• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swain very unlucky to miss the U20s this year. Could be a top level lock in the making. Will probably fill Staniforth's role next year.

He probably missed out for rational reasons, but the only Aussie lock that's impressed me at the 20s is Swinton, who will NEVER play professional lock (too short, will be a 6).

It's a shame. I rate Swain.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Now that Ewen McKenzie is working in Canberra, maybe he could Link in a consulting role with the Vikings in the NRC and/or the Brumbies for the pre-season preparation for 2018? Would be a huge boost to the coaching staff in both organisations who are fronting up to their first appointments at the HC level.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As good as it could be, it sounds like he wants nothing to do with rugby at the moment so highly unlikely.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings:
Andrew Robinson
Angus Wagner
Ben Hyne
Darcy Swain
Dean Oakman-Hunt
Ernest Suavai
Fred Dorrough
Jordan Jackson-Hope
Michael Oakman-Hunt
Ryan Longergan
Sione Taula
Sam Thomas
Len Ikitau

Royals:
Andrew Muirhead
Ben Johston
Pedro Rolando
Sione Faalelei
Tom Cusack
George Morseau

Wests:
Brodie Leber
TP Luteru
Rob Valentini
Angus Allen
Harry Lloyd
Liam Rasch

Queanbeyan:
Josh White
Les Makin
Liam Mosely

Uni-Norths:
Max Bode
Lolo Fakosilea

Easts:
Blake Enever
Robbie Abel

Gungahlin:
Mack Hanson

Unsure:
Falou Faainga - New Signing
Lausi Taliauli
James Daraville
Tom Banks
Wharenui Hawera

Just saw the Canberra Vikings squad - very interesting picks - just going to leave it at that. . . .

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vikings:
Andrew Robinson - Wing or No 13.
Angus Wagner - TH Prop
Ben Hyne - No 6 or No 8 (sometime lock)
Darcy Swain - Lock (will be a star)
Dean Oakman-Hunt - No 6
Ernest Suavai - No 15
Fred Dorrough - No 10
Jordan Jackson-Hope - No 12
Michael Oakman-Hunt - Lock
Ryan Longergan - No 9
Sione Taula - LH Prop
Sam Thomas
Len Ikitau - 13/Wing

Royals:
Andrew Muirhead - Wing or No 15
Ben Johston - Wing or No 15
Pedro Rolando - No 9
Sione Faalelei - LH Prop (will be a star)
Tom Cusack - No 6
George Morseau - Wing

Wests:
Brodie Leber - Outside back
TP Luteru - Hooker
Rob Valentini - No 8
Angus Allen - No 7
Harry Lloyd - LH Prop
Liam Rasch - Lock

Queanbeyan:
Josh White
Les Makin - TH Prop
Liam Mosely - No 10

Uni-Norths:
Max Bode - TH Prop
Lolo Fakosilea - No 8

Easts:
Blake Enever - Lock
Robbie Abel - Hooker

Gungahlin:
Mack Hanson - No 15/10

Unsure:
Falou Faainga - New Signing - Hooker
Lausi Taliauli - Wing
James Dargaville - Outside back
Tom Banks - No 15
Wharenui Hawera - No 10

Just saw the Canberra Vikings squad - very interesting picks - just going to leave it at that. .

Is someone able to sort those players by position?

Not for all of them, but as far as I know I've indicated above.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To answer my own question, the CT today reported Sio, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Carter, Powell, Kuridrani and Speight have all been allocated to the Vikings. I expect Sam and Joe might get some time in the NRC, but not the others.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They should've sent Carter or Arnold elsewhere........

Enever needs to be starting in the NRC.

Edit: forgot that Arnold is unlikely to play in the NRC, so it really doesn't matter.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Kaino joint Macdougall medal winner last night, best No.8 in the comp all year, doesn't get picked for the Canberra Vikings - but they pick the OH Twins who have only played here and there all season. . .yea that makes sense. . .

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Vikings to wear the Kookaburras heritage jersey in the first game.

Still reckon this is one the better logos from back in the day-1990.

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 8.37.01 pm.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kaino joint Macdougall medal winner last night, best No.8 in the comp all year, doesn't get picked for the Canberra Vikings - but they pick the OH Twins who have only played here and there all season.yea that makes sense.

There have been other top performing club players like Penca and OJ Noa who when given the opportunity were shown up not to be good enough for NRC......... maybe the selectors don't think that highly of Kaino? Who knows?

The Oakman Hunt boys have stepped up in the past (they were strong performers when the Vikings made the final), so maybe they want that experience in the squad?

The annual moaning about selections gets a little tiring...........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Slim, I have no skin in this fight as I don't have a connection with or follow any of the JID sides, but when the Vikings have significantly the most players but finished the year below Royals and Wests, then it looks a bit like Tah-itis to an outsider.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, I have no skin in this fight as I don't have a connection with or follow any of the JID sides, but when the Vikings have significantly the most players but finished the year below Royals and Wests, then it looks a bit like Tah-itis to an outsider.

But the same people complained about their numbers when they're going through the JID nearly undefeated and winning the comp in recent years..........

It's possible that they may be over represented by a couple of players this year, but it's hard to argue against the bulk of their selections when they're members of the Brumbies squad, or the U20's etc............. although they'll try.

I couldn't give a toss about where the players come from, but every year it's the same old chippiness.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely it reflects the fact that those who are considered the best players doesn't change substantially based on the results of one season. Likewise when the best team dominates they don't suddenly get their worst players selected above better players in inferior teams.

It's not a ceremonial team to recognise the best performed players during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.