• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Moana 7.35pm 18/3/23

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nic Frost continues to be the most valuable player in Aus Super Rugby. Tom Wright best fullback in the country atm.
Shame Petaia is out this weekend (also for my fantasy team - fuck sake Jordie). They've both been excellent at the back so far.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I've thought about that as well - Muirhead is a more consistent/safer player, but Wright was a junior flyhalf and seems to have more playmaking skills in his kit, but not by much. That try to Toole was a great example - excellent hands to take the inside ball, bit of a shimmy and then a 20m pass out to Toole that landed right on the button.

They seem to swapping the position 50/50 anyway so who knows

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone know what the crowd number was tonight? Looked to be pretty empty. Those crowd numbers must be a concern for the Brumbies.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Shame Petaia is out this weekend (also for my fantasy team - fuck sake Jordie). They've both been excellent at the back so far.
I still think Campbell is a far better option at fullback for the Reds. Petaia wasn't great at all last week until moved to the wing. 4 dropped balls and 2 runs for 9m at half time at the back. Vunivalu came off at the 50th minute Campbell to fullback and Petaia then scores 2 pops up all over the place and runs for 92 metres.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Rugby is cooked here, the public servants are onboard the Raiders train and think the Brums are losing (per broader narratives around kiwi dominance.
its not great.

What was it 8500? to the reds game on a long weekend.

Lets see what the Waratahs home game brings. It needs to be 13K+

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I’m not so convinced on Wright. I actually wonder if the brumbies should switch Wright and muirhead.

I thought Tom Wright was brilliant last night! I know Muirhead came through grades as a 15 but he has nailed the wing spot type of bloke that the magnet just goes on the board & not moved

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He does some brilliant stuff for sure. But balances it out as well.

Personally I don’t think plays as consistently well at super rugby level as Tom Banks did. But I appreciate this is his first full year (so far) at 15.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He does some brilliant stuff for sure. But balances it out as well.

Personally I don’t think plays as consistently well at super rugby level as Tom Banks did. But I appreciate this is his first full year (so far) at 15.

I'm happy to rate him in Super. The claims, if I have it right, are about international class.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have to admit that I don't quite understand the thought that someone can excel at Super level but have question marks against their likely performance at test level, especially when that person is being compared with others who are not playing as good as the first.

Tom Wright is absolutely carving up defences this year from fullback, and I venture he would be among the top backs in the whole comp for touches, clean breaks and metres run. That said, he is up against Jordan Petaia, Jock Campbell and more lately Max Jorgenson. While my preference at the Brumbies would be for Wright to play wing, he is so far playing better than each of the other contenders for the Wallabies 15 jersey. I think his form indicates he would be best bet atm for that spot. If one of the others finds a rich vein of form that puts them at the forefront then I for one will not be saying their form at Super level won't or maybe won't translate to the test arena.

Super form, after all, is the best indicator of test performance.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have to admit that I don't quite understand the thought that someone can excel at Super level but have question marks against their likely performance at test level, especially when that person is being compared with others who are not playing as good as the first.

Tom Wright is absolutely carving up defences this year from fullback, and I venture he would be among the top backs in the whole comp for touches, clean breaks and metres run. That said, he is up against Jordan Petaia, Jock Campbell and more lately Max Jorgenson. While my preference at the Brumbies would be for Wright to play wing, he is so far playing better than each of the other contenders for the Wallabies 15 jersey. I think his form indicates he would be best bet atm for that spot. If one of the others finds a rich vein of form that puts them at the forefront then I for one will not be saying their form at Super level won't or maybe won't translate to the test arena.

Super form, after all, is the best indicator of test performance.
Well Jake Gordon had a killer season at Super level last year and we saw how that panned out

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mainly in the eyes of rusted on Tahs supporters. Don't think his passing game or decision making has ever been highly regarded by others.
Apart from coaches and selectors, who are not blessed, apparently, with the detached rationalism of, say, yourself?;)
Bias is bias is bias.
Problem we have is that only a few players have taken certain positions by the scruff of the neck and clearly demanded occupancy (from coaches / selectors, not punters online). Many positions have 2-4 candidates who are not the finished product, so we see chopping and changing, which is not ideal. then there is the crippling injury situation last year. If you buy into Ben Darwin's stuff, lack of / changing combos is a killer (I'm not entirely convinced by everything he says).
It's a clean slate this year so who knows, maybe Eddie will get it Wright (whom, I agree, is going well).