• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ryan Lonergan has heaps of potential, but is at least a couple years, maybe more, off displacing Joe. The bigger threat to Joe is Nic White if he returns to the Brumbies as expected, (that is, assuming Cheika who apparently hasn't the time of day for him, leaves the Wallabies' setup at the end of RWC).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like George will have even more competition for a spot this weekend. Joe Powell ignored by Cheika once again. Can't see why he wouldn't just come home to at least get some game time.

I hope he doesn't get disheartened by Cheika's poor treatment of him and decide to take an overseas contract. Appears to be a similar situation to the one Nic White found himself in before the last RWC.

Looks like George will have even more competition for a spot this weekend. Joe Powell ignored by Cheika once again. Can't see why he wouldn't just come home to at least get some game time.

I hope he doesn't get disheartened by Cheika's poor treatment of him and decide to take an overseas contract. Appears to be a similar situation to the one Nic White found himself in before the last RWC.

I don't agree with this idea of poor treatment...Nick Phipps played very well in shute shield final which I suspect why gone up in the pecking order. This is about selecting what one feels is best player for the job and fact is Joe Powell has not really shown he is test quality yet. This is just a harsh reality that players will miss out and yes Joe Powell missing out. But is he really a stand out walk up choice for 9 as a replacement. Nope! I reckon Phipps ahead of Powell.

I might add I reckon other 9's will also overtake Powell next season e.g. Tate McDermott....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nick Phipps played very well in shute shield final which I suspect why gone up in the pecking order.

I'm not sure how one decent performance by Phipps in a park footy game can overshadow Powell's consistently better form in higher tiered professional rugby?

But is he really a stand out walk up choice for 9 as a replacement. Nope! I reckon Phipps ahead of Powell.

Nah, outside of 2014 Phipps has been a test passenger, and in comparison Powell has had very few test opportunities - this weekend just another example.........

But I think that's all irrelevant anyways - it seems obvious to me that Phipps is being given a test farewell this week along with TPN.

Anyways, back to the Vikings.........

Reactions: mst