• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds, Friday 1st of July, GIO Stadium Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not in the business of supporting a team who just gives up once they're out of finals contention
Of course not. Lets see what the wider training groups throw up.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It's a bit unfortunate, the Reds would be in with a chance against this injured Brumbies side if not for the fact their own injury list is not much better. Douglas and Houston could really spark them up, but without Hunt, Laloifi and Simmons it'll be a hard ask. On the plus side, at least Frisby won't be burnt out from his heavy Wallaby workload...

Will the U20s be available? I really have no idea who they can put in to replace Simmons. Even letting Goromaru go so early is coming back to bite.

I don't know how everyone else saw the first two tests but in the issue of Kerevi vs Kuridrani I thought Kerevi was easily the better player. Did anyone else think that or was I just watching the games through red-tinted glasses?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I am assuming the 20s won't be available. So a possible team would be:

1 Slipper
2 Ready
3 Holmes
4 Neville
5 Thorn
6 Tui
7 Gill
8 Houston
9 Frisby
10 McIntyre
11 Kuridrani
12 Fainga'a
13 Kerevi
14 Nabuli
15 Paia'uau

16 Mafi (I think Saia is gone for the season right?)
17 Fa'agase
18 Talakai
19 Douglas
20 Browning
21 Gale
22 Teafu

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I hope CK does get a game. I don't know what he did to O'Connor for CFS to keep getting picked ahead of him, must have run over his dog or something. I thought he had a great NRC season, not always the biggest impact in contact but he's pretty fast and always seems to put in a solid effort.

It's a bit rough on Browning if he gets relegated to the bench to make room for Houston. He's been one of the Reds' best all season.

Gee our backs depth is looking thin, particularly the outside backs. Duncan P and Taefu are both really 12s. Anyone else we can think of for the 23 jersey?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee our backs depth is looking thin, particularly the outside backs. Duncan P and Taefu are both really 12s. Anyone else we can think of for the 23 jersey?

I guess in the end it all depends on whether the U20s are available. I think they left this morning? Perhaps MAgnay can sit on the bench?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no announcement of Thorn, but he has been in training and he is registered to a club.

Simmons is injured, Matwijow is released.

Paper suggesting Douglas will play from the bench.

If that is the case, then we need a starter. The two locks from U20s are on their way back and haven't been with the team for ages.

I genuinely can't see another option unless we go to club land where options could be Phil Potgeiter (QLD Cntry last year), Tyrell Barker (QLD Country) or Radike Samo!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he played it at school and Australian Schoolboys.

Wouldn't be my choice but it's an option.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds team accommodation when in Canberra.

BerwickRetirementLawyers.jpg

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Can't we just ask the Harlequins if we can borrow James for a match or two? He's already out here, may as well keep his fitness up!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can't we just ask the Harlequins if we can borrow James for a match or two? He's already out here, may as well keep his fitness up!

Just put Caderyn Neville on the teamsheet and get him to run out in whatever headgear Ben Daley has sorted out for this week.

I'm sure no one will notice.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
no announcement of Thorn, but he has been in training and he is registered to a club.

Simmons is injured, Matwijow is released.

Paper suggesting Douglas will play from the bench.

If that is the case, then we need a starter. The two locks from U20s are on their way back and haven't been with the team for ages.

I genuinely can't see another option unless we go to club land where options could be Phil Potgeiter (QLD Cntry last year), Tyrell Barker (QLD Country) or Radike Samo!

What a mess. Is this genuinely simple bad luck, or are we seeing management issues?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a mess. Is this genuinely simple bad luck, or are we seeing management issues?

Matwijow had to be released as far I can tell because he was playing as an injury joker for Douglas.

I don't think he could have stayed on to cover a short term injury.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
A bit of both I think. Simmons' injury has come at a bad time, but we knew we had depth issues at lock going back to the start of the season. Letting Matwijow go before Douglas is ready to return is a problem, particularly when the U20s aren't available.

Reds management seem to have a thing for loading up on backrowers at the expense of other forwards. We were already fairly well stocked there, despite injuries to guys like Fakaosilea, but then the guys they signed were Timu and Houston.

So now, despite the fact even Timu was injured before he got a game, we are looking at one of our best players (Browning) being relegated to the bench while we can't put two fit locks on the field (at least not two under 40!).

And it's not just at lock we have depth issues. We know we have a glaring issue at 10, while we have too many wingers so that guys like Kuridrani and Laloifi aren't even seeing the bench.

Bad luck compounded by bad management, perhaps?

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Douglas is returning. That is why Matwijow has been let go.

Yeah, I know - but they can find the time (and money) to sign Timu and Houston to start immediately. Was there honestly no way they could have found a way to hold onto Matwijow, or sign a new lock instead of yet another backrower? Three first-line locks (Simmons, Neville and Douglas) is never going to be enough for a Super Rugby season. Particularly when one of them is already out for almost the entire season.

This is not a sudden problem, like three locks getting injured in one game. It was obvious since well before the start of the season when Douglas got injured, so why are we at the stage when one injury to a lock (Simmons) means we can't put two first-line locks onto the field?

Just seems odd to me. Particularly when, as I said, Browning is about to find himself on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.