• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2022

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Adam, when an attack coach is at odds with the head coach, you can be pretty sure the quality of the attack is more a reflection of that head coach than the attack coach. The only evidence I can draw from the Cheika years is that neither Cheika nor Gray were worthy of the title "coach".

Bernie Larkham was one of the best rugby players ever produced in this country. He played the pivotal position at No 10 which required more than any other spot the player to have an understanding of what was happening on the field the whole time. He had a great rugby brain, tactical nous and vision equal to anyone. His understanding of team mechanics is just what a head coach needs.

Despite the criticism often levelled at him for his coaching stint at the Brumbies, I don't think I'm wrong in saying he led the Brumbies as the most successful side in the country in that period.

Of course, if he'd played and coached as a Red he would be much more highly regarded on these threads.

I think you've missed the point BR, your original comment below was that the attack at the Wallabies was a positive under Larkham, I'm just pointing out that the Wallabies attack during that period wasn't a positive feature of the team, regardless of the reasons why (Cheika vs Larkham etc).

Bernie had a number of set piece plays that he introduced to the Wallabies. At the time, that bit of attack was the only sign of competency across the whole Wallaby coaching setup.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think you've missed the point BR, your original comment below was that the attack at the Wallabies was a positive under Larkham, I'm just pointing out that the Wallabies attack during that period wasn't a positive feature of the team, regardless of the reasons why (Cheika vs Larkham etc).
Read it closer Adam. I said Larkham was introducing some set piece plays to the attack and that that part of the attack was the only sign of competency. The rest of the attack was l,ess than competent but imo that was caused by the lack of cohesion between Cheika and Larkham, not necessarily, and probably not in reality, a reflection on Larkham's ability as coach

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Larkham certainly had great vision and instincts when he played.

Almost at the same level as Qld Origin playing great and short term coach Wally Lewis.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Read it closer Adam. I said Larkham was introducing some set piece plays to the attack and that that part of the attack was the only sign of competency. The rest of the attack was l,ess than competent but imo that was caused by the lack of cohesion between Cheika and Larkham, not necessarily, and probably not in reality, a reflection on Larkham's ability as coach

not that I agree with this sentiment, but you are saying larkham was the least shit coach in a bunch of shit coaches?

In either case I don’t think it was a great endorsement of his ability as a head coach.. doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be head coach, just that the wallabies tenure won’t sit highly on his resume.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Still pushing your barrow Adam. I'm saying, more accurately, that Larkham was the one coach in that setup who couldn't be judged by results. He might not cut it, but he can't be written off on the basis of his previous Wallaby experience.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't know who's out there for a coaching gig in a year's time, but we lost Dan, so if Larkham's hats in the ring, its only better.. His had experience in a Wallabies setup, his gone overseas and coached in Munster.. Alot has changed since he coached the Brumbies last... Remember Link was NSW coach .. got the arse came back and was awesome for the Reds and for his short stint at the Wallabies..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still pushing your barrow Adam. I'm saying, more accurately, that Larkham was the one coach in that setup who couldn't be judged by results. He might not cut it, but he can't be written off on the basis of his previous Wallaby experience.
Ok my mistake BR, i must have misinterpreted your comments where you said he was the only sign of competency and improvement across the wallaby setup and was only sacked because he wasn't a yes man.

FWIW i didn't write anyone off, i just disagreed with your comments about wallaby attack been a sign of competency...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't appear to be a 12 backup in the squad yet; maybe Iona fills the reserve 10 spot, but imo won't be suitable at the 12 position. I'd like to see Tom Wright given time in 12. He seems to read the game well, has good hands, can break the line himself and can kick. Looks like he has played himself off the wing at Wallaby level, so a shift in closer might be his go.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Doesn't appear to be a 12 backup in the squad yet; maybe Iona fills the reserve 10 spot, but imo won't be suitable at the 12 position. I'd like to see Tom Wright given time in 12. He seems to read the game well, has good hands, can break the line himself and can kick. Looks like he has played himself off the wing at Wallaby level, so a shift in closer might be his go.
Selections can be bloody fickle at times. I though Wright was very good last year and pretty good when he played in Super Rugby this year.

But one bad test and he appears to have fallen way down the pecking order.

But then Daugunu had a similiar fall from grace last year but got himself back into the frame.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in closer to the action, but I feel he remains a very good winger and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t as far down the pecking order as we think.

Hats off to Kellaway for taking his chance with both hands but if a current winger got injured Wright couldn’t be too far away.

Reactions: dru

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I wouldn’t mind seeing Lenny move to the inside channel. I think he’s got more to offer there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Selections can be bloody fickle at times. I though Wright was very good last year and pretty good when he played in Super Rugby this year.

But one bad test and he appears to have fallen way down the pecking order.

But then Daugunu had a similiar fall from grace last year but got himself back into the frame.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in closer to the action, but I feel he remains a very good winger and I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t as far down the pecking order as we think.

Hats off to Kellaway for taking his chance with both hands but if a current winger got injured Wright couldn’t be too far away.
He must have something to offer and I think Rennie can see it.

I have noticed he seems to be the chosen water boy for the Wallabies and if you watch him he is pretty involved with the Wallabies backs during games. If you watched the weekends game they showed him talking with some of the backs including a fairly lengthy chat with Quade at one of the stoppages. It appeared they were talking tactics or similar.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kennedy's signing strengthens the back row and maybe at lock (height 1.96m, weight 110 kg). Apparently has shifted between lock and No 6 at Scarlets. Think the side will be pretty well stocked now for locks, Swain, Neville, Frost and Hooper, and backrowers, Valetini, Samu, Brown, Reimer, Scott, Kennedy. Is James Tucker still with the squad? Both Hooper and Tucker can fill in at 6 competently.

Swain and Neville probably have first dibs on the locking spots while a backrow of 6 Valetini, 7 Brown, 8 Samu is mouth watering.