• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2022

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
the Brumbies first choice backline remains very strong - something like:

9 White
10 Loloesio
11 Muirhead
12 Simone
13 Ikitau
14 Wright
15 Banks

All capped Wallabies this year except Muirhead, who has been in the squad all season.

But any injuries and the look of the side changes dramatically.

White at least covered by Lonergan.

CFS a fine cover for centre and wing, assuming he isn't injured.

But if they are relying on Ione, Clark, Creighton and Mogg for any substantial part of the season then it's a bit of a worry.
If we loose any of our starters aside from CFS and possibly Clark (and I am being optimistic), it certainly will be the "B-" team options. And with so many "silver foxes", backing up over a few weeks will be challenging for those more mature players and may pull us down. I am not feeling very confident about next year.

I am perplexed why all the young talent has rushed out the door especially from the backline. Not sure if it just mere coincidence. Is it seeking opportunities or some other factor like a change / addition last season prompting many to want to depart? Could just be me but its one hell of a coinseibidence. ;)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If we loose any of our starters aside from CFS and possibly Clark (and I am being optimistic), it certainly will be the "B-" team options. And with so many "silver foxes", backing up over a few weeks will be challenging for those more mature players and may pull us down. I am not feeling very confident about next year.

I am perplexed why all the young talent has rushed out the door especially from the backline. Not sure if it just mere coincidence. Is it seeking opportunities or some other factor like a change / addition last season prompting many to want to depart? Could just be me but its one hell of a coinseibidence. ;)
Tim Sampson would have coached most the young guys, and the chance to start would have been calling them.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I assume the guys that left probably saw themselves as first XV players (and worth first XV money) which wasn’t going to happen at the Brumbies

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wonder if he will sign with Moana Pasifika , he would be a good get for them which country would he be eligible for ? Bit of a lose for the Brumbies, but we do have Wright Murihead CFS and at a pinch Mogg who can all play wing.
Yes you would think be ideal MP (Moana Pasifika) candidate - expect a signature and would be solid signing for MP (Moana Pasifika)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wonder if he will sign with Moana Pasifika , he would be a good get for them which country would he be eligible for ? Bit of a lose for the Brumbies, but we do have Wright Murihead CFS and at a pinch Mogg who can all play wing.
Born in Tonga & 26yo so you'd think it's Tonga or no-one with the new five-year residency requirement.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Born in Tonga & 26yo so you'd think it's Tonga or no-one with the new five-year residency requirement.
Yeh was a call out while back about not being wallaby eligible - and was my point in my post above - ie perfect MP (Moana Pasifika) candidate - the only thing I have not worked out is why not called out to the tonga side given this.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Recently scored a triple against Manawatu in NPC as a winger.
Can't see him ahead of Simone and definitely not Ikitau at this stage.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Peter Hewat would be my pick, loved what he did as attack coach.

Please not Nathan Grey.

I'd prefer Larkham to stay overseas for the next 5 years at least to gain more coaching experience. I think he could become a good coach in the future, but clearly not there yet.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I get the sentiment perfectly and Nathan Grey certainly wouldn’t be my first choice - but I was less than enthusiastic when Ewan McKenzie was appointed Reds coach after being sacked by Stade Fracais, after previously not having his contract renewed by the Waratahs. Coaches improve. Sometimes even more so then players.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hewat would be my pick of those named. Very complementary coaching ideas and game plans to what's offered by the current coaching team.

Nathan Grey would be at the bottom of the list. As TSR says coaches sometimes improve. The same ought to be said for Bernie Larkham but Bernie at least has background with the club and the current coaching setup. I would have Bernie as next best to Peter Hewat.

Simon Cron looked extra good at Norths, but lacks experience at this level in comparison. Better than Grey nevertheless.