• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Shorks- Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies_v_Shorks.jpg

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies have named an unchanged lineup for the 4th week in a row to take on the Shorks on Saturday night.

The only problem with the squad is a bout of conjunctivitis affecting one player but it should clear up by game day.

This match also marks the 50th Super Rugby game for Patrick Phibbs.

S

Spook

The Brumbies better play well. They've been lethargic and shite.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well the Sharks will certainly be fucking angry after last week. They might blow their wad in the first 30 though...

Looks farking cold in Canboring at the moment. No-one has excuses about humidity I'm guessing.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Balmy day in Canberra today, although expect it to be cold tonight. Overcast, but no rain so far today. Should be good conditions, but if any dew or rain comes down it might turn to a soap fest like last week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just found out that Smit is going to be at prop. Alexander should be licking his lips...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cyclo - for your benefit I think the Brumbies ended up winning the scrum battle overall. Ma'afu really stood up but I'm disappointed Alexander didn't hammer the shit out of Smit.

Sharks are poo. Discipline is shit. Leadership is shit. With that kind of roster they must have some political ructions going on.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Looked that way - Brumbies scrum got better and better.
Really lacking in any backline firepower, apart from Franky Fancyboots.
Ugly win.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Spook said:
Happy with that to be honest. Was a danger game.

Smit summed it up. Shorks only have themselves to blame. Fark they make so many errors.

Brumbies don't look like a team that can win this comp. Fowards are great. Back are nowhere on attack.

S

Spook

It's always the last play that is breaking down. MORTLOCK is the problem. We looked a lot better with Tyrone Smith. I'd like to see McCabe to 15, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Mafi to the wing (or T Smith to 13). I'd be interested in seeing the number of line breaks by the Brumbies. My feeling is that they are making breaks but not finishing them.

Mortlock rarely gets over the advantage line, often driven back, and drops the ball every other time. T Smith is looking for more powerful in contact and has those good feet.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Giteau was just OK, and he ought to be better for all the hype, and pay packet. His kicking was better, but still a bit aimless. He doesn't create in attack. Once Mortlock gives nothing, it all breaks down.
I disagree about Tyrone. He was nowhere near his best - sure he got over the advantage line better than Mortlock, but that aint saying much. He was pretty stodgy otherwise. I've seen him do much better. Lealiifano made some good yards, but never had anyone on his hip which was a shame.
I would also like to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. I know he is the Wallaby 15 incumbent, but he would be so much better at 13 I think. Mortlock looks tired and a bit disinterested.
As for line breaks - can't recall the exact numbers after the game, but I think the Sharks won that (might be wrong), and certainly the Sharks were better at getting over the advantage line.

C

chief

Giteau was ok from what I saw. I think more time for Toomoua is the best idea, but out of the question. Giteau really needs to up his game.

R

reflex

It was always a danger game but the Brumbies were shown up badly in the backs. Mortlock should not start again at 13 - I would have Tyrone Smith there and keep both wingers - not that they get a chance to do much since the ball never gets there.

As last week, the Brumbies have no plan to get over the line apart from bashing it up and hope for a 50:50 squeeze over the line like tonight. The backs never looked like scoring and the midfield kicking is aimless and a waste of the ball. Is that Giteau entirely?

Really I could have written this in advance of the game - it's the same tired formula that isn't working - God help us when we meet a side that counter attacks and runs the ball. Happily tonight it was only the Sharks which had even less clue about Rugby than the Brumbies did. Long season coming up.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You're right, the lack of penetration leads to Giteau having to kick more, so not all his fault, but part of the lack of attack must be sheeted home to the 10 - that's what they are there to do - make stuff happen. Mortlock is usually the go-to man to get forward, but just isn't doing it. Plan B seems to be missing. Bit Tah-like (usually) really.

Status
Not open for further replies.