• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yikes. Not good for Brisbane Country. Fainga'a (and hopefully Sam Johnson) are going to have to do some big work in the centres to ensure the ball doesn't get out wide and MAtt Brandon is going to have to get it to the bleachers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My guess is that this will be the only opportunity to see Henry and Joe in the NRC. Expect them to be called for higher duties after this game if they prove their fitness.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Henry wont be, he's out of this afternoons game with a hammy complaint. Doesn't sound like it's healing easily... :(

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Unfortunately he went off injured. Dominated in the short time he was on the field. Looked like it was his knee again? Any news?

I am aware that Tom has done his ankle. Out for the rest of the time he would have been available, which was only 4 wks until he had 7's commitments.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I have to say that I would like to see a few more club players get a little more time on the pitch. I think Isaac Thompson has had a great start to the NRC. I feel like we are running pretty much a Brumbies squad with not a lot of development for the club boys. Example, Eden (no.9 bench), went on for 1minute 15s at the very end of the game but on the wing??? How can a young lad get a good go with a minute 15 to go and no ball. I think Jerome Nuiomata?? had a great game in place of Speights. Some of the other Franchises are running a lot of up and coming club boys. Are we all just about winning so we get the crowd through the gates and get more funding for next year perhaps? Canberra can be very fickle when it comes to sport. And they tend to not come and watch a team if their not winning. Thoughts anyone?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the coaches/selectors are doing all right with their selections. The competition is about giving deserving club players a chance to show their wares but also to bring fringe Super players up to the standard required for them to play S15 next year. In the latter group, players like Ala'alatoa, Dowsett, Cree, Staniforth, Thompson, Ah Wong have been given a lot of game time and the Brumbies will benefit next year. Club players like Makin, Lam, Wade and Nuimata are getting good opportunities to show there wares as well. And I expect a lock or two will get more time now that Staniforth has picked up an injury. Similarly, expect Iona to get more game time now he's back from injury as well.

The more these players get time with the established Brumbies' players the better they will be. In the long run, will be in the best interests of Australian rugby as a whole if the NRC is as competitive as it can be made to be.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Congrats to Les Makin for signing 1 year contract with Brumbies. These are the type of positive stories coming out of the NRC competition. And he's a local lad which is wonderful for the local competition.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lausii Taliauli had a very strong second half against the Stars. Looks like a very good pickup. Big and plenty of pace. Excellent side step at full speed, and looked strong in defense.

Any news on Robbie Coleman's injury?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Robbie won't be playing this week, along with Lam and Wade.

Just scrubbing up my boots in case they need me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If I was a brumbies fan I would be concerned, hopefully Bernie can fix this up before the super season starts

Might be a reason he declined the EOYT.

But not to worry. With White, Lealiifano, To'omua. Kuridrani, Speight and Tomane returning the Brumbies will have a (test standard) backline to rival any. Fullback is my main worry. Moggy seems to have been suffering injuries for a lot of this year and may return stronger and better next year, but we really need a reasonable backup for him. Does Dargueville play 15? I'm not sold on Robbie at 15. In fact, he's looking like the odd man out atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.