• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canes v Reds at the Cake Tin - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought that we could move on from last week and look ahead to the match this weekend. On current for this should be a win but I don't think the Reds played to well in their last game and the Canes can cause a few headaches if they hit some form. I hope that the long trip home from SA doesn't allow for that and the Reds get the points.

G

GC

If Slipper, Daley, Ioane and Davies are all missing it could be a real problem. There are able replacements, but they are in the same class (except for maybe Holmes/Daley). Should be an open game no matter what.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Canes tight five this year have been less than stellar. Despite the fact that the Reds will be bruised and tired after Saturday, I think Link will plan for a fair bit of close encounter forward work before unleashing the backline this week. And I don't think that there will be much positional kicking this week either as the Canes back three are potentially explosive on the run-back.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Wouldn't be surprised if Weepu is rushed in. If so he could be a symbolic boost for the team. He's down to play in Hurricanes development, but the Canes are desperate.

Heard they have a mathematician coming in to work out the formula to make the playoffs...Simple answer start winning, stop get a person in the bin an average of every two games.

Likely more poeple turn up at the curtain raiser than stick around for the Canes. They pump up the offical crowd number by assuming the corporate boxes are full, the Stadium member and season ticket holders all turn up.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=29973

Daley's almost certainly not going to play, and there's doubt that Digby will either. He went straight to the dressing rooms after the Tahs match, so it won't be taken too lightly. On the other hand, with Davies returning the backline will remain strong. Similair situation in the front row, with Slipper swapping in for Daley.

Obviously there shouldn't be wholesale changes after such a gutsy effort against the Tahs (we don't want to fall into the same trap the Crusaders did), but seeing as the next few weeks will be challenging, maybe this is the best time to rest 2-3 players. I'd like to see Wallace- Harrison or Van the Man starting for somebody, and possibly Hanson for Fainga'a. Also like to see Gill get some considerable game time if possible.

Possible Reds XV:

1. Holmes
2. Hanson
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Wallace- Harrison
7. Robinson
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Harris
13. Fainga'a
14. Davies
15. Lucas

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Same Forward pack as you Swarley but if Ioane is out then I'd like to see.
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Davies
15. Harris.

Res 16.Fainga'a 17.Shepherdson 18.Samo 19.Houston 20.Gill 21.Lucas 22.Toua/ Shipperley

Not that Lucas has done anything wrong I just think Chambers should be given a start, not sure what the latest is on Shatz & Hynes but if they're fit then I'd probably change up my bench.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Can't see the Canes doing much to upset the Reds this week. The seasons form says Reds should win well. Canes coming home from SA, they might find it tough to aim up against a rampaging Reds team.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Will Conrad Smith be back in?

I didn't watch all of the game on the weekend, but Nonu played better than I have seen him play all year. Still expect the Red's to take it either way.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I didn't watch all of the game on the weekend, but Nonu played better than I have seen him play all year. Still expect the Red's to take it either way.

Conrad Smith's injury looked ugly when I saw it. Be surprised if he's back for another month.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Local chooks (media) reckon Nonu out for at least till May 6th. Cruden running again and may play 2nd 5/8 outside Kirkpatrick (cause Kirkpatrick is a slightly worse tackler?). Smith out. Lilo out. Jane out. SOS to Weepu already made by the coach.

Hurricanes offering a 2 for 1 till for the Reds. Next they will be paying people to attend. This is what happens when you take season membership from a waiting list to be a season ticket holder (30,000 plus waiting list), ignore them and play rubbish rugby. This year the remain season ticket holders drop from 6000 to 4000. They then announced the excuse that season ticket holders are dropping is people are staying home and have big screen TVs, the day before the NZRU annouce 2011 viewing figures have dropped by 50%. Maybe the terrible results year after year have more to do with it...

T

TOCC

Hurricanes are currently a enigma, i still tip them to come home strongly in the second half of the season, similarly to the Bulls.

Lets just hope that trend doesnt start this weekend!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Maybe they'd be better having Weepu play 12 or 10. Cruden defending at 12 doesn't sound like a great idea.

D

Dunnman

He showed flashes of what he is capable of, but still the brainless illdiscipline.... He gave away 5 penalties. Completely unacceptable and makes him a liability to the team.

Conrad is back in a couple of weeks.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
The ladder-leading Reds will be tested on Saturday night in Wellington after putting a line through backs Rod Davies (knee) and Digby Ioane (facial fracture) as well as props James Slipper (collarbone) and Ben Daley (nose).

Davies has undergone surgery for knee ligament damage and will be out for eight weeks but the remainder are expected to be considered again after the Hurricanes showdown.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...-out-with-injury/story-e6frf4qu-1226045043767

from a link interview so i suppose it's confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.