• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Newington is running riot now. 7 tries to 1.

Between their wrecking ball prop and their twinkle toes 13 and 14, Trinity doesn’t really have an answer.

Edit: 8 tries now. Created by twinkle toes 12.

Hello again Piglet, Is twinkle toes a large Pacific Islander lad.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook over Aloysius 20-19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very ordinary game by both teams
Cranbrook obviously wanted it more though.
Aloys looked all game like they were just waiting for Cranbrook to give up and let tries in but to their credit the Brook defence never gave up and subsequently panic set into the Aloys attack with lots of potential tries bombed in the last few minutes due to some rushed decisions.
Very controversial refereeing on both teams side however.

Lots of work for both teams to do before round 1

Jason_phillips_Knox

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook 20, Aloys 19

Great game from both sides, first half was ordinary from both sides but the second half was a great half to watch. Westbury was average today, obviously could do better. Pollock service was excellent as always and they are shaping up to play some great footy come round 1. Other good performances from the 2 (Finn splading), 12 (Spencer Spalding).

Cranbrook defense was excellent, never giving up. Think it’s safe to say Brook aren’t as bad as everyone makes them out to be coming 5/5. Great defense by the vicars at 12. Smith was good, giving great service all day. Other good performances from the the 10 (Tim white), 15 (Oliver Lamens), 5 (Harvey Tilley)

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
An interesting game at Knox today, that goes in part to answering an earlier question about being perplexed as to what is happening with the Knox team this year.

For starters, the forward pack is very solid. No stars like previous years, or indeed Barker and Waverley this year, but good discipline and strength. Their scrum has surprised many, and they remain strong in lineouts with Williams and Yates good in the air. The pack is also defensively strong, so no real issues on that front, although it's still not entirely settled with players like Grobbler (who was a standout in the 1s last week but strangely back in the 2s this week) and Pan (who played 2s this week after being in the 1s all season) very much knocking on the door.

The backs however are a different story. There are two excellent players: Rechner and Leigh. Glassie is a very strong player but I worry about that knee of his as it's led to early departures from the field quite often. The halves are okay, not outstanding and not always making the right decisions but solid nonetheless. I'm not naming names but there are some in the backline mix who've been stars all the way through the age groups but are simply not cutting it these days in terms of effort. There were a couple of tries today out wide to Joeys where there was turnstile defense. It's just not good enough. Every now and then the backs look magic in attack with great hands and anticipation, but for every try they score they'll let in two.

The mass of injuries today will be a concern for the coach, and I'm intrigued to see what sort of side he'll put on the park for round one of the CAS comp. At their best they'll be a handful for all - maybe even Barker and Waverley - but their best hasn't shown itself for long periods, and indeed they seem to struggle in the second halves... fitness? At their worst it could be embarrassing...

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Waverley 41-10 over Shore. Not sure what it was like elsewhere but for long periods it seemed like Death Valley was an absolutely appropriate description of the QP venue as it was very, very dark, very windy and very, very cold (the 2nds went to Waverley 3-0- and the 3rds to Shore 5-0 so it wasn't the best conditions for running rugby). As a result it was hard to pass and hard to kick with confidence (only 3 conversions from 9 tries with no shots at penalty goal was testament to the conditions) but both teams attempted to do so in order to make the best use of the last trial for CAS teams, and possibly to give the smallish but hardy crowd something to cheer about.

Waverley re-jigged their backline which was a good move I thought as it seemed to click better than in past weeks. As has been noted previously his year's team was never going to be last year's but today's combination showed that perhaps the fall will not be as great as feared. People will score tires against Waverley, but they have attacking options across the park and will score against other teams.

For Shore, they lack options and size rather than heart. They will toil manfully but seemed to lack playmakers and people who could bust tackles. On any of the lst few weeks, Waverley's high-tempo offload game would possibly have run up a cricket score but the conditions made it difficult today. I think it will be a long GPS season for Shore. They have a lot of heart and a noisy support base but are below par in too many other areas.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Interesting results today, CAS comp is looking very healthy this year which is good for rugby as a whole. I think Aloys and Cranbrook will be very competitive based on their pre season results, especially if they play teams at home.

The CAS selections will be important this year, I wonder if it’s time to create a blue and white team (or CAS 3rds and 4ths) as GPS do to ensure more players have the chance of being selected for higher honours?

We used to have a CAS 3rds team, it might be a worthwhile consideration if the competition continues to grow in strength.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting results today, CAS comp is looking very healthy this year which is good for rugby as a whole. I think Aloys and Cranbrook will be very competitive based on their pre season results, especially if they play teams at home.

The CAS selections will be important this year, I wonder if it’s time to create a blue and white team (or CAS 3rds and 4ths) as GPS do to ensure more players have the chance of being selected for higher honours?

We used to have a CAS 3rds team, it might be a worthwhile consideration if the competition continues to grow in strength.

