start of next season, it's a disgrace.
And people bad mouthed Larkham..Jesus were shot..I just can't see where our next win comes from..at least Rory made my dad smashing people and being a one man mual destroyer..Vanitini had a big first half..We missed Sio once he was KO'd..Did I see last night that since the beginning of 2017 AAA had the most tackles and most run metre of any prop in Super Rugby go you good thing.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Sadly its only a performance issue that dragging the club down so nothing serious.

Now if it were a personality issue we all know the board are partial to a good gang style knife fight. ;)

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Sadly its only a performance issue that dragging the club down so nothing serious.

Now if it were a personality issue we all know the board are partial to a good gang style knife fight. ;)

Is there something in McKellar's game plan that you think is at fault? At what point do the experienced players become responsible rather than just the coach? Guys like CLL, Kuridrani, Speight, Arnold, AAA, Sio, Carter are all very experienced, and Powell has had a few seasons now. Quite a few Wallaby caps in there. Shouldn't they be able to work out what to do themselves, and to change plans if something isn't working? He's not playing them out of position. He has Laurie Fisher there too. Do you blame him as well?[/quote]

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Is there something in McKellar's game plan that you think is at fault? At what point do the experienced players become responsible rather than just the coach? Guys like CLL, Kuridrani, Speight, Arnold, AAA, Sio, Carter are all very experienced, and Powell has had a few seasons now. Quite a few Wallaby caps in there. Shouldn't they be able to work out what to do themselves, and to change plans if something isn't working? He's not playing them out of position. He has Laurie Fisher there too. Do you blame him as well?
There are many things in McKellar "game plan" that are wrong like the lack of a comprehensible plan. But for starters 5 of the 8 players you mentioned should not be being selected due to the poor form or are just past it / unable to perform at this level. It not hard to identify the issues. Take Kuridrani for example. On Saturday night there were a few occasions where he clearly did not know what the rest of the back line was doing and way of any position where he could doing anything or even was doing anything. He has some of the poorest stats in the competition in comparison to other centres but has played almost every minute. Many supporters are starting to wonder if the odd numbers train on one day and the evens another as they don't seem to know what each other doing. But this was all well know prior to McKellar's appointment and why a significant amount of people did not want him to get the job. What is happening under McKellar's reign is not unsurprising at all sadly. The GAGR forums provide the evidence of that before he was formally announced.

As for leadership that went when Fardy left. Watch when Pocock plays. He does most of the talking to the ref's and Cater as usual is absent. IMHO Carter would struggle to lead himself out of a deadend street. Nice bloke but....

"Shouldn't they be able to work out what to do themselves, and to change plans if something isn't working?" I suppose a player mutiny is possible and has happened at the Brumbies. But if it were that easy you figure it would of happened at the Reds in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.....:D

He does have Laurie (good friend and who brought McKellar in to the Brumbies as an assistant) and Hewitt, Rhino etc. But its abundantly clear some also are also not up to the task. At this point there is only one I would keep.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lolo Fakaosilea seems to be moving on effective immediately. Any suggestions as to where?
Australian Rugby's inability to develop these talented youngsters is so indicative of the problems in the game.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lolo Fakaosilea seems to be moving on effective immediately. Any suggestions as to where?
Australian Rugby's inability to develop these talented youngsters is so indicative of the problems in the game.
Japan, according to Rugby.com.au

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Quite apart from the now limited Super team opportunities (#shrinkyoureselftogreatness), is one of the problems generational ?Younger players, who have been lauded and promised great riches are not prepared to wait and develop themselves below super level. of course this is predicated on having coaches and a level below supe in which to develop.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
But for starters 5 of the 8 players you mentioned should not be being selected due to the poor form or are just past it / unable to perform at this level.

I'll go to bat for the players here. Everything I ever hear from the players is a total lack of faith in the system. They knew McKellar was going to be appointed and that he wasn't up for the job, but now he's here and it's worse than they thought. It's clear that Fisher and Palmer are good at their jobs: I doubt Folau Fainga'a just magically learnt to throw in the lineout over the last two weeks, that was certainly a coaching success; likewise, it's really only been JP Smith who has managed to dominate our scrum, and I won't begrudge him anything.

Players are good. Compare this team to the team that team Larkham started with:
Front Row:
Sio -> Sio
Moore -> Mann-Rea
Alexander -> Ala'alatoa
Sio is better than he was, Mann-Rea is as dependable as Moore (if a level below), Ala'alatoa is an improvement on Benny A.

