• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Cheetahs Prelim 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Hi Guys - looking for someone to write 500 words-ish on

THREE THINGS TO EXPECT FROM THE 2013 CHEETAHS VS THE BRUMBIES THIS WEEKEND

Any takers?

I'll give it a go...

The Cheetahs will play like the Reds and don't mean that as complimentary as many here and elsewhere would. Expect them to tackle, spoil and generally slow down the everything the Brumbies try to do in attack. They also not above a bit of gamesmanship. Whenever there is a stoppage in play a front ranker will go down, not allowing the Brumbies to gain any momentum. Don't be fooled though, they are properly fit and will fancy themselves to score last so the Brumbies should look to open up a gap and not sit on a lead.

The key men in defence are their frontrankers, Adriaanse and Oosthuizen, Brussouw and the young lock Lood de Jager. Brussouws talents are well known, but look out for the big Coenie Oosthuizen who makes a surprising number of steals for man of his size and shape.

If you are looking for weaknesses in defence, the Cheetahs do lack size and power in the backline. In my opinion Jean De Villiers did great job of winning the Stormers their last encounter by simply smashing their midfield, the fact that it also protected his position in the Springbok side from Robert Ebersohn was simply an interesting sub-plot. I would expect that Jake White would have noticed too so can you could see Speight, Tomane and Kuridrani (sp) running plenty of ball off short passes in the midfield.

Be warned though, the Cheetahs are a courageous bunch with a knack for winning fifty-fifty balls. Any dropped passes from the Brumbies will see the Cheetahs come into their own.

The Cheetah's attacking game is built on turnover ball. They seem to have pretty good system for identifying opportunities on change of possession and getting the ball there.

Another feature of their attacking is that they are always looking for mismatches. They love using Rhule and Pretorius against the big men in the middle of the field and then sending it wide for Strauss and Labuschagne to run over backs.

One thing you won't see a lot of is long phases of attack. They typically look to strike quick and hard instead of endless recycling.

Look out for Strauss, Ebersohn and Willie Le Roux to lead the attack.

The Cheetahs first phase is very solid, but so are the Brumbies. It should be good battle, but I can't see either side winning a substantial advantage there.

One area that the Brumbies have a significant advantage is in their kicking game. The Brumbies have four very good kickers and they are not scared of using them. For the Cheetahs only Deniller can compete in terms of tactical kicking.

It pretty tough to challenge for the trophy from sixth place as you are guaranteed away games all the way through, but if it is ever going to happen things are perfectly set up for the Cheetahs. They should be pretty fresh with only handful of players involved in the June internationals and having come off a bye in the last round. They have also been fortunate in terms injuries, with only Goosen missing, but they lost him early so the team should be pretty settled.

Travelling shouldn't be too much of an issue either. They have traveled well the last two years, especially against Australian opposition.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
You obviously have not been to Bloemfontein in winter. It's absolutely freezing in a very horrible way. Cold won't worry them but I think rain will.

No, but I have played in a carnival in Cape Town in August and it was cold and wet.

We've had three days of steady light rain in Canberra and the next winter storm is due on Friday. I hope Jake has been getting the team out on the oval in these conditions.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Ah I thought I recognised your alias. I've seen you on that forum. We should start a ski yarn on this board. I know a few of the other guys here like a turn or two. Me, I like three ;)

I'm a bit more active over there, understandable given I am a part-time instructor.

I think a ski thread on this forum is a good idea, seeing we talk rugby on the ski.com.au Sports Bar forum.

I hope you're a Thredbo skier, Blue.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
You too? ;)
In any event, rain is one thing, but if it snows, that's just nasty for playing rugby.
I can't imagine freezing rain or snow will help either side too much. Would be a pity.

The bad day is going to be Saturday and it may be clearing a bit on Sunday in Canberra, but still puking down the white goodness in the mountains :woohoo:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm a bit more active over there, understandable given I am a part-time instructor.

I think a ski thread on this forum is a good idea, seeing we talk rugby on the ski.com.au Sports Bar forum.

I hope you're a Thredbo skier, Blue.
Mostly Thredbo. First ever ski was at Perisher but never since.

Skipping Aus this year and heading over the ditch in August. Only time and budget for one ski this winter but will probably hit Canada in Jan if things work out.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
@ Blou, still feeling the pain after saturday?

Gaan kak jy jou ma se hare. :)

No seriously I expected the loss but it still sucks being beaten by the weed smoking goats.

Where the hell was that play from the Stormers all season? Heh? Thank the gods both old and new that I don't support your lot they are the most bloody frustrating team to watch.

The reality is that if you swapped the Stormers and Bulls right now and put the Stomps second on the log they have a MUCH better chance of winning the whole boksem thing than we do.

We look tired and the pack misses Spies (yes hard to believe but true) and Juandre and our fucking useless props are getting more useless as each game comes and goes. God I canlt stand the sight of Greyling. Useless.

Look we will be better in 2 weeks in the ring but we will play the Brums or one of the Saders / Reds next week. Out of those I will back us against the Reds but no way against the Brums or bastard-sunsofmongrel-Whitelockaders.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Mostly Thredbo. First ever ski was at Perisher but never since.

Skipping Aus this year and heading over the ditch in August. Only time and budget for one ski this winter but will probably hit Canada in Jan if things work out.

You should come and join the Sun Peaks crew. I'll be there from 22 December to 9 January. But we digress...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Canberra is friggin cold but that Canberra stadium is just plain freezing. The bastard who designed that joint is a sadist.

The wind tunnel is horrific. Even in March on a cool night, if you're sitting in the wrong part of the stadium you need jacket, beanie, scarf etc.

Other than the climate issues, its actually a good ground to watch rugby

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The wind tunnel is horrific. Even in March on a cool night, if you're sitting in the wrong part of the stadium you need jacket, beanie, scarf etc.

Other than the climate issues, its actually a good ground to watch rugby

The wind and mud bowl parking are the horrible things, plus the lack of facilities at the stadium compared to the more modern stadiums like Suncorp and Olympic Park.

A boutique modern rectangular stadium for the Raiders and Brumbies to share would be great, plus it would mean that really big games actually get a chance hosted there. Currently the poor facilities and logisitics associated with the stadium (see Lions test) make it so hard to host big matches there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Gaan kak jy jou ma se hare. :)

No seriously I expected the loss but it still sucks being beaten by the weed smoking goats.

Where the hell was that play from the Stormers all season? Heh? Thank the gods both old and new that I don't support your lot they are the most bloody frustrating team to watch.

The reality is that if you swapped the Stormers and Bulls right now and put the Stomps second on the log they have a MUCH better chance of winning the whole boksem thing than we do.

We look tired and the pack misses Spies (yes hard to believe but true) and Juandre and our fucking useless props are getting more useless as each game comes and goes. God I canlt stand the sight of Greyling. Useless.

Look we will be better in 2 weeks in the ring but we will play the Brums or one of the Saders / Reds next week. Out of those I will back us against the Reds but no way against the Brums or bastard-sunsofmongrel-Whitelockaders.
Ja I am worried about your scrum, why they still pick Greyling is beyond me. Serfontein will surely make a differense and will spice things up nicely, but he need ball. Lets hope for a Cheetah vs Bulls final. Stormers will hope learned some nice lessons from this year. Taute and Cat Killer will be back next season but the real good news is that WP for a change have signed all their young CW stars.

Good luck with your team and I'll back them allie pad from here on!

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
6 fOUNDATIONS FOR A BRUMBIES VICTORY

1. Cheetahs DP is 28 for the season... The Brumbies is 135...

2. The brumbies have had the best defense this season letting in the lowest amount of points against ALL TEAMS... The Cheetahs wont dominate the Brumbies pack…

3. The Brumbies at home advantage with George Smith starting will work. He will help settle the lads as will the experience of the coaching staff…

4. The Cheetahs have a small backline which will find the large Brumbies backs a handful and they also have only one tactical kicker... The Brumbies have 4, White To'omua Lealiifano and Mogg…

5. Lealiifano’s goal kicking has been outstanding…

6. The Big outside backs all have pace, Kuridrani, Speight and Tomane… with white lightning Jess Mogg will be too much for the Cheetahs to manage with a poor defensive record…

Status
Not open for further replies.