• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Rebels Friday 2 June 7.35pm

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If they win, and the Blues lose, they finish 3rd they play the Tahs...

If they win, and and the Blues win, they finish 4th and play the Canes in Canberra...

If they lose, and the Canes win, they finish 5th and play the Canes in Wellington.
So, do we want two Aus teams in two separate qfs or one guaranteed aus team in the semi? Probably the latter.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So if they lose, they are significantly disadvantaged for the quarters. Okay thanks

Actually, my post wasn't entirely accurate...

If the Brumbies lose, and the Canes lose, the Brumbies remain in 4th place...

If the Brumbies lose with a bonus point, and the Canes win without a bonus point, the Brumbies will still remain in 4th place.

If the Brumbies and the Canes finish on the same competition points and games won, the Canes would certainly finish ahead with a a much larger points differential.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Actually, my post wasn't entirely accurate...

If the Brumbies lose, and the Canes lose, the Brumbies remain in 4th place...

If the Brumbies lose with a bonus point, and the Canes win without a bonus point, the Brumbies will still remain in 4th place.

If the Brumbies and the Canes finish on the same competition points and games won, the Canes would certainly finish ahead with a a much larger points differential.
Very interesting, do you know if there are any teams where the favourites might try and purposefully lose to get an easiser quarter? Or will a win always guarantee an easier quarter?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Very interesting, do you know if there are any teams where the favourites might try and purposefully lose to get an easiser quarter? Or will a win always guarantee an easier quarter?
Winning is the better option across the board, any team that can shift there placing risks losing hosting rights or a finals place altogether by losing.

The exception is the Chiefs and tahs, who can't change their placings at this stage so would put less importance on winning. I guess you could argue the Chiefs could lose to try and guarantee they'd host the Force in the quarters, but that would be insane behaviour. That said, the likely alternative is the Reds and they're the only team to beat the Chiefs this year, so you never know...

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Winning is the better option across the board, any team that can shift there placing risks losing hosting rights or a finals place altogether by losing.

The exception is the Chiefs and tahs, who can't change their placings at this stage so would put less importance on winning. I guess you could argue the Chiefs could lose to try and guarantee they'd host the Force in the quarters, but that would be insane behaviour. That said, the likely alternative is the Reds and they're the only team to beat the Chiefs this year, so you never know...
Makes sense. I have no doubts that the Tahs will be putting their all in against Moana, especially for Hoops last home game.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the other side of the equation, a mere 89 point differential for the Brumbies to overcome to earn a home quarterfinal.

Get amongst it.

Last edited: