• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2022

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So do they look at promoting Rod Seib, getting Peter Hewatt back, or for a candidate from outside their system to replace McKellar from 2023 onwards?

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I feel like Wessels was full of promise but never really converted it. Tim Sampson would be a sensational get if he was interested.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tim Sampson would be a good get, but maybe the return of Bernie Larkham, who, when all is said and done, was merely a scapegoat for Cheika when released by the Wallabies.

He definitely was a scapegoat BR, but he also never really excelled when coaching the Brumbies.

Reactions: mst

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Tim Sampson would be a good get, but maybe the return of Bernie Larkham, who, when all is said and done, was merely a scapegoat for Cheika when released by the Wallabies.

No thanks. About the only attacking threat we had while he was coach was the rolling maul.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bernie had a number of set piece plays that he introduced to the Wallabies. At the time, that bit of attack was the only sign of competency across the whole Wallaby coaching setup. Remember the barn dance defensive system brought in by Gray with Cheika's approval? Remember the absolute lack of a game plan from Cheika? Bernie was just starting to get results but apparently wasn't the yes man required by the head coach, so he went. I understand he has been enhancing his reputation in the meantime.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This Stephen larkham guys sounds pretty amazing, wallabies must have been scoring a mountain of tries when he was in charge of attack

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Bernie had a number of set piece plays that he introduced to the Wallabies. At the time, that bit of attack was the only sign of competency across the whole Wallaby coaching setup. Remember the barn dance defensive system brought in by Gray with Cheika's approval? Remember the absolute lack of a game plan from Cheika? Bernie was just starting to get results but apparently wasn't the yes man required by the head coach, so he went. I understand he has been enhancing his reputation in the meantime.

Bit early to start rewriting history isn't it? Attack was crap.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I wouldnt complain if Bernie came back to Canberra, we could do a fuck ton worse then someone who's been a head coach / assistant international coach and now has a bunch of oversea's experience.

sure beats the fuck out of winning a couple of shute shields and dusting out the American league with a bunch of stars.

But like any other job, they should all have to apply for the position and be the best candidate ... unlike me who's always got jobs based on who I know not what I know.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I would be chasing Hewat. Since he left the Brumbies have been like a trolley with a dodgy wheel. If not I think its time to go with a fresh face in the organisation.

Not sure is recycling is the way to go. Bernie newer got the Brumbies going, (nor the Wallabies attack) and the Brumbies took another step up after he left.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This Stephen larkham guys sounds pretty amazing, wallabies must have been scoring a mountain of tries when he was in charge of attack
I’m not sure if Larkham would be a good choice as head coach, but given that Cheika was pretty open about the fact that he punted then because he directly opposed Cheika’s views on how the attack should run, the fact that the attack was shit probably shouldn’t be considered clear evidence that Larkham was poor.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yes I was been ironic given Brumby Runner was rewriting history claiming the wallabies attack was good under Larkham, when it wasn’t.

whether he would be a good head choice as well I’m unsure, but the fact the wallabies attack was poor under him isn’t evidence that he would be a good head coach.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Adam, when an attack coach is at odds with the head coach, you can be pretty sure the quality of the attack is more a reflection of that head coach than the attack coach. The only evidence I can draw from the Cheika years is that neither Cheika nor Gray were worthy of the title "coach".

Bernie Larkham was one of the best rugby players ever produced in this country. He played the pivotal position at No 10 which required more than any other spot the player to have an understanding of what was happening on the field the whole time. He had a great rugby brain, tactical nous and vision equal to anyone. His understanding of team mechanics is just what a head coach needs.

Despite the criticism often levelled at him for his coaching stint at the Brumbies, I don't think I'm wrong in saying he led the Brumbies as the most successful side in the country in that period.

Of course, if he'd played and coached as a Red he would be much more highly regarded on these threads.