• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Cusack a 7? I personally thought he was a 6 playing 7 as A there were no better 7s and B to get Valenti on in 6.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I think he provided a kind of hybrid role.......... he's a very mobile big man who gets through a load of work - and he was a pilfering machine against the Drua.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
His super rugby debut was less then 12 months ago

Ah yep, for some reason I was equating his previous years NRC with the Soup.......... Still, he was the Force player of the year in his debut season - I'm not concerned by any supposed "lack of experience."

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wouldn't refer to a year of anything as experienced. Nothing 'supposed' about it. Still an amazing talent that will start and continue to kick ass.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you put it that way, Kurtley Beale's test winning percentage is higher than both of them.

Maybe I should change my argument :)

Reactions: dru

Wr1

Stan Wickham (3)
This is far from ideal but Pocock should now be healthy for the whole test season and leading towards the 2019 RWC.

He is statistically our most important player. There's no mystery why he is on one of the highest value contracts in Australian rugby and RA has made various concessions to sweeten the deal.

Who knows what the medical advice he received previously was but based on what we know now it would seem that he should have had the knee surgery whilst he was having an extended break from rugby.

Very disappointed in Pocock and this situation that the Brumbies have been left in. Pocock needs to come back and play well when he is right. In the meantime, he should be out earning his wage and promoting rugby. He should be manning the phones and engaging with members/sponsors, and then (when school returns) going out and running coaching clinics and introducing young people to the game. I have no doubt that he will do all his rehab work and will give everything upon his return, but he has taken/is taking the Brums for a ride at the moment.

Wr1

Stan Wickham (3)
With poey out I'd be using Mccaffrey @ 6 as an experienced grafter and Naisarani @ 8 with cusack @ 7.

Bit light on the ball but a big mobile - mobile being a key word - backrow with Valetini on the bench.

100% agree on McCaffrey playing 6- I just think that it should be for Royals in probably reserve grade.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Losing Pocock for the first few weeks of the season hurts, unquestionably, but some reports are saying he should be back for the first home game. The benefit from this is that we were wondering which of Cusack and Valetini should start at 6, so now we get a chance to see them both in the same games and judge accordingly.

Pocock will start as soon as he is fit (if that knee is ever fit anymore). Naisarani was a massive signing, the best possible Smiler replacement, and will be the 8. I think the dark horse in this backrow race is Fakaosilea, who is now only one injury away from starting and maybe keeping the spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really haven't been impressed with Fakaosilea.............

I would place him below McCaffrey and Hyne (when fit) in the pecking order.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I really haven't been impressed with Fakaosilea.....

I would place him below McCaffrey and Hyne (when fit) in the pecking order.
I have too agree, Fakaosilea has been pretty ordinary.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One consideration to throw in to the Pocock situation that IMHO is worth considering.

The Brumbies rehab programme has got him and a few others through knee re-co's etc pretty well and they have a good track record.

If you were Pocock and the Brumbies where would you prefer to get the repair done?

I am wondering as Pocock was not long off the plane and in to surgery if he had already alerted the Brumbies and this was planned.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
One consideration to throw in to the Pocock situation that IMHO is worth considering.

The Brumbies rehab programme has got him and a few others through knee re-co's etc pretty well and they have a good track record.

If you were Pocock and the Brumbies where would you prefer to get the repair done?

I am wondering as Pocock was not long off the plane and in to surgery if he had already alerted the Brumbies and this was planned.
Articles I've read basically said the Brumbies decided too get it done while he was more then ready too deal with it. It was there call not his.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Articles I've read basically said the Brumbies decided too get it done while he was more then ready too deal with it. It was there call not his.

I struggle to understand any team that was advised of the issue with some notice would not get medical advice immediately and then would say no finish the season with your Japanese team then get surgery we don't need you as much as they do. Happy to keep paying you even though it's been 18 months since you played for us!

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pity about Pocock but it appears the decision has the blessing of the hierarchy. Better the short term pain and long term gain I say.

Brumbies have a great culture and I'm sure that whoever steps in will not disappoint.There is bound to be another Smiler or Butler lurking although would have been good to have Alcock available.

There will be a weight of expectation on the team this year, having finished first in the conference last year despite most writing them off. Hope supporters don't get too feral if there are early slip ups.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

That is a very good reason for getting it done during his sabatical - in Canberra. The criticism of Pocock has been ott during this period, “I’ve got the gasoline, you bring the matches”. It may simply be the way things happened, but a major risk in this sabatical thing is this sort of outcome, It’s not a good look.

T

TOCC

And again.... if he wasn’t been paid for his sabbatical year off, why would he get elective surgery on something which is directly related to his work.

Most likely scenario is that the injury has worsened using his time in Japan... but for the ARU and Brumbies, you get what you ask for when you agree to sabbatical deals and Flexi-contracts..I don’t blame Pocock at all in this situation.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
And again.. if he wasn’t been paid for his sabbatical year off, why would he get elective surgery on something which is directly related to his work.

Most likely scenario is that the injury has worsened using his time in Japan. but for the ARU and Brumbies, you get what you ask for when you agree to sabbatical deals and Flexi-contracts..I don’t blame Pocock at all in this situation.

With these type of things insurance and cost could be a factor. If it is proven that it got worse while he was playing for Panasonic maybe they pick up the tab?

Status
Not open for further replies.