• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Crusaders 7.45pm Friday 13th Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can't say I'm impressed with a team that only plays well for ten minutes.
They played earlier .. it wasn't just 10 minutes, just dumb errors e.g. running into your own player off a kick off, or just dropping it cold, and a really poor kicking game tonight.. short clearing kicks.. box kicks and up and unders that went straight up...

When we had the pill and held it we put on some great pressure.. errgh

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Watched the game live. I thought the brumbies were a little slow and had poor ball security (especially in the first half)

The crusaders werent flashy, they just played smart and kept the ball out of their half and kept our back two pinned.

The 65th ish minute on was great from the brumbies, they started to throw the ball around and have a go, they were lacking that for the rest of the game.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. The first half after Brumbies try was a disaster. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Too many unforced errors. Nic White looks lost without Noah Lolesio

Reactions: dru

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Full time for me

Updated: The combo 9/10, White/Iona was a completely disaster in the first half. Iona is not at Super Rugby standard IMO. White looked lost, Lonergan gave some speed to the attack in second half but he made 2 silly mistakes. That quick penalty to bring the ball into open play when they were in 5 meters of Saders and the final kick when they had the possesion.

The physical battle in the first half was won by Saders forwards and even some backs

The positive side: With just a couple of minutes of good rugby, Brumbies could scored but the unforced errors mostly in first half were fatal wounds.

Saders doesn't look impressive like other seasons but still they managed to win in the hardest Australian fortress. So I don't know if this is good or bad

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thought Matera was bloody good, but also was well impessed with Sam W and Scott Barrett although he looked to fade a bit in second half.Cosy Taylor looked pretty ok too, and Blackadder and Grace didn't leave anything in the tank! That's where game was won, in the forwards.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Thought Matera was bloody good, but also was well impessed with Sam W and Scott Barrett although he looked to fade a bit in second half.Cosy Taylor looked pretty ok too, and Blackadder and Grace didn't leave anything in the tank! That's where game was won, in the forwards.
That's what I said:
The physical battle in the first half was won by Saders forwards and even some backs

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Some out of character scrum and maul performances from the Brums especially in the first half. I thought Hooper did an alright job as fill in for Bobby V and Reimer made a massive impact when he came on. Thought they were a little hard done by at the end from Angus but 60 minutes of poor rugby meant they were in that position.

Iona is not super rugby standard. He was barely NRC standard. They need to get rid of him. Maybe play Simone at 10 back-up for the rest of the season and then go hard on recruiting some depth for next.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't see it & have only seen the short highlights but obviously happy with the result & sounds like the performance was mostly good but with a slow start & maybe some buttoning off in the last 20.

Teams now level on the Table but Brums have an extra win so *takes a deeeep breath & says this really quickly* CruSadists need Loss Bleus to give them a touch-up next week to qualify second & potentially have a home SF.

We'll be in CheeChee SF weekend but it's Father-in-law's birthday so not sure I'd be able to get along to it, probably have to do dinner somewhere instead :(

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The combo 9/10, White/Iona was a completely disaster in the first half. Iona is not at Super Rugby standard IMO.
Iona is not super rugby standard. He was barely NRC standard. They need to get rid of him.

Harsh, lads.

It seemed to me that Iona contributed errors, some major, including defence, certainly distribution. But for goodness sake, how much Super game time has he had? It struck me that the had skills consistent with a Super 10 and how he went against the Saders is hardly an ability ceiling. The Halves were struggling not just on their own account but because the opposition D was fierce and in their face. Brumbies lost this game by losing the collision, the physicality, the after contact meters, the cleanliness of ruck ball, and hence the speed of the play.

Any major intro to Super for a game player is likely to be rough, but against a better team controlling the ruck, well, it's a big ask. I would not be writing off Iona at all on that performance. There is something of a responsibility, I think, for the stronger Aus Super teams, to bring through talent. Iona has plenty to go before Brumbies can claim to have given that a decent go.

This all said, we are by default starting to see where Noah is. I'm liking it. Brumbies need him back. The combination at 9-10 in the Brumbies probably needs some respect at WB level. Not the only decision datapoint but one that should be added in.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Harsh, lads.

It seemed to me that Iona contributed errors, some major, including defence, certainly distribution. But for goodness sake, how much Super game time has he had? It struck me that the had skills consistent with a Super 10 and how he went against the Saders is hardly an ability ceiling. The Halves were struggling not just on their own account but because the opposition D was fierce and in their face. Brumbies lost this game by losing the collision, the physicality, the after contact meters, the cleanliness of ruck ball, and hence the speed of the play.

Any major intro to Super for a game player is likely to be rough, but against a better team controlling the ruck, well, it's a big ask. I would not be writing off Iona at all on that performance. There is something of a responsibility, I think, for the stronger Aus Super teams, to bring through talent. Iona has plenty to go before Brumbies can claim to have given that a decent go.

This all said, we are by default starting to see where Noah is. I'm liking it. Brumbies need him back. The combination at 9-10 in the Brumbies probably needs some respect at WB level. Not the only decision datapoint but one that should be added in.
This isnt Iona first rodeo.. his had plenty of opportunities even this season, but last night he didn't cover himself in glory.. Although White didn't help him, he should have box kicked that first charge down and should have taken the pressure off him where he could.

I personally think we need a better back up for Noah, but his what we got.

I thought Tom Hooper was great at 6.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This isnt Iona first rodeo.. his had plenty of opportunities even this season, but last night he didn't cover himself in glory.. Although White didn't help him, he should have box kicked that first charge down and should have taken the pressure off him where he could.

I personally think we need a better back up for Noah, but his what we got.

I thought Tom Hooper was great at 6.

OK, fill me in. I'm not a Brumbies fan and have not been watching his progress closely.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
OK, fill me in. I'm not a Brumbies fan and have not been watching his progress closely.
He has been around for years and never been able to get to Super Rugby standard. He made his debut for the Brumbies in 2014 against the NSW Waratahs and returned to Brumbies HQ in 2020 to train and was not added to the squad until half our young backs left to go to the Force. He struggled at the NRC level as well.

Personally, I would put Slipper, Frost, Brumby Jack or Jill at 10 in front of him. We have some options like Sapsford, Creighton or CFS or shift Simone for a game. This is just a result of poor recruitment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.