• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bryce Lawrence - JO'N forced my retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Bryce-Lawrence-retires-20121016#.UH1PIWhvkss.twitter

Cape Town - Bryce Lawrence has pulled the plug on his career after his 200th first-class match in charge.

Retirement was forced on Lawrence after the vitriol he suffered from the fall-out after the Springboks' loss to the Wallabies in the quarter-finals at last year's Rugby World Cup.

"It got pretty bad," Lawrence said. "Not really threats on my family as such, there was a concern, but it was mainly aimed at me through social media. On Facebook they launched a 'get rid of Bryce Lawrence' site and it was pretty nasty.

"That was absolutely the reason for my career change.

"I had four really good games at the World Cup and then I had that. I had outside pressure from pretty senior people from rugby countries behind the scenes that really created my mindset of lacking confidence to deliver what I normally do.

"There was some pretty nasty political stuff going on about that appointment. I refereed Australia versus Ireland and Ireland had won but behind the scenes guys like (Australian chief executive) John O'Neill were kicking up a massive stink. I knew a bit about that and it was enough to affect me, and it probably made me freeze on the biggest stage."

Lawrence admits that was not the first time he had been affected by external pressure getting to him. "At last year's Super Rugby final between Crusaders and Reds there was massive media pressure around me being a non-neutral referee and I let that affect me going into that game. Again, I didn't make decisions and let the outside pressure change what I do."

Looks like I missed an achievement to add to JO'Ns CV in my piece earlier this week

You should see the Saffa comments on that article though, looking a bit pork choppish

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
'Terrible news that', said nobody.

You don't hear Stu Dickinson saying that Paddy O'Brien ruined his career.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So the boss of any team that thinks a ref has had a shocker is, by your endorsement of this as one of the few JON triumphs, entitled to run that ref out of the game?
You should put that on the front page Gagger : if it catches on as a means of managing refs performances it could revolutionize the game.
I think we should be ashamed that we, as a rugby nation, brought about that outcome. And I'm no Lawrence supporter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I had four really good games at the World Cup
This is what shocked me the most. I don't think Bryce has had 4 good minutes in rugby let alone 4 games, in a row.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
So the boss of any team that thinks a ref has had a shocker is, by your endorsement of this as one of the few JON triumphs, entitled to run that ref out of the game?
You should put that on the front page Gagger : if it catches on as a means of managing refs performances it could revolutionize the game.
I think we should be ashamed that we, as a rugby nation, brought about that outcome. And I'm no Lawrence supporter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest my comment (and title of post) was tongue in cheek as I find it pretty fanciful that JO'N should cop the blame for Bryce's repeated (by his own admission) poor performances and thereby his exit from the game.

T

TOCC

Do we forgive the New Zealand fans for jeering Quade and putting him off his game?... No.. It's all part of being a pro athlete..

International referees are professional referees and are paid full time, and rather handsomely at that..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So the criticism from JON made him freeze in the Saffa game? Alright, one explained, now how bout the other 40 times Bryce?

You have to wonder how he was allowed to continue for so long if it was that obvious he was susceptible to any pressure in big games.

He is basically saying he helped the reds and wallabies win because of the pressure!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Apart from demonstrating why he shouldn't have been anywhere near the RWC, Bryce's statements indicate the problem of non-neutral referees. It's as we suspected - they feel under much more pressure because of it.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
how-to-play-violin.s600x600.jpg

Compared to being lynched in South Africa.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The worrying thing must be the overall lack of top level referees FULLSTOP.

The gene pool available to the IRB referees boss for Tier 1 Tests seems to be quite shallow, and apart from "Aussie" Steve W, IIRC there are no other Australians on the list.

The perception that National board CEO's have agenda's against certain referees may discourage up and coming referees to put their hat in the ring for selection to the IRB Referee panel.

DrewB

Bob McCowan (2)
Bryce was never my favourite ref, but he had clearly dropped further off the pace in the last 12 months. I was surprised he received a gig at the RWC, perhaps they felt his experience would get him through.

These comments from him now do not reflect well on him and just adds merit to those who questioned him. I want clear, logical, well thought out comments from a ref when seriously discussing the game - the same as I want it reffed.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I think we should be ashamed that we, as a rugby nation, brought about that outcome.

It's a tactic used by Football (soccer) managers in Europe and Sir Alex Ferguson does a great job in intimidating referee's to hesitate in calling against his team.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Poor Bryce, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. At least one of the up and coming refs is more than a capable replacement, as Glen Jackson has been very impressive with what I've seen of him. I suppose that being a Super Rugby player has provided Jackson with a great insight in managing play.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bryce is a shithouse ref, don't get me wrong. But I don't think that JO'N should have been upset at the ref for the Ireland game, he should have had the shits with the players for being beaten from pillar to post!

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sad the way this has all turned out, it's a bad precedent to set (for many reasons). Hopefully he has a good career as a ref coach.

At the end of the day he reffed 25 tests and was one of NZ's top refs for a few years. He did his bit for the game and was maybe over-promoted towards the end, but it is a nice career to reflect on.

Status
Not open for further replies.