Second Row:
Rory -> Rory
Carter -> Carter
Exactly the same with years of experience, now playing in their prime years and some of the best lineout options and scrummaging locks in the competition.

Backrow:
Fardy -> McCaffrey
Butler -> Pocock
Mowen -> Naisarani
McCaffrey isn't as good as Fardy, but definitely the same type of player, while Pocock and Naisarani are improvements (and you won't find a bigger Ben Mowen than me fan outside his family).

Halves:
White -> Powell
To'omua -> Hawera
Definite downgrade in both positions, with a complete change in the type of scrumhalf, but similar style between To'omua and Hawera.

Centres:
Lealiifano -> Lealiifano
Kuridrani -> Kuridrani
Literally the same pairing that took us to a Super Rugby final and two semi finals.

Back Three:
Tomane -> Peni
Speight -> Speight
Mogg -> Banks
Speight is worse than he was, downgrades in the other two positions.

In the forward pack, we've definitely improved, and I wouldn't be messing around with that set up (either the players or the coaches). In the backs, we're worse than we were, but definitely not bad. It's clear there's no plan for how they attack, and the narrow defensive line constantly leaves players exposed out wide. I'd like a scrumhalf with a better kicking game, but otherwise I'm happy with this group. I'm not happy with the coaching, and that needs to be addressed ASAP.

I will criticise Carter's captaincy. He's clearly a respected player, and definitely leads from the front, but you don't need him to be captain to get the benefits of that from him. In terms of working the Ref and making good decisions, we've fallen a long way from Mowen. But lord knows who should replace him.

I mean, long story short, I blame McKellar and (kind of) Hewett, some extra blame going to Ryan, but mostly it's on the board; I know the ARU had their hand on the scales with Dave Wessels, but we didn't even try to sign him. We knew Larkham was leaving, but we didn't even approach guys like Colin Cooper or Leon MacDonald when they were still at their NPC teams, or get in touch with someone like Vern Cotter, who knew he was losing the Scotland job. These are guys who build a culture of respect and hard work, who know how they want the game played but make changes to accomodate the available players, who have a track record of developing young players and guiding teams through a rebuild, and we didn't even try. We did what the Reds did every time they rehired Graham and then when they moved on to Stiles, we checked the car park and took the guy who was already here.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And people bad mouthed Larkham..Jesus were shot..I just can't see where our next win comes from..at least Rory made my dad smashing people and being a one man mual destroyer..Vanitini had a big first half..We missed Sio once he was KO'd..Did I see last night that since the beginning of 2017 AAA had the most tackles and most run metre of any prop in Super Rugby go you good thing.

Allan is consistently the best THP going round in Aus rugby this year. Should be first pick for the Wallaby spot with Tupou on the bench.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I will criticise Carter's captaincy. He's clearly a respected player, and definitely leads from the front, but you don't need him to be captain to get the benefits of that from him. In terms of working the Ref and making good decisions, we've fallen a long way from Mowen. But lord knows who should replace him.

I think Pocockl is your obvious choice as he is constantly in the ref's ear anyway, to the extent that I had thought that they had made him captain. He seems to have a good rapport with them, not sure who else you have.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pocock was the only one who could manage Gus Gardner before he came good, and it's near impossible to dislike the guy. I don't think it solves our problems, but neither Carter nor Lilo are either.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I blame McKellar and (kind of) Hewett, some extra blame going to Ryan, but mostly it's on the board; I know the ARU had their hand on the scales with Dave Wessels, but we didn't even try to sign him. We knew Larkham was leaving, but we didn't even approach guys like Colin Cooper or Leon MacDonald when they were still at their NPC teams, or get in touch with someone like Vern Cotter, who knew he was losing the Scotland job. These are guys who build a culture of respect and hard work, who know how they want the game played but make changes to accomodate the available players, who have a track record of developing young players and guiding teams through a rebuild, and we didn't even try. We did what the Reds did every time they rehired Graham and then when they moved on to Stiles, we checked the car park and took the guy who was already here.

I suspect a major reason why blokes like McKellar, Graham and Stiles get picked are because they’re cheap. Blokes with better pedigree can command much better money OS than our super teams seem to be willing (or able?) to spend. The best hope of getting a well credentialed coach is getting someone that’s got their eye on the bigger prize of Wallabies coach, a la Jake White. Of course the problem with that is they won’t stay long, they’ll either get the Wallabies gig or split when they don’t.

Maybe next year a few decent coaches might be willing to take a pay cut and take on one of Aus super sides, with an eye to taking over the Wallabies after we crash and burn at RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.