• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies Provincial Tournament 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brumbies Provincial Tournament - Summary

Tuesday, 9 June 2009
Please see Summary below from Bill Milward of this year's Brumbies Provincial Tournament played at Batemans Bay on the June Long Weekend.

The SIRU players are to be congratulated on their effort and Committment during the Tournament , unfortunately we were just not good enough against Monaro (3 tries each) in their first match on Sunday but the side bounced back really well with an impressive win against South Coast the following day.A big Thank You to coach Dave Stuart ,Manager Matt Wilkinson and Tony Kelly (Assistant Coach), Peter Hunt (Runner), Joe Tora (Bus Driver) and Rob & Leanne McPherson (Trainers) for their hard work in bringing the team together and from all accounts the Players enjoyed their trip.Unfortunately for some players in our Zone the thought of playing Rep. Rugby is not on their agenda.This is their loss and maybe a few Egos need looking at, some Players in the Zone probably think they should have been playing against the Barbarians on Saturday Night at the SFS.!!

Congratulations to all the Southern Inland players selected in the Brumbies Provincial Merit side (listed below) it is hoped that the experiece gained on the weekend will prepare you well for the second half of our local Competition.

Mick McTaggart
(SIRU Manager)

The 2009 Brumbies Provincial Tournament, featuring representative teams from the Monaro, Southern Inland and South Coast Rugby Unions was played over the June long weekend in Batemans Bay. The Monaro Team won both of their matches and as a result took home the Tournament Trophy. Following find a list of match results, final points table and the list of players selected in the 2009 Brumbies Provincial Merit Team.

Match Results:

Saturday 6th June:
Monaro 54 defeated South Coast 7
Monaro Scorers: M Webber, M Picker & J Belgrove - 2 tries each. M Jones & T Close - 1 try each. L Ebneter – 5 conversions. M Webber – 1 conversion

South Coast Scorers: R Kadling – 1 try. S Fitzgerald – 1 conversion

Match Officials
Referee – Michale Toirkens; Asst Ref – Shane Madden; TJ – Ian Glasgow; No4/5 – Denis Bruce

Sunday 7th June:
Monaro 29 defeated Southern Inland 15
Monaro Scorers: J Macpherson, M Caldwell & L Ebneter – 1 try each. L Ebneter – 1 conversion & 4 penalty goals.

Southern Inland scorers: S Ross, S Khalfan & C Jordan – 1 try each.

Match Officials
Referee – Damien Beck; Asst Ref – Ian Glasgow; TJ – Andrew Edmunds; No4/5 – Denis Bruce

Monday 8th June:
Southern Inland 60 defeated South Coast 12
Southern Inland scorers: D Kidd – 2 tries. A Seaman, S Khalfan, B Arscott, T Pulline, C Jordan, L McKay, K Dan & A Bedford – 1 try each. C Jordan – 3 conversions & S Khalfan – 2 conversions.

South Coast Scorers:
C Madison & K Fifita – 1 try each. D Wheeler – 1 conversion

Match Officials
Referee – Adam Parker; Asst Ref – Damien Beck; TJ – Shane Madden; No4/5 – Denis Bruce

Points table:

Monaro - 9 points
Southern Inland - 5 points
South Coast - 0 points
Player of the Tournament: Mike Webber (Monaro)

2009 Brumbies Provincial Merit Team:

Starting XV

Jarrod Bryant (SIRU)- Wagga City
Ed Gephardt (SIRU) - Wagga Ag College
Haywood Fraser (Mon)
Darren Kidd (SIRU) - Griffith
Xavier Copeland (Mon)
Matt Meggison (SIRU) - Wagga Waratahs
Sandy Beggs (Mon) -Ex Ag College
Sterling Ross (SIRU) -Rivcoll
Will Schmidt (Mon)
Mike Webber (Mon)
Tyrone Thomas (South Coast)
Mitch Picker (Mon)
Jacob Belgrave (Mon) Ex Ag College
Joel Macpherson (Mon)
Luke Ebneter (Mon)

Reserves

David Flemming (South Coast)
Tim Swan (SIRU) -Wagga City
Aaron Seaman (SIRU) -Wagga Ag College
Shaun Connolly (SIRU) _Wagga City
Justin Wakeling (SIRU) _Rivcoll
Zac Davidson (SIRU) -Young
Shahid Khalfan (SIRU) -Wagga Ag College

Coach - Michael Hayes (Mon)

On behalf of Brumbies Rugby I would like to congratulate all those players selected in the above 2009 Brumbies Provincial Merit Team and also Michael Hayes coach of the successful Monaro side and the Provincial Merit Team. I would also like to congratulate Mike Webber (Monaro) on being named the “Player of the Tournament”.

Our thanks and appreciation is also extended to the South Coast Rugby Union and in particular the Batemans Bay Boars Rugby Club for their hosting of the Tournament at the Hanging Rock Rugby Ground. The new facilities and the ground were first class. Our thanks also go to the match officials who gave up their time to referee and touch judge for these matches.

Regards

Bill Milward

Manager Community Rugby

Brumbies Rugby

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
As you can see, Mick had a dig at the local talent in Siru that couldn't be bothered playing rep rugby.

Note every single person involved from SIRU.. coaches, managers, runner and bus driver were all from Rivcoll Rugby.

F

formeropenside

eddo said:
As you can see, Mick had a dig at the local talent in Siru that couldn't be bothered playing rep rugby.

Note every single person involved from SIRU.. coaches, managers, runner and bus driver were all from Rivcoll Rugby.

Whats the problem with guys who dont want to play rep rugby? I dont understand it myself, either the players who aren't keen or the grumbling that some people aren't interested. I played subbies with some guys who were really talented, but they were not interested in taking rugby seriously, and that just how they rolled.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
formeropenside said:
eddo said:

Whats the problem with guys who dont want to play rep rugby? I dont understand it myself, either the players who aren't keen or the grumbling that some people aren't interested. I played subbies with some guys who were really talented, but they were not interested in taking rugby seriously, and that just how they rolled.

I know what you are saying fos, but for those who treat rep rugby as the be all and end all find it hard to understand. When I left school I wanted to make the most of my rugby but there were Oz schoolboys in my year who werent interested in progressing their rugby which I didnt understand. It makes more sense to me now.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cutter said:
I know what you are saying fos, but for those who treat rep rugby as the be all and end all find it hard to understand. When I left school I wanted to make the most of my rugby but there were Oz schoolboys in my year who werent interested in progressing their rugby which I didnt understand. It makes more sense to me now.
One of my good mates played Oz schoolboys, then Aus U-21s, and played 1st grade for a year or two, and I think played 1 game for NSW in an obscure fixture. Was probably good enough to have pushed it, but realised it would be a huge undertaking to the exclusion of many other things he enjoyed, and decided at age 22 he'd had enough. Told me he realised he didn't want to be 35 with shot knees and unable to play with his kids. Now at 41 it was a good call!
I found it hard to get my head around, thinking I would have given a nut to have the chance, but he has no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.