• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Carter to turn out for club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
"Graham Henry holds little hope of Dan Carter playing in the Tri-Nations.

Instead it is likely to be Ellesmere club Southbridge and Canterbury providing he re-signs with the province that will reap the benefits of the star first five-eighth making his comeback from the ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered while playing for French club Perpignan"...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/2487003/Carter-back-to-club-rugby

Just to give some insight, since this is an aussie blog. Southbridge is the club Carter grew up in as a kid. It's not even in the Christchurch comp, it is in the Ellesmere Comp linked with Mid Canterbury. Effectively this is like Matt Giteau turning out for a Dubbo Rhinos,.. though they're not even that really. Maybe more like Temora or Grenfell if you have a feel for country rugby.

a) What a risk..
b) What a refreshing sight, to see the stars sent back to where it all began.
c) That would never happen in Aus. For one, all our players of any talent get filtered to Sydney/Bris and the spattering in Canby. The force struggled to get their players to commit to Perth rugby.

Is it the players, the players union or the states that screw everything up for subbies?

Trivia.
Dan's dad, Neville Carter still mans the bar after every Southbridge home game, where they put on the complimentary big feed and sell beanies and ties and serve nothing but CD (Canterbury Draught). .. In some places they still keep it real.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good story Eddo and I agree that its refreshing to see. There is no more risk playing for his club side than training for the ABs though I reckon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saw on Rugby Wrap (halftime rugby news during Shute Shield) that Drew "Not the hair" Mitchell will be joining 3rd Division Subbies club Balmain here in Sydney on the recommendation of some mates. He'll be doing some coaching with their Colts - when he gets time, I assume.

Makes a nice change from someone just walking into one of the Premier clubs.

They aren't half flogging it tho ;)

http://www.balmainrugby.com.au/

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
NTA said:
Saw on Rugby Wrap (halftime rugby news during Shute Shield) that Drew "Not the hair" Mitchell will be joining 3rd Division Subbies club Balmain here in Sydney on the recommendation of some mates. He'll be doing some coaching with their Colts - when he gets time, I assume.

http://www.balmainrugby.com.au/

Didn't he turn out for Randwick recently?

and you're right - they're giving it the full blast.
I have a mate on the team,.. I'm off to get the low down. See what they really think on the inside.

I'll give him the benefit first up though and say .. Good shit.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I won't give him the benefit. The reason will be money and money only.

Hope he finds himself out of the wallaby team and having to catch the selectors playing sub districts.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:

Hope he finds himself out of the wallaby team and having to catch the selectors playing sub districts.

Queenslanders are that hating?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
That picture is hilarious - it's at the airport, isn't it?

He's not exactly working behind the bar at Dick's is he?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:
That picture is hilarious - it's at the airport, isn't it?

Who is Dick? Got a surname?

R

Red Beard

Cutter said:
Good story Eddo and I agree that its refreshing to see. There is no more risk playing for his club side than training for the ABs though I reckon.
This scenario is far more common than you would expect in NZ. Keith Robinson got permission from Waikato to come back home to play for my club Te Aroha Cobras in 2006. Te Aroha is rural township (population 3000) with two small clubs. Andrew Hore still sometimes plays for Maniatoto in Central Otago and Anton Oliver used to drive 45 minutes south of Dunedin to play tighthead or openside for the Otago country club Milton.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Red Beard said:
Cutter said:
This scenario is far more common than you would expect in NZ. Keith Robinson got permission from Waikato to come back home to play for my club Te Aroha Cobras in 2006. Te Aroha is rural township (population 3000) with two small clubs. Andrew Hore still sometimes plays for Maniatoto in Central Otago and Anton Oliver used to drive 45 minutes south of Dunedin to play tighthead or openside for the Otago country club Milton.

Yeh, I did consider mentioning that Red.. but on the flip side the NZRU did cut all the All blacks from half a S14 too. A lesson learned i suspect.

I think in the last year or so we have seen another tier of player emerge.
from bottom to top: (feel free to add or suggest changes)
i) The academy kid Matt To'omua.
ii) The Rookie JOC (James O'Connor). Fainifo.
iii) The Mainstay AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Sharpe.
iv) The Old Hat. (requires a level of success not just time on the paddock) Stirls. Whittaker.

and

v) The One. Who everyone, including the governing union, will wrap in teflon tissues to protect and break all the rules to keep. D carter. R Elsom. Gits

All this - just backs up how I think this latest development is a good thing.

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:
Noddy said:

I am, but I suspect Noddy was speaking in jest.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Biffo said:
Noddy said:

I am, but I suspect Noddy was speaking in jest.
nah, I hate Mitchell and everything he stands for.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:
Biffo said:
Scarfman said:
Who is Dick? Got a surname?

Yeah, Hotel. Corner of Mullens and Beattie Streets, Balmains RC's watering hole.

Opposite the Exchange, near that crap hole of a "roundabout" that's anything but. Cheaper drinks than the Exchange, but that's probably because the Exchange was a known hangout for the young actors from Home & Away, a lot of which used to live in Balmain. Not that I'd recognise any - apart from Isabelle Lucas, who I used to see on occasion around Darling Street and boy, she was hot. Too old for ol' NTA, though.

Dick's is one of the few bars with some of the dank and love of yesteryear remaining. Trivia there is pretty average, though. Personally though I think that if you want to head to by far the best bar around that area, head down Evans Street to the Welcome.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
eddo said:
Who everyone, including the governing union, will wrap in teflon tissues to protect and break all the rules to keep. D carter. R Elsom. Gits

Are you suggesting that the ARU or NZRU have broken any rules to keep Carter, Elsom and Giteau? If so, who broke whose rules and how?

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Biffo said:
eddo said:
Who everyone, including the governing union, will wrap in teflon tissues to protect and break all the rules to keep. D carter. R Elsom. Gits

Are you suggesting that the ARU or NZRU have broken any rules to keep Carter, Elsom and Giteau? If so, who broke whose rules and how?

There's no suggestions..
When Rugby went pro a contract was a contract. And the rules were the same rules for everyone. Now Carter and McAlister are having the rules bent for them (broken??) Players are getting handed "compassionate releases" but only if they're so good that we're hoping to get them back one day (rocky.. vickerman)

So yeh, rules are getting broken. But it's the ARU and NZRU's own rules.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
eddo said:
Biffo said:
eddo said:

There's no suggestions..
When Rugby went pro a contract was a contract. And the rules were the same rules for everyone. Now Carter and McAlister are having the rules bent for them (broken??) Players are getting handed "compassionate releases" but only if they're so good that we're hoping to get them back one day (rocky.. vickerman)

So yeh, rules are getting broken. But it's the ARU and NZRU's own rules.

Be specific. Just how did the NZRU break its own rules (and please list the rule) in the cases of Carter and McAlister? Similarly, how did the ARU break its rules (and which rule) in Rocky's case?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Biffo said:
Be specific. Just how did the NZRU break its own rules (and please list the rule) in the cases of Carter and McAlister? Similarly, how did the ARU break its rules (and which rule) in Rocky's case?

The unwritten rule, but oft quoted in media, that players had to play S14 to get selected?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ash said:
Biffo said:

The unwritten rule, but oft quoted in media, that players had to play S14 to get selected?

So, the media make the "rules"?

I suspect that the real - and probably written within the ARU - "rule" is that players must be contracted to (not play with) a S14 team to be eligible for the Wallabies. John O'Neill made that point several times while Rocky was negotiating.

BTW, Rocky was ineligible for the Wallabies throughout 2007 and 2008. He is now fully eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.