• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

UptheGuts33

Frank Row (1)
Looks like May from Cranbrook is out for after seeing him in a boot. Apparently he has torn some of the ligaments in his ankle, could be a season ending injury, the guy seems to be having a tough break. Big loss for Cranbrook.

Pakutoa (inside centre, has been very strong) also out with torn MCL. Tagg who has been strong has also torn ligaments in his ankle. These injuries may mean that Cranbrook will be even less competitive than before and will struggle to compete with other CAS teams who have more depth.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the forthcoming match of this round ... would have to be Barker v Joeys at Hornsby

Barker is coming off a cricket score against Shore , and a run of convincing wins

whereas Joeys are coming off a shock loss to Trinity ... robbed? ! and Joeys seldom has back to back losses

so I suspect Joeys will be throwing everything at the Red machine

it will give a good indicator as to how good Barker is ... and whether Joeys has any hope of knocking off $cots later in the 2018

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the forthcoming match of this round . would have to be Barker v Joeys at Hornsby

Barker is coming off a cricket score against Shore , and a run of convincing wins

whereas Joeys are coming off a shock loss to Trinity . robbed? ! and Joeys seldom has back to back losses

so I suspect Joeys will be throwing everything at the Red machine

it will give a good indicator as to how good Barker is . and whether Joeys has any hope of knocking off $cots later in the 2018

Robbed!! your kidding

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Watching the tape there paints a closer story than the score line (and some posters on this thread) suggests.

1. Waverley bomb 3 tries in this video- not sure if there are others they bomb. I know props can’t pass- but hopefully they practice it at least! (Scots bomb one as well!)
2. Scots has the rub of the ref - two clear penalties the wrong way (the steal from the Waverley centre10:40, and the one given to Scots at the 22:40 mark) and a knock on that lead to tries. Also lineout throws, Scots clearly lucky not to be pinned there(13:09 among others).
3. Waverley playing with half the reserve bench on by the looks of it? No Molloy and Murphy gone in the opening minutes in this vid. Moretti also looks like an early Knock? Explains the ‘quiet game’(still one of the best out there)
4. Waverley let in 3 easy tries- all from one on one missed tackles. Needs work, or change of players. (looks like one was from Murphy and he is carrying his shoulder? Do we have an injury update for him?)
5. Waverley scrum was getting destroyed- but looks like there were subs? Where was McGuiggan?
6. The driving maul should be illegal! Such a stain on rugby. Scots used it well though.
7. Stop kicking the ball away.
8. Depth looking to be an issue this year.
9. Scots won’t be beaten this year, their disciplined defense is incredible. A notch above any defensive teams I’ve seen before. Teams will need a lot of patience and to hold the ball to be a chance.

Waverley might be better for the harder games than the blow outs of Barker. With Trinity improving, I feel it’s a four horse race instead of the usual 2. Trinity, Barker, Aloysius and Waverley all potential title holders come the end of the season.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Watching the tape there paints a closer story than the score line (and some posters on this thread) suggests.

1. Waverley bomb 3 tries in this video- not sure if there are others they bomb. I know props can’t pass- but hopefully they practice it at least! (Scots bomb one as well!)
2. Scots has the rub of the ref - two clear penalties the wrong way (the steal from the Waverley centre, and the one given to Scots at the 22:40 mark) and a knock on that lead to tries. Also lineout throws, Scots clearly lucky not to be pinned there.
3. Waverley playing with half the reserve bench on by the looks of it? No Molloy and Murphy gone in the opening minutes in this vid. Moretti also looks like an early Knock? Explains the ‘quiet game’(still one of the best out there)
4. Waverley let in 3 easy tries- all from one on one missed tackles. Needs work, or change of players. (looks like one was from Murphy and he is carrying his shoulder? Do we have an injury update for him?)
5. Waverley scrum was getting destroyed- but looks like there were subs? Where was McGuiggan?
6. The driving maul should be illegal! Such a stain on rugby. Scots used it well though.
7. Stop kicking the ball away.
8. Depth looking to be an issue this year.
9. Scots won’t be beaten this year, their disciplined defense is incredible. A notch above any defensive teams I’ve seen before. Teams will need a lot of patience and to hold the ball to be a chance.

Waverley might be better for the harder games than the blow outs of Barker. With Trinity improving, I feel it’s a four horse race
instead of the usual 2. Trinity, Barker, Aloysius and Waverley all potential title holders come the end of the season.

W88,

As I have said before, Scots deserved to win on the day.
All the things you stated above did happen, the video is very clear.
The hard bit is when you are playing a top quality side and a number of calls early in the game are poor, they can and did change field position which led to several tries.
The Waves did blow several tries, but that was their fault.

All the key forwards you mentioned had unfortunate knocks etc, but that's footy, you don't get those in soccer.

The 1st half was tight despite the try push over right on half time.

Barring bad injuries, this hard game will put the Waves in a good spot later, because other than Barker, I can't see it getting any tougher.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
W88,

As I have said before, Scots deserved to win on the day.
All the things you stated above did happen, the video is very clear.
The hard bit is when you are playing a top quality side and a number of calls early in the game are poor, they can and did change field position which led to several tries.
The Waves did blow several tries, but that was their fault.

