• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I see you are from Sydney where there are plenty of spots for local talent given the three teams, if there was one team that was used primarily for preparation for the super rugby season you might hold a different view!

This competition is not a try-out for club players.............

The best players from that level however will filter through, and currently the Vikings have the balance just right.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I see you are from Sydney where there are plenty of spots for local talent given the three teams, if there was one team that was used primarily for preparation for the super rugby season you might hold a different view!

I am not from Sydney mate, this comment falls over from the premise.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have no issue with Taliauli and Dargaville being the first choice Vikings' wingers. Neither are starters for the Brumbies and they are definitely the types of players who should play NRC.

With Dargaville's injury, Henry Speight comes in. Henry is an established Super player but is returning from injury and a stint at 7s. No issue there either. If Henry gets a call up to the Wallabies, as I expect, then it would be an ideal opportunity for someone like Kotz to get his chance.

Otherwise, I think he could also be considered at 15. I believe he's played 15 a fair bit at the Eagles, and that is a particular spot where the Brumbies and Vikings are very light on atm.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
This competition is not a try-out for club players.....

The best players from that level however will filter through, and currently the Vikings have the balance just right.
So the balance if having one club playing in the starting team is the right balance, and that one player is over 30? They have the balance right because they win? I would say the team they are playing this week, the Eagles have the balance right. A player like dargaville should not be playing for the vikings, he made it by playing for the stars, he should go back there (now the eagles after they merged) to play NRC and leave spots for players like Kotz. Just like the mitre 10 cup works, was watching it last night an Ihaia West who now is contracted to the Auckland Blues goes back and plays for Hawke's Bay despite them being in the Hurricane's region.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the balance if having one club playing in the starting team is the right balance, and that one player is over 30? They have the balance right because they win? I would say the team they are playing this week, the Eagles have the balance right. A player like dargaville should not be playing for the vikings, he made it by playing for the stars, he should go back there (now the eagles after they merged) to play NRC and leave spots for players like Kotz. Just like the mitre 10 cup works, was watching it last night an Ihaia West who now is contracted to the Auckland Blues goes back and plays for Hawke's Bay despite them being in the Hurricane's region.

They have the balance right because they've got a good mix Super Rugby fringe players and local club talent getting adequate game time...........

Add to that they have a test player returning to the team to get more game time in a position he looks to be getting developed in................

If Kotz can't make the starting team because of the players mentioned above, then he has no place in the starting team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But it's nice that the criticism has evolved from "too many Tuggeranong players" to "too many Super Rugby players"............

The underlying agenda remains the same.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
But it's nice that the criticism has evolved from "too many Tuggeranong players" to "too many Super Rugby players"....

The underlying agenda remains the same.
That would have something to do with the rules changing, up until now there was a cap of 14 super rugby players, that cap is no longer in place! Personally I think the club players selected are fair and reflect performances in the John I dent, with probably one exception! Better than the 80%+ Tuggeranong players in the original NRC!

Reactions: mst

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)

Maybe I am late to this thread and a conversation killer but there seems some keyboard blindness. In the history of NRC the UC Canberra Vikings have imported players:

2014 - Mitch Wade and Lam
2015 - Mitch Third and new Brumby signings played in Anae and Toua
2016 - Alex Horan

Are you sure NSW Country have the balance right a NSW country farmer comes up against two Sydney Uni blokes. Latu and Fa’ainga.

You use Dargaville as your example but this is his second year for the Vikings, I think he would be happier playing here now that he recuperate with his local medical and Brumby staff.
You could have used N. Jooste as your example but Perth don't

Reactions: mst

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Maybe I am late to this thread and a conversation killer but there seems some keyboard blindness. In the history of NRC the UC Canberra Vikings have imported players:

2014 - Mitch Wade and Lam
2015 - Mitch Third and new Brumby signings played in Anae and Toua
2016 - Alex Horan

Are you sure NSW Country have the balance right a NSW country farmer comes up against two Sydney Uni blokes. Latu and Fa’ainga.

You use Dargaville as your example but this is his second year for the Vikings, I think he would be happier playing here now that he recuperate with his local medical and Brumby staff.
You could have used N. Jooste as your example but Perth don't

I think the point is more that he could spend time at home. Dargaville is from the Northern Beaches so perhaps the Rays would suit him better.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the point is more that he could spend time at home. Dargaville is from the Northern Beaches so perhaps the Rays would suit him better.

On the presumption that he doesn't consider Canberra his home and preferred place to be, especially to play NRC. I would presume that playing here under the nose of the Brumbies coaches, with other members of the Brumbies backline would be far more beneficial to his future than playing close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.