• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Squad for 2018.

Ben Hyne captain with Tom Cusack and Lachlan McCaffrey sitting out to prepare for 2019 Super Rugby.

2018 CANBERRA VIKINGS SQUAD

Jacob ABEL (Eastern Suburbs)
Rory ARNOLD (Gungahlin Eagles)
Tom BANKS (Uni-Norths Owls)
Max BODE (Uni-Norths Owls)
BJ EDWARDS (Gungahlin Eagles)
Blake ENEVER (Eastern Suburbs)
Folau FAINGA’A (Western Districts Lions)
Vunipola FIFITA (West Harbour, NSW)
Seth GOING (Canberra Royals)
Mack HANSEN (Gungahlin Eagles)
Wharenui HAWERA (Gungahlin Eagles)
Ben HYNE (Captain) (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Len IKITAU (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Luke KIMBER (Canberra Royals)
Brodie LEBER (Western Districts Lions)
Leslie LEULUAIALII-MAKIN (Queanbeyan Whites)
Noah LOLESIO (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Ryan LONERGAN (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Josh MANN-REA (Gungahlin Eagles)
Connal MCINERNEY (Easts, Sydney/Canberra Royals)
Andy MUIRHEAD (Canberra Royals)
Michael OAKMAN-HUNT (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Chance PENI (Western Districts Lions)
Pedro ROLANDO (Canberra Royals)
Tom ROSS (Gungahlin Eagles)
Irae SIMONE (Northern Suburbs, Sydney/TBC)
Darcy SWAIN (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Lausii TALIAULI (Canberra Royals)
Sione TAULA (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Mitch TYE (Western Districts Lions)
Rob VALETINI (Western Districts Lions)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's a shame about Cusack, especially after his 'player of the season' performance last year...........

And no Canberra born and bred Joe Powell?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting that we've got 4 hookers in a 32 man squad - Fainga'a, McInerney, Mann-Rea and now Fifita........... granted, Faigaa will likely be pre-occupied with the test team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Basically a Brumbies B team with some development players. I'd like to see us start out with this line up:

1Sione Taula
2Connal McInerney
3Les Makin
4Rory Arnold
5Blake Enever
6Rob Valetini
7Michael Oakman-Hunt
8Ben Hyne (c)
9Ryan Lonergan
10Wharenui Hawera
11Chance Peni edit: Andrew Muirhead
12Mack Hansen edit: Irae Simone
13Len Ikitau
14Lausii Taliauli
15Andrew Muirhead edit: Mack Hansen

16Josh Mann-Rea
17Vunipola Fifita
18Tom Ross
19Darcy Swain
20BJ Edwards
21Pedro Rolando
22Jacob Abel/Jordan Jackson-Hope
23Noah Lolesio edit: Chance Peni

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We won't have two hookers on the bench, and I would expect Swain to start as Arnold (like Fainga'a and Banks) will likely be tied up with Wallabies duties.........

And Simone will be a lock to start at 12.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fafita has several games as LHP, so I'd still expect him to be backup to Sione. If Arnold goes (Cheika gonna Chek), I agree that Swain starts and it'll probably be Kimber on the bench.

And yeah, Simone was an oversight. Muirhead to the wing, Hansen to fullback, Peni to the bench, Lolesio drops out.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
That's a shame about Cusack, especially after his 'player of the season' performance last year.....

And no Canberra born and bred Joe Powell?

I'm guessing they didn't name Joe Powell because he played for the Wallabies during the June series, as no other Wallabies who played in that series were named but Banks, Fainga'a and Arnold were, as they didn't play. Powell I assume will play for Vikings if released from Wallabies.

And Fifita is a prop not a hooker.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We won't have two hookers on the bench, and I would expect Swain to start as Arnold (like Fainga'a and Banks) will likely be tied up with Wallabies duties...

And Simone will be a lock to start at 12.

Expect Swain to have a big influence at this level.

Simone at 12 or 13. He plays either.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BJ, I see that the Rising have a Valetini listed in their NRC squad. Is there another?

EDIT : Just saw that it is Kemu Valetini in the Rising. Anyone know anything about him?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
BJ, I see that the Rising have a Valetini listed in their NRC squad. Is there another?

EDIT : Just saw that it is Kemu Valetini in the Rising. Anyone know anything about him?

Mid 20s, plays 10/15/13 (probably in that order of preference) and was actually in the wider training squad of the Rebels in their first year. Back when he was 19ish (don't think he was paid, but he played trials).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some conflicting info coming out about Kemu Valetini. The only semi official news lists him as 19 years old and playing No 10. Amirite and others (on the Rising thread) think he is older and probably plays wider. Some clarification would be good.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some conflicting info coming out about Kemu Valetini. The only semi official news lists him as 19 years old and playing No 10. Amirite and others (on the Rising thread) think he is older and probably plays wider. Some clarification would be good.

He does play #10. Just other positions too. He's undoubtedly been picked as a #10 but when he was younger I think he mainly played #13 and mostly #15 this year.

He's definitely not 19. If he's Rob's older brother and Rob is 19 then his parents must've been busy to have two kids who are the same age but not twins. Doesn't check out, just a badly researched article or a typo.

Here's an article with Beale mentioning him in 2013, so do the math. Would make him 24ish now presuming he was 19 then. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...and-raring-to-get-started-20130206-2dywc.html

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Robert is the youngest. There is another brother around Kemus age, Bill. 23-24 maybe and another older brother. There father Manu played for Fiji back in the day than migrated to Melbourne where they settled at Harlequins. Unbelievable player as was his twin brother Osea. I’m not sure if it was Kemu or the next oldest who has been playing in France. Robert was always going to be special you could see it in the U14’s Vic state team. The best thing he did was move away from Melbourne as that’s when he really started to focus on his rugby. The brothers are all blessed with talent. The oldest was on the verge of playing AFL. Great family from humble beginnings and deserve every success that comes there way.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Canberra Vikings are set to get an injection of Wallabies gold after Tom Banks, Folau Fainga'a, Rory Arnold and Joe Powell were cleared to play in the National Rugby Championship opener on Saturday night.
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...ell-released-for-vikings-20180828-p5007e.html

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vikings looking light on props, and Sione is having a blinder for Manuatu.........

Although they ended up getting pasted in the second half.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is Mack Hansen in the squad ? Edit see he is.. Is he looking at a start with the wallabies head back to camp ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.