W88,

I disagree, from recent results, it is not looking healthy, honesty corner would suggest there are 2 teams who are well and truly above the other 4 teams. Wouldn't be surprised if the top 2 teams put 50+ on the other 4 teams.
However, the combined CAS team should be very strong.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think the improved results from CAS schools against GPS schools over the year groups is a direct result of this new 'mixed trial' concept. I k now from a Waverley perspective that the more you play these schools the less 'strange' it becomes and the results appear to reflect this normalcy even over the last few years. That having been said I'm still of the opinion that the depth across the GPS is better than the CAS in general, which also holds for the CAS/ISA divide. On this basis alone I would argue that CAS/GPS 1st & 2nds is appropriate. The other argument is that GPS Blue/White teams concept is a bit of an 'every child gets a present' idea that doesn't serve much of a useful purpose. The gap b/w CAS & GPS at the top level has closed significantly so the idea that CAS should pick 2 rep teams and GPS 4 seems to have passed it use by date. Rather than CAS mirroring GPS, I would argue that GPS should rationalise their rep announcements.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brumbiejack, Very well put

Today was not the best day for Waverley's preferred game ... but I think they have NOW got their ideal starting line-up

yes it robs the 16As of their star back ... but it will give Waverley their best ... fighting chance against Barker

ultimately Waverley and Barker are on a Collision course ... and strange that one of the Barker kids is called Collision

what a great name for a front-rower

anyway it has been a solid pre-season ... for all the CAS schools... and Waverley doesn't want to take anyone lightly

and I think it is great that Cranbrook is undefeated, Trinity has knocked over Joeys and Aloys has shown signs that the definitely don't want to be under-estimated

plus Knox may let rise to the occasion

as for the idea of CAS returning to having 3 rep teams ... I have to disagree ... every child gets a present ... no way ... I think the GPS have lost the plot ... devalued a rep jersey IMHO

and hopefully the mid season Rep period (NSW schools tournament) doesn't change the dynamics of the CAS comp

as invariably those games take a heavy toll on the big name players .... and personally I want to see everyone full strength

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Hello Piglet, do you have 3rds and 2nds results for the Newington? Trinity games. Also 13As would also be appreciated. Many thanks if you can.

Regards Black & White
PS,That Prop you described, might be Angus Bell, 2017, Australian Schoolboy rep. But I read On this site he might not be playing.

Hi B&W,

I got to the ground just as the teams ran on.. Other parental sporting duties came first... The score board had 12 visitors to 3 so I guess that was the score from the Seconds. Sorry, I have no idea about the other games.

--------------------------------------------------

Half time was 26 to 7 (4 tries to 1)
Full time was 58 to 7 (10 tries to 1)

Trinity started by adopting the Cheika game of trying to run out of their 22 using their forwards in the early exchanges. It appeared that they were trying to muscle up to the bigger Newington forwards. This tactic of bashing the ball up resulted in dropped ball and Newington got their first try.

The second and third tries were from soft turnovers when Trinity had attacking set pieces, one from a lost line out and the other from a tighthead. The fourth try was from the Newington 1 on a rampaging run knocking fresh faced boys over like a bowling ball on its way to a striiiike!

I managed to find a game day program and the no. 1 was listed as Tu'uta Atiola. This was definitely a case of a switch of babies at Vaiola Hospital, Nuku'alofa as the strapping lad with the number 1 looked like he didn't know what taro or kava is. But legs the size of coconut trees he had. Thanks to B&W's message, I skimmed down the program and spotted an Angus Bell at 3.

Newington played smart, kicking for position and letting the wind do its work in the first half. Their defence work was top rate. Trinity's forwards tried a number of set plays, but none came off. Their hooker and 10 worked hard. 10 made a number of breaking runs which unfortunately came to nought.

In the second half, Trinity decided to let their backs into the game. Obviously someone had passed the same message to the Newington backs as, boy oh boy, they decided to run riot. Flash lightning feet, twinkle toes, I thought I was at the ballet on ice. At one stage of the game, Newington were under sustained pressure on their 5 metre line, kicking into the wind to clear brought no dividends in distance gained. They won a scrum from a dropped ball, spread it through their backs and bang, try down the other end.

In my earlier post at the game, I mentioned 12, 13 and 14 but 11 also had jets on his boots. Jets on the side and jets on the back. To B&W, yes, 14 was a big Pacific Islander... The program says Tom Latu. He was bigger than 3/4 of the Trinity team. It looked like the 10 to 14 for Newington were all Tongans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, back to the backs. They lit up the field, creating space, swerving left and right while all the time running forward at full speed. I had Trinity supporters in front me me shaking their heads. I was shaking my head. It was great rugby to watch.

In the meantime, the swapped baby boy, nay man, Angus Bell continued to wreck havoc... He was the direct cause of injuries to two Trinity boys who tried to act as speed humps. The lack of depth in the Trinity team, which is a perennial problem, will continue as when the reserves all ran on, the average height of the team dropped by at least 30 cm and the average weight dropped by 30 kg. Or something like that.

And the tries kept on coming, and coming, and coming.

Well done Newington. Hard luck Trinity, but you gave your all and the lack of physical size showed.

-----------------------------------

Just as an aside, I noticed the Tongan supporter community sat away from the rest of the Newington supporters. I realise that there are cultural differences but it would have been nice to see them within the Newington supporter group, given their contribution to Newington rugby as a whole.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi B&W,

I got to the ground just as the teams ran on.. Other parental sporting duties came first. The score board had 12 visitors to 3 so I guess that was the score from the Seconds. Sorry, I have no idea about the other games.

Trinity started by adopting the Cheika game of trying to run out of their 22 using their forwards in the early exchanges. It appeared that they were trying to muscle up to the bigger Newington forwards. This tactic of bashing the ball up resulted in dropped ball and Newington got their first try.

The second and third tries were from soft turnovers when Trinity had attacking set pieces, one from a lost line out and the other from a tighthead. The fourth try was from the Newington 1 on a rampaging run knocking fresh faced boys over like a bowling ball on its way to a striiiike!

I managed to find a game day program and the no. 1 was listed as Tu'uta Atiola. This was definitely a case of a switch of babies at Vaiola Hospital, Nuku'alofa as the strapping lad with the number 1 looked like he didn't know what taro or kava is. But legs the size of coconut trees he had. Thanks to B&W's message, I skimmed down the program and spotted an Angus Bell at 3.

Newington played smart, kicking for position and letting the wind do its work in the first half. Their defence work was top rate. Trinity's forwards tried a number of set plays, but none came off. Their hooker and 10 worked hard. 10 made a number of breaking runs which unfortunately came to nought.

In the second half, Trinity decided to let their backs into the game. Obviously someone had passed the same message to the Newington backs as, boy oh boy, they decided to run riot. Flash lightning feet, twinkle toes, I thought I was at the ballet on ice. At one stage of the game, Newington were under sustained pressure on their 5 metre line, kicking into the wind to clear brought no dividends in distance gained. They won a scrum from a dropped ball, spread it through their backs and bang, try down the other end.

In my earlier post at the game, I mentioned 12, 13 and 14 but 11 also had jets on his boots. Jets on the side and jets on the back. To B&W, yes, 14 was a big Pacific Islander. The program says Tom Latu. He was bigger than 3/4 of the Trinity team. It looked like the 10 to 14 for Newington were all Tongans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, back to the backs. They lit up the field, creating space, swerving left and right while all the time running forward at full speed. I had Trinity supporters in front me me shaking their heads. I was shaking my head. It was great rugby to watch.

In the meantime, the swapped baby boy, nay man, Angus Bell continued to wreck havoc. He was the direct cause of injuries to two Trinity boys who tried to act as speed humps. The lack of depth in the Trinity team, which is a perennial problem, will continue as when the reserves all ran on, the average height of the team dropped by at least 30 cm and the average weight dropped by 30 kg. Or something like that.

Well done Newington. Hard luck Trinity, but you gave your all and the lack of physical size showed.

Just as an aside, I noticed the Tongan supporter community sat away from the rest of the Newington supporters. I realise that there are cultural differences but it would have been nice to see them within the Newington supporter group, given their contribution to Newington rugby as a whole.

Excellent work Piglet and I thank you for a most detailed and enjoyable report. I don't think Trinity will be the only team to be on the receiving end of Newington's coming of age. They may not be favourites, but after today they should be a force, in the GPS Rugby Competition. As such any school that takes them lightly will be in for a most unpleasant surprise. Hopefully, this revival of New's fortunes will lead to an exciting 5 way competition.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi B&W,

I got to the ground just as the teams ran on.. Other parental sporting duties came first. The score board had 12 visitors to 3 so I guess that was the score from the Seconds. Sorry, I have no idea about the other games.

In my earlier post at the game, I mentioned 12, 13 and 14 but 11 also had jets on his boots. Jets on the side and jets on the back. To B&W, yes, 14 was a big Pacific Islander. The program says Tom Latu. He was bigger than 3/4 of the Trinity team. It looked like the 10 to 14 for Newington were all Tongans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the meantime, the swapped baby boy, nay man, Angus Bell continued to wreck havoc. He was the direct cause of injuries to two Trinity boys who tried to act as speed humps. The lack of depth in the Trinity team, which is a perennial problem, will continue as when the reserves all ran on, the average height of the team dropped by at least 30 cm and the average weight dropped by 30 kg. Or something like that.

My understanding is that the Tongan community is a very close one and in a school that values a multi-cultural inclusion, it is this closeness that might be evident.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Match programme Knox v Joeys

63e10374614bbda00cb2f0e0eba42bd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.