• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Well after demolishing Joeys and Kings , I don't think anyone needs to question Barker's 2018 title hopes

so only question is whether View will be more road-kill

or if last weeks drubbing of Knox is a sign that View might put up a battle, and are turning their season around?!

can anyone tell me if View's backs are back to full strength? Easy? Bell?

As if they are I might consider a trip to Waitara . otherwise will assume it is a foregone conclusion
A post like that was always going to get a reaction. Well done SBW.

Barker should win, but an upset is possible.

View have been travelling quite well, except for Kings game.

Last 4 games:

View 33 - 27 Waves
Kings 32 - 7 View
View 38 - 17 Kinross
View 48 - 7 Knox

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Riche_e in reply to your comment on another thread about Trinity being happy to fly under the radar....
It’s starting to feel like Trinity are last year’s Barker. So they are dangerous. Aloys also a good team this year and under radar. The surprise order may well be:
1. Barker (if they stay focused each game they should win against anyone)
2. Trinity
3. Aloys
4. Waverley
5. Knox
6. Cranbrook.

3 wins could secure 2nd place with for and against playing a role. It’s going to be fascinating!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Riche_e in reply to your comment on another thread about Trinity being happy to fly under the radar..
It’s starting to feel like Trinity are last year’s Barker. So they are dangerous. Aloys also a good team this year and under radar. The surprise order may well be:
2. Trinity
3. Aloys
4. Waverley
5. Knox
6. Cranbrook.

3 wins could secure 2nd place with for and against playing a role. It’s going to be fascinating!

Yep, sounds good to me.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Does the ol’ For & Against ‘work’ in “The Plume”?

Doesn’t in the Schools Challenge (GPS). There’s just ‘ties’, ‘joints’ and ‘shareds’

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)

Doesn’t in the Schools Challenge (GPS). There’s just ‘ties’, ‘joints’ and ‘shareds’

Good question...the answer is above my pay grade I am afraid. First place are definitely “shared”s.I can just see a logjam though as 4 of the teams could realistically feel like they can beat anyone in the comp, and knox are bound to win at least 2 games out of 5. Sorry I just think Cranbrook will not win a comp game this year. That just means the table will be volatile and produce a ladder that sounds unthinkable to us at the moment.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Hi CJ,

Just woke up after the royal wedding, sooo goood!

No I don't believe for and against sways the trophy, nor should it IMO.
It's the same treatment as the Geeps system.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Good question.the answer is above my pay grade I am afraid. First place are definitely “shared”s.I can just see a logjam though as 4 of the teams could realistically feel like they can beat anyone in the comp, and knox are bound to win at least 2 games out of 5. Sorry I just think Cranbrook will not win a comp game this year. That just means the table will be volatile and produce a ladder that sounds unthinkable to us at the moment.

Not sure if you will be close but time will tell.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^
In just a 5 match championship Season, NED, all volatility aside, it shouldn’t be too hard to keep up with! ;)

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
^^^^
In just a 5 match championship Season, NED, all volatility aside, it shouldn’t be too hard to keep up with! ;)

Good call. Fourth can in to a six pack of the new Coopers Sessions Ale (they are very good) I am losing my perspective and just inadvertently upset WLF! For the record WLF, I know Waverley are very good and deserve to be highly rated. Having seen the current opens players develop over time I know how closely matched those teams are.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Good call. Fourth can in to a six pack of the new Coopers Sessions Ale (they are very good) I am losing my perspective and just inadvertently upset WLF! For the record WLF, I know Waverley are very good and deserve to be highly rated. Having seen the current opens players develop over time I know how closely matched those teams are.

Relax noeye.... I am certainly not upset,it's all good, glad to hear from someone relatively new, keep it up.
This kind of banter is what this site is all about.

We all have our opinions. I do think that Trinity may push hard but after watching, and hearing about,Barker and Waverley, I believe the CAS will boil down to Aug 4 at Death Valley.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Relax noeye.. I am certainly not upset,it's all good, glad to hear from someone relatively new, keep it up.
This kind of banter is what this site is all about.

We all have our opinions. I do think that Trinity may push hard but after watching, and hearing about,Barker and Waverley, I believe the CAS will boil down to Aug 4 at Death Valley.

I am utterly perplexed at the Knox results so far...can they get their act together for the comp season?

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Riche_e in reply to your comment on another thread about Trinity being happy to fly under the radar..
2. Trinity
3. Aloys
4. Waverley
5. Knox
6. Cranbrook.

IMO, Barker, Aloys, and Waverley are the only three teams that could possibly win in 2018. Trinity's draw is not good with only two home games, and I'm not sure their year 10 boys will be as effective in an inhospitable away ground environment. Barker is way out in front in terms of favouritism, but the DV game will be an extreme challenge, particularly given it will be the first time Waverley will be at home - after this coming Saturday. The whole school will be there cheering for the locals. The Aloys/Waverley game in round two will also be pivotal.

Knox and Cranbrook both have three home games, but being heavily loaded with year 11 boys, I believe it will take them a few games to understand what first XV rugby is all about. So maybe next year.

Should these three teams (B, A and W) win their respective home games against each other, there is a strong possibility of a three way joint premiership.

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Haha I like it you are thinking the right way, but I also think boaters are unfortunate

Funny Bastard, like your cryptic leads, wore a boater myself in year 7 at Waverley .The fun trick was to throw them under the forthcoming buses, until our parents had to keep re-purchasing at reasonable expense.
After 70 years of school tradition they were abolished. Good thing as they served no real purpose.

Sounds like your a Trinity man, and thus you rightfully think the CAS comp will be very close.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am utterly perplexed at the Knox results so far.can they get their act together for the comp season?

Apart from being a young team, my understanding is that Knox is struggling around the fly half position. No team can win at this level without a creative, intuitive and dominant 10.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
IMO, Barker, Aloys, and Waverley are the only three teams that could possibly win in 2018. Trinity's draw is not good with only two home games, and I'm not sure their year 10 boys will be as effective in an inhospitable away ground environment. Barker is way out in front in terms of favouritism, but the DV game will be an extreme challenge, particularly given it will be the first time Waverley will be at home - after this coming Saturday. The whole school will be there cheering for the locals. The Aloys/Waverley game in round two will also be pivotal.

Knox and Cranbrook both have three home games, but being heavily loaded with year 11 boys, I believe it will take them a few games to understand what first XV rugby is all about. So maybe next year.

Should these three teams (B, A and W) win their respective home games against each other, there is a strong possibility of a three way joint premiership.

Carl,

Think you are right on the money, Barker definitely and Trinity a slight maybe, then daylight second.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Can we send out a search party for Father Jim of the 3rds?

We are a mere 62 hours (or thereabouts) from kick-off of the 2018 Hon. Jim Belshaw Plate/Cup, and we are all travelling ‘blind’ here without the benefit of Jim’s entomological xls. analysis of all the 3’s Season’s prospects!

As Lleyton might say, Jim, “C’mon!!” :)

As CJ knows, I have now posted my preview on the GPS site. However, thought that I would post here as well given CJ's post. One of my difficulties this year with the broader pre-season trials is lack of CAS knowledge especially below the firsts, making it difficult to judge some results.

GPS Thirds Preview

Saturday sees the opening of the GPS Thirds competition, won last year by Joey’s thus opening a lead over TAS in the premiership total. It’s shaping as an interesting contest with a number of unknowns.

The leading contender
Like last year, St Joseph’s has to be classified as the team to beat because of their solid pre-season results. Still, the results are not as good as they were last year when it looked like and in the end was a laid down misere. Note the close score in the Scots match.
W 26-7 Riverview Thirds
W 24-21 Scots Thirds
L 24-14 St Aloysius Firsts
W 24-14 St Pats Firsts
W 33-22 Oakhill Firsts

The main challengers
With a solid pre-season, Scots has to be classified as first challenger. They only just lost to Joey’s, while the 19-5 victory over High is a solid result for reasons that I will discuss in a moment.
L 24-21 Joey’s Thirds
W 33-5 Newington Thirds
W 44-12 St Pius Firsts
W 19-5 High Firsts

High are something of a mystery school this year, lurking below the radar. I have not seen a single match report! However, based on limited match results and for the first time in several years, High has to be classified as a contender if behind Scots. They had a solid win against St Pius Firsts and had a creditable result against Scots.
W 41-17 St Pius Firsts
L 19-5 Scots Firsts

TAS also belong in this group, although they only won one match against Grammar. TAS had a pretty solid work-out, more so than usual, in terms of games and level playing against two ISA and one CAS first teams as well as Grammar.
Like High and Grammar, TAS sometimes has a problem with depth because of a smaller number of boys. This year there seems to be a considerable gap between First and Seconds, while the Thirds have only played one game.

The school generally has some good backs, with the team’s final performance depending on the ability of the forwards to hold against often bigger packs.
L 41-10 Kinross Firsts
W 24- 6 Grammar Firsts
L 46-14 Cranbrook Firsts
L 39-24 St Gregs Firsts

I wasn’t sure whether or not to include Grammar in this top group because they have had such a torrid pre-season, including the solid loss to TAS. I have included them for two reasons. First, the results against TAS below the Firsts suggest that Grammar has more depth than TAS to draw from. Secondly, they played against two ISA firsts, two CAS firsts. There were solid losses, but I suspect the team has learned.
L 43-3 St Pats Firsts
L 41-10 St Aloysius Firsts
L 24-6 TAS Firsts
L 50-5 St Gregs Firsts
L 46-11 Cranbrook Firsts

The remaining schools
One difficulty with the remaining three schools is that I have no way of judging results against CAS thirds, while I also have results gaps.

I have two results for View. I have placed them in the bottom group because of the size of the loss against Joey’s.
W 48-0 Knox Thirds
L 26-7 Joeys Thirds

I have only one result for Kings Thirds, a 50 point win over Barker Thirds.

I do have four results for Shore Thirds. Here I am placing greatest weight on Shore’s 33-12 loss to Joey’s Fourths.
W 17-5 Knox Thirds
L 33-12 Joey’s Fourths
W 69-0 Trinity Thirds
W 46-0 Barker Thirds

Based on the limited results that we have, I think that Kings and Shore are likely to be the weakest teams in the competition.

The first round
This Saturday first round will greatly clarify matters. The games are: S v A, E v I, H v K, G v J. It’s always very difficult making predictions, my tipping record is not good, but sticking my neck out.

The Scots v TAS match is critical for both sides. If Scots wins, it will consolidate its position as the lead challenger to Joey’s, while TAS needs to win to stay in the hunt for the premiership. Sentiment says TAS, but results to date suggest Scots.

The Shore v View match will give us a feel for ranking amog the teams I haveked in the bottom three. View to win comfortably.

The Kings v High match will give us a chance to assess High’s real strength. High to win comfortably.

The Grammar v Joey’s match is another critical one. If Grammar were to win, it would throw the whole competition wide open. Grammar is a little unlucky to strike Joey’s first because it gives the Grammar boys their toughest match straight after a tough pre-season. Joey’s to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.