• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds - Saturday 22 February 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Slipper at LHP? :confused: How 'bout giving the poor bastard a side of the scrum he's best at and leave him there.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Having never played in the front three I have no idea but I would've thought there'd be a significant enough difference in energy expenditure at TH as opposed to LH? That's always been my guess anyway.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Slipper has a huge engine on him, though, and I would say could handle the load better than most THPs. I'd prefer to have, say, Slipper at THP and Daley and LHP if they want to maximise their props in general play.

Reactions: BDA

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
and the difference of scrumming up against 2 people at TH as opposed to 1 at LH. Its a fairly common approach to prop selection.

I presumed you were talking about the fact they can break out quicker because there's a shoulder free.

The reason I disagree with the less effort at LH V TH approach is because the amount of energy used is not accurately measured by force against you, but rather the force you're exerting.

For example, if I whack 100kg on a bench press and move it really really fast I'm using the same amount of energy as when I bench 120kg slowly. No prop is going to use less energy based on the force against him IMO.

I've played all over the front row (though, not at elite level) and I just can't give you a quantifiable difference in effort exerted in the scrum.

But I guess I'm not an elite coach and this is just my opinion. I also don't think I explained it very well haha.

T

tranquility

Slipper is a LHP, who can play TH. Pretty simple.

It is also pretty clear, that a tighthead has a larger role to play in all scrums that the disruptive nature of the LH. Doesn't the short story go that a TH creates the foundation of a scrum, and a LH try's his best to make the opposition ball as disrupted as possible?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Seems to be some disagreement as to whether Slipper is a LHP or THP. I wish the Reds and Wobs would just pick one and leave him there. surely consistently playing at THP or LHP would be beneficial in the long run, rather than constantly moving back and forth.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seems to be some disagreement as to whether Slipper is a LHP or THP. I wish the Reds and Wobs would just pick one and leave him there. surely consistently playing at THP or LHP would be beneficial in the long run, rather than constantly moving back and forth.

Isn't that what they are doing now. He plays LH in the wallabies and now he playing LH for the Reds. I hope this is the case.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't that what they are doing now. He plays LH in the wallabies and now he playing LH for the Reds. I hope this is the case.

Yep.........

He's been a TH at the Reds until now.........

So it will be interesting to see how the Reds front row goes with him and Holmes now swapping sides after all this time..........

T

tranquility

Yep...

He's been a TH at the Reds until now...

So it will be interesting to see how the Reds front row goes with him and Holmes now swapping sides after all this time....

Sorry Slim, not true.

Holmesy has been playing tighthead and loosehead for the Red for the past two seasons. Slipper, was picked for the Wobs playing LH for us. By no means is this a new combination.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Pretty excited about this match. As a few have alluded to it could be ruled by the ref and perhaps a "trench warfare" type aussie derby. If it opens up a bit the selection of Smith at 13 and Toua at 15 could be crucial (would have liked to see CFS at 13). The acceleration, speed and all round rugby nouse of Toua could see him get on the outside of Smith a bit. He's a good defender but there is no substitute for out and out speed. Will be an interesting match up between these two backlines.... plenty of talent there. Piggies to bash the hell out of each other hopefully.

I want the Reds to get up but think the Ponies will get the W tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.