• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs - Super Rugby Rd11 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So this game is on at 1am Sydney time on Saturday night.

Does anyone know the Waratahs squad that left this morning? I can't find details or it anywhere.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So this game is on at 1am Sydney time on Saturday night.

Does anyone know the Waratahs squad that left this morning? I can't find details or it anywhere.

I've been looking too. Looks like the intern had Sunday off and didn't get the press release out.

This game will be really tough for all the usual reasons and for a few unusual ones:
  • The usual reasons are the travel and time change issues and the game being at altitude.
  • Additionally the Bulls are top of the SA conference and confidence is really high after routing the Kings. They are seven points off the top of the table, but have done their overseas tour and will be in SA for the rest of the comp. With so many SA teams not playing well, they have a real chance of at least getting to 2nd and possibly first, which gives them home games in the finals. Huge incentive!
  • The Tahs will find their new gameplan does not really suit Loftus. Every turnover is likely to end up 70+ metres down the pitch with Bulls outside backs that spend 80% of their training time on kick-chase. When we try to play field position we are not very good at it, we haven't yet got to introduce those skills to the team because we have had to focus on learning how to attack with the ball. Our longest kicker has played just one game for the team and Foley is lucky to get 35 metres with the wind behind him. Up against Steyne and Kirchner we are at a serious disadvantage.
So despite our great performance on Friday night this is going to be a very difficult game to win and one for which we have to get our tactics just right. Not impossible, but bloody hard.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Rush Steyn and put a lot of pressure on him. He needs.
Other thing is check the referees position when they attack. If the referee is one of those standing in the defensive line make sure you have someone to cover that hole because its the first thing they learn players at the Bulls academy. Aim for the referee when you run. He is a legal blocker

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder if the bulls have done their homework on folau and will still try to target him with high kicks? I will be interested to see how he handles it if they do, particularly his positioning.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Hasn't dropped one all season. I suppose that might happen this game, but if that's the Bulls' strategy, I feel better already.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have the tahs ever won at Loftus? I have a vague recollection of a win from the early 2000s but it might be wishful thinking.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Hasn't dropped one all season. I suppose that might happen this game, but if that's the Bulls' strategy, I feel better already.
it's been their tactic for the last 6 years, hasn't it?

I'm not worried about him dropping the ball, I'm interested to see how well he can position himself to take those balls.

I hope Chieka is drumming into the tahs his comments from friday - you guys can't play tactical, just hold the ball and choke the opposition.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Every game for us is last chance saloon in terms of making the finals, and this is going to be a tough one.
I just don't think we'll be able to handle the conditions at altitude and we'll run out of steam around the 60 minute mark. We're going to need a massive first half if we're going to win and Cheika has to use the bench well. Can't think of any changes I'd make to the 22 from Friday, pending Mitchells injury update of course if he is out Betham should come straight in.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
mitchell will be out for a few weeks at least - tweeted that scans revealed a slight tear. Agree we should have the same team, but will need to use the bench more.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I wonder if the bulls have done their homework on folau and will still try to target him with high kicks? I will be interested to see how he handles it if they do, particularly his positioning.

It's Loftus. It's Steyn. You could have Santie Claus at 15 and he'll be getting bombs all day.

The Bulls dealt with the Kingz so easily because they dominated the collisions all day. That way Steyn get loads of time. But the did something they barely ever did on tour. Steyn took a lot of ball on the run and much, much more flat and passed or tried to offload in collision. They are also using young Serfontein as a first receiver. Completely changes the way you need to defend against the Bulls as the last time they played with any deception or variation in attack was around 1801. You can check the archives. I was so shocked that I started looking for something strong but then remembered I don't drink.

Play like they did at the breakdown over the weekend and the Tahs are a legit chance. The Tahs will have the edge in the scrums. We have been shit. Lineouts should be about even.

Bulls are carrying a bucketload of injuries. Could be without both their number 4 locks as well as Ralepele. Vermaak who was MOM against Kings also in doubt in which case we would have to start a rookie at 9.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Vermaak who was MOM against Kings also in doubt in which case we would have to start a rookie at 9.

That could be big! Replacement 9 on the weekend (Rudy Paige?) was poor. Option taking was terrible. Kept trying to snipe though a wall of Kings forwards and got turned over on numerous occasions. Playing against stronger opposition without a 20 point cushion and that could be trouble!

Very impressed with what I have seen of Serfontein so far (although almost over-hyped by the commentators! Even a simple offload or skip pass at times is lauded as game changing). Regardless, he has definitely added some variety to the Bulls' game and has also created extra room for JJ outside of him. Very promising centre combination.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Haven't seen the team, but based on Cheika's comments and actions so far this season, he's building a team and after working out who's who, he's starting lineup looks more and more settled ecery week. Based on that, I'd say the backs will be:

9 McKibbin
10 Foley
11 Crawford
12 Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Mitchell/Betham
15 Folau

Forwards in all likelihood (apologies if I have numbers incorrect)
1 Robinson
2 TPN
3 Kepu
4 Douglas
5 Timani
6 Dennis
7 Hooper
8 Palu

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell tweeted he's not going to SA. Crawford has to stay, I'd drop Betham back to the bench and start Kingston. I do like that the team is starting to pick itself and have some selection consistency. I just want to see Lucas over McKibbin for once.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I just want to see Lucas over McKibbin for once.
As many of us do, but Cheika was reported in yesterday's paper as saying words to the effect 'McKibbin played his best game of the year, he's doing everything that we want him to do'. Coupled with the fact that Lucas hasn't played 1 minute of the last 160, I'd say McKibbin is in.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Still can't find anywhere who got on the plane to SA. I know Mitchell didn't and I know from tweeting that Izzy did. Anyone got a definitive list?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Quick Hands

I also thought that McKibbin had his best game of the season; though that is faint praise: his management of the backline has been ordinary sometimes in 2013 there have been too many absences at ruck time.

But give him credit: he had a good game.

Cyril Towers (30)
Still can't find anywhere who got on the plane to SA. I know Mitchell didn't and I know from tweeting that Izzy did. Anyone got a definitive list?
Hawko, I know they took 26 and that the 22 from Fri night (minus Mitchell) all went. My guess is that Tilse, Holloway, Lopeti, Carter (or Hodge) and Kingston are the others. I hear Turner picked up a nasty injury playing for Eastwood, and Skelton has picked up an injury otherwise they would probably have gone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quick Hands

I also thought that McKibbin had his best game of the season; though that is faint praise: his management of the backline has been ordinary sometimes in 2013 there have been too many absences at ruck time.

But give him credit: he had a good game.

He did, no doubt about it.

Reading between the lines I think that Cheika wants a half who is going to pass rather than run and definitely not kick. That's the way McKibbin is playing anyway and it was a fairly strong endorsement from Cheika in Sunday's paper.

We've seen the Waratahs chop and change players and combinations over the past 4 years and we know the disastrous results that follow. I for one am very happy the Cheika appears to be picking more or less the same team every week. It took him a few weeks to work out for himself who fitted where, but we are now seeing the players playing with increased confidence at a much faster tempo. This, IMO, comes from picking the same players in the same positions week after week. If that means McKibbin, I can live with it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hawko, I know they took 26 and that the 22 from Fri night (minus Mitchell) all went. My guess is that Tilse, Holloway, Lopeti, Carter (or Hodge) and Kingston are the others. I hear Turner picked up a nasty injury playing for Eastwood, and Skelton has picked up an injury otherwise they would probably have gone.
Yeah papers say he broke his leg, a real shame

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom