• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies, what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
As a fan they've been acceptable all year without ever stepping out of 1st gear. What's going on?

is friend a crap coach?

are their too many rockstars?

they were terrible in the second half tonight. i wonder what the team talk was like

S

Spook

I didn't think they were as bad as that Loiue. There were some bad mistackles after 1/2 time but Gits is starting to fire. I'd like to see more of To'omua at 10 and Gits at 12. Lealiifano missed a lot of tackles this evening as well. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13. McCabe at 15. Be nice to find somewhere for Andrew Smith as well - on the wing possibly.

Brumby set piece is good.

T

TOCC

there defence is definetly nothing to write home about, and there attack is somewhat lackluster, they are yet to score 4 tries in a match..

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Brumbies have a great back three but how many times this season have they found the ball with any space. Look at Frankie for instance - the only time he gets the ball this season is in traffic.

Contrast that to the Blues - how often was Rokocoko in space? Maybe it's going to take some time for them to click - but as we all know there's no time in this comp - you blink and you miss it...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Rokocoko was in space every time they kicked it straight too him. Why not kick it out and continue to pressure their lineout? Blues threw it to 2 every time as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
2 Blues tries in the second half were just bad missed tackles - the one on Ranger where Gits tackled, let him go, then another (? Smith, ? Lealiifano) went straight over the top; the other up the other end from the kickoff when Tyrone Smith just got bumped off by Ranger.
Brumbies didn't look too bad, good set pieces, good D.
My gripe with them? Ball carrying forwards were often ineffectual. If there is a more lightweight ball-carrier than Hoiles I'd love to see who it is - he gets smashed backwards with monotonous regularity. Chisolm flops a bit too much a la Sharpe when he gets into contact. He should do better I reckon. In fact a lot of then carry too high - a fault seen in many Oz forwards.
Good points? Set pieces very solid, defence well organised, save for one-on-one misses which cost them dearly.
Bad? Tyrone seems a bit at sea at 13 - he is a 12, and they are not interchangeable. Giteau, although better, was still too lateral. They made a couple of good movements, but then someone blindly ran into contact instead of looking for the next man, which might have made a difference. The Blues, on the other hand, didn't die wondering.
Oddity of the 2nd half? Brumbies smashed the Blues scrum midfield, half the Blues pack just peeled off, then Lawrence let them rejoin it as a maul. Surely a penalty for standing up and unbinding since the Brumbies pack was still engaged? Referees out there?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
cyclopath said:
Ball carrying forwards were often ineffectual

Very true. Holies, Chis etc need to pass the ball more or just stay back and offer support at the break down. brumbies attack needs more players that are pruely focused on making the breakdown, nothing else. the backs don't touch the ball enough.

S

Spook

Moses said:
Rokocoko was in space every time they kicked it straight too him. Why not kick it out and continue to pressure their lineout? Blues threw it to 2 every time as well.

MAte, I was screaming to kick it out. Someone said the Brumbies back 3 is good...I disagree, other than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) the others have been so so

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I've like pat McCabe. I think he's a winner. Wasn't really there tonight tho.

Friend through throw caution to the wind and play A.Smith next week

S

Spook

louie said:
I've like pat McCabe. I think he's a winner. Wasn't really there tonight tho.

Friend through throw caution to the wind and play A.Smith next week

Yep, McCabe doesn't have loads of pace though. He's a fullback.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Spook said:
Moses said:

MAte, I was screaming to kick it out. Someone said the Brumbies back 3 is good...I disagree, other than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) the others have been so so

Someone being me. McCabe is strong, Frankie is quick - they are both good players but don't get any room to work. Friend should move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to outside centre, put Smith on a wing and move McCabe to FB. It will help but won't solve the problem.

Unfortunately, outside backs get starved of quality ball when Gits is at 10. Wallabies and now Brums...

B

blues_man

the brumbies went from a kick-a-thon team to a team (they thought) that could match the blues in the running department.

the brumbies play much better when they stick to their structured attack then "let loose" when they defence is scrambling back chasing their tails.

there was nothing christain or tyronne could of done to stop a rampaging rene ranger. one bad defensive game shouldn't send alarm bells ringing... trust me, i should know - i support the blues!

back your boys if your true supporters, they will come good!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Welcome blues_man, good to have some more Kiwi's around.

Did anyone else notice that the final pass to Stanley for his try was over a metre forward?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gaps in the Brumbie armory:

Number 8. Ineffective
13. Mortloch has been poor ans Smoth disappointed with ball in hand.
Poor kick return and not good kicking out of hand.
Slipped tackles.
That extra Brumbie gear ain't there.

All fixable thoguh, but time will run out soon.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The brumbies remind me of a really good barbecue that someone paid a lot of money for. They invite all their friends around and have marinated some meat, put dry rub on some ribs and frosted up some beers. Then when they push the ignite button nothing happens. They keep plugging at it until they realise some wire is out of place. Then they fire the coach and roughly 15 mins later everyone has delicious meat in their mouths.

C

chief

Lealifiano was a big dissapointment at first reciever. More Toomoua less Christian.

Could have won the game if Toomoua was on, and was playing average.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua looked good when he came on apart from the kick out on the full. Would love to see him start at 10. Gits back at 12. Like mentioned above the number 13 spot has been inneffective this season. I think its about time we got AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in their. Pat McCabe too fullback or start training lealiifano at fullback.

A backline of 10. To'omua, 11. fainifo 12. Gits 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14. Pat McCabe 15. Lealiifano would be awesome!

Only problem i can see with this backline is lealifano's limited experience at fullback but his performances this year have been pretty good (apart from tonight) he really doesnt deserve to be demoted to the bench.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There were some horrid errors by the Brumbies. IIRR two poor restart receptions eventually lead to Blues tries and their right hand side defence was outnumbered time after time. Then there were too many missed tackles and too often not being in place to make them.

Part of that defence problem was the Blues innate ability to switch the ball to the other side of the ground whatever year it is and whatever players, and another part was lack of diligence by the Brumbies and dare I say it: laziness; laziness in not sprinting back to get into position as if it were they who were about to score a try instead of the Blues. There was also team laziness in getting too late to rucks.

Every forum poster knows that Tyrone Smith is slow by S14 standards and shouldn't be further out than 12 if he starts in a game. Incidentally, closer in suits his combative nature, whichever side has the ball. I would have had a punt on Andrew Smith at 13 based on his form there for the Runners. He is not quite as young as Tony Johnson suggested in the commentary, nor as fast, but he knows how to make a line break and to break tackles.

The worst feature of their game was also one of their best. When they realised they had to be expansive they looked good using the ball but the bad part was they weren't doing it earlier. On the other hand the Blues chanced their arm from the 2nd half kick off.

Anybody else think that Giteau moving to 12 and the Brumbies back line looking better was no coincidence?

Give credit to the Blues and such players as Ranger who also pinballed for a try against the Reds. Good to see Joe Rock playing well though, alas, against an Oz team. As a rugby lover it was good to see the Blues winning the ball not by leaving feet or being cynical, but by counter-rucking on feet. They got ahead of the ball a tad too much for my liking but otherwise looked righteous.

Having criticised the Brumbies they weren't far off on the scoreboard were they? Although their restarts were poor, their scrums and lineouts were good. (I don't like excluding restarts from the set pieces definition - I think they qualify.)

Let's not give up on them yet.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Lee Grant said:
Anybody else think that Giteau moving to 12 and the Brumbies back line looking better was no coincidence?

Gits looked very good when he started to run the ball. that break was the best thing i've seem from him in about two years. i hope he loved the feeling of it

Status
Not open for further replies.