All the key forwards you mentioned had unfortunate knocks etc, but that's footy, you don't get those in soccer.

The 1st half was tight despite the try push over right on half time.

Barring bad injuries, this hard game will put the Waves in a good spot later, because other than Barker, I can't see it getting any tougher.

The one observation I would add WLF is that Scots played the game at a pace that unsettled Waverley.
They moved the large Waverley pack around the pitch at a pace they weren't used to.
Quick recycling of the ball through the pod system makes it a fast and furious game.
Waverley lacked a bit of match fitness and suffered in the scrums as a result.
Lost several against the head and were constantly back peddling.
The pace of the game and ferocity of Scots defensive simply took Moretti out of the game.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
Some highlights from the Scots V Waverley 1stXV game>

Waverly could consider themselves lucky the ref didn't spot the incident that ended the Scots #4 (blue head gear) afternoon. Cue video to around 17m20sec. Occurs after Scots 4 has made the tackle and is trying to get up off the ground. He can be seen moments later flat on his back.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
absolutely clinical

is that referee ... Coxie ... used to play for Parramatta ?!

tell you what lovely bloke ... but not his best game ... missed a number of clear knock-ons , not straight line out throws, etc etc

should have had the 2nds ref ... Dickinson? anyway what do I know

anyways .... Scots absolutely won every facet of play ... number 8 is a dead ringer for a young Tim Gavin

I have been banging on about Waverley's crap scrummaging for years

pause at 1.32 minutes in... and I rest my case

any properly trained front row should not be so easily lifted/popped ... whatever you want to call it

anyways Barker will love this video ... as they have the pack to do exactly the same

anyway early days ... and barring any bad injuries .... they will be better for the schooling

I take it back Moretti ....didn't have a quiet game ... he was as usual ... Waverley's best, followed closely by 22 and Andrews (10)

and as for $cots I still can't award points ... 9, 10, 12, 13,15 ... 8, 5 ... the front row ... and even the bench .... who I don't believe played earlier ... were certainly sizeable

I want to see the Stannies tape ... they must have one hell of a forward pack ... to have come so close.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Waverly could consider themselves lucky the ref didn't spot the incident that ended the Scots #4 (blue head gear) afternoon. Cue video to around 17m20sec. Occurs after he has made the tackle and is trying to get up off the ground. He can be seen moments later flat on his back.

Nice cleanout. Heavy contact. I hope the young man recovers from it quickly.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
absolutely clinical

is that referee . Coxie . used to play for Parramatta ?!

tell you what lovely bloke . but not his best game . missed a number of clear knock-ons , not straight line out throws, etc etc

should have had the 2nds ref . Dickinson? anyway what do I know

anyways .. Scots absolutely won every facet of play . number 8 is a dead ringer for a young Tim Gavin

I have been banging on about Waverley's crap scrummaging for years

pause at 1.32 minutes in. and I rest my case

any properly trained front row should not be so easily lifted/popped . whatever you want to call it

anyways Barker will love this video . as they have the pack to do exactly the same

anyway early days . and barring any bad injuries .. they will be better for the schooling

I take it back Moretti ..didn't have a quiet game . he was as usual . Waverley's best, followed closely by 22 and Andrews (10)

and as for $cots I still can't award points . 9, 10, 12, 13,15 . 8, 5 . the front row . and even the bench .. who I don't believe played earlier . were certainly sizeable

I want to see the Stannies tape . they must have one hell of a forward pack . to have come so close.

Stannies are a good side SonnyDill.
Their forwards didn't give an inch, it was a bruising encounter.
They played with real passion and pride.
Particularly impressive was Stannies big second rower who charged hard at Scots all day.
Scots just had the edge on fitness and creativity which secured them the win.
It was the first game of the season though so Scots were a little less polished but Stannies will be hard to beat in the ISA competition.
Scots play St Augustines this Saturday.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I carried on about Stannies when I saw them play Barker. They are a quality team. In the 20 minutes I saw they dominated in the forwards. Their number 4 is a refrigerator on wheels. They lost the match probably as a combination of the heat and a lack of match fitness coupled with the fact that Barker do not ramp up until the last 20 minutes. I dont think Auggies will match them based on the scores I have seen Auggies deliver so far. They can only improve with more games and match fitness

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
The one observation I would add WLF is that Scots played the game at a pace that unsettled Waverley.
They moved the large Waverley pack around the pitch at a pace they weren't used to.
Quick recycling of the ball through the pod system makes it a fast and furious game.
Waverley lacked a bit of match fitness and suffered in the scrums as a result.
Lost several against the head and were constantly back peddling.
The pace of the game and ferocity of Scots defensive simply took Moretti out of the game.

Yep Wristy, The speed of the Scots tempo is a clincher, extremely impressive.
Not sure fitness was the problem, the waves have trained very hard, like others, since last year, the injury list hurt.

Whilst others have said he had a good game, he did get an early knock, and he always tries his best, but it wasn't a better game for him/Moretti, that's footy. His opposition did have something to say about that, but he will surface again.
The point someone made about a back row of Harris, Reimer and Moretti for NSW 1 is a scary one.

Status
Not open for further replies.