• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
pollard doesn't do the tough yards, he seems to be a edge runner, dane coles type.

In a 3-pod system your quickest and most skilful ball playing forwards go into the 2 outside channels. Therefore the “tough yards” are left to the slower forwards in the middle 1/3 of the field. Sounds like he is following the game plan and using his speed and skills to good effect

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
In a 3-pod system your quickest and most skilful ball playing forwards go into the 2 outside channels. Therefore the “tough yards” are left to the slower forwards in the middle 1/3 of the field. Sounds like he is following the game plan and using his speed and skills to good effect

exactly my point

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)

By a rough reckoning the U16 side has 2 Waverley, 2 Trinity, 2 Barker, and one Aloys players playing fairly regularly in first XV. I think that translates to both props, a back rower, both wingers and both centres. There’s probably others who have played 1sts here and there as well. Can anyone confirm? It looks like a decent mix, will be interesting to see if they can click for the first game on Saturday without any warm up fixtures.

S

sidelineview

By a rough reckoning the U16 side has 2 Waverley, 2 Trinity, 2 Barker, and one Aloys players playing fairly regularly in first XV. I think that translates to both props, a back rower, both wingers and both centres. There’s probably others who have played 1sts here and there as well. Can anyone confirm? It looks like a decent mix, will be interesting to see if they can click for the first game on Saturday without any warm up fixtures.

It's a big advantage to have players with 1st XV experience competing in the U16s Rep team.
The CAS U16s won the first U16s Rep Carnival in 2014, defeating GPS in the Final, which was a huge upset, and have done pretty well since from memory.
Good luck to them.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)

Barkers Adrain Brown, Hilten Ovendon and Lucas Vass have all had 1st XV game time this year

S

sidelineview

Waverley's U16s Prop Aisea Aholelei and 12 Ronald Volkam have been regular 1st XV players this season.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
re Selections ... a few head-scratchers.

Hard to name names when you see kids that you feel might not be as worthy as others

who are the selectors out of interest?

I can only assume SLV is correct on Tiger Murphy ... as in the dying minutes of the Saturday Aloys game ... there was Murphy coming up with the ball, at the bottom of the last ruck ... absolute champion. If Waverley are to be any chance against Barker, Murphy's shoulder needs some time to recover , as Waverley's fine backrow is needed to cover up the defensive vulnerabilities of certain backs

interesting re Barker playing the 3 pods ... can someone tell me how common pod rugby has become at 1st xV level? As I thought it was just $cots ...and maybe I am out of touch

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
an example of someone I feel could rightly feel hard done by ... is Alex Rice

when he was at Scots I thought sometimes he was a bit prone to getting referees off-side ... and in my view was always too tall to be a prop

however at Waverley he has matured and has a good work rate, and I certainly can think of some barn-storming runs ... one memorable one against Scots ... yet you have some kids (one Cranbrook one ... that I won't single out) that are going by footage weak defenders and lucky to be selected

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
interesting re Barker playing the 3 pods . can someone tell me how common pod rugby has become at 1st xV level? As I thought it was just $cots .and maybe I am out of touch

I would think it’s pretty much the standard structure in most serious 1st XVs now. It’s been around a few years, although they continue to develop new plays and options within that structure.
As a case in point, I remember watching St Augustine’s using a 3-pod structure back in either 2013 or 14 and being impressed at the training and organisation required to reorient 16-18 year olds to pull it off so successfully. The team they were playing were all at sea against it and could not work out why they were being torn to shreds so clinically.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Waverley doesn’t appear to run a 3 pod system and takes their rugby pretty seriously..

I think wide sweeping statements about how some structures are serious and others aren’t isn’t very helpful.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Waverley doesn’t appear to run a 3 pod system and takes their rugby pretty seriously..

I think wide sweeping statements about how some structures are serious and others aren’t isn’t very helpful.

I was actually trying to be helpful and contribute an answer to the question. It’s not meant to offend, and I am pretty astounded it’s been taken that way William. I haven’t watched Waverley so you may well be right, but there wouldn’t be a team who doesn’t play pods, so whether it’s 3 or 2 pods is just a matter of choice for the coaches. I struggle to work out why it’s been such a touchy subject on this thread as well?

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Agree Sonnydill.

As indicated in my previous posts- there are some head scratchers there- especially when you look at numbers from different schools and you can see who the top two teams are going to be! Either those two top teams should have most players in the comp or the selectors were blinded in the process!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was actually trying to be helpful and contribute an answer to the question
Thanks NoIdea ;)

I appreciate your answer ... I would have thought if you are playing against teams who use pods , it would be great to know the strengths and weaknesses ... as personally I am seeing teams like Scots and Barker doing a great job at recycling their possession ... and when well implemented it seems highly effective

so doesn't mean you have to use the same structure ... but sure as hell makes sense to understand it

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks NoIdea ;)

I appreciate your answer . I would have thought if you are playing against teams who use pods , it would be great to know the strengths and weaknesses . as personally I am seeing teams like Scots and Barker doing a great job at recycling their possession . and when well implemented it seems highly effective

so doesn't mean you have to use the same structure . but sure as hell makes sense to understand it

Thanks mate, all good. I will try to watch some Waverley game film over the next few days and see what their structure is and report back. Whatever it is, it’s effective!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
A Red view of the Trinity game on the weekend. Not sure why Josh Nercessian's try was not allowed at the end at 3.30 into the clip.That would have made the score 42/22.
Also of note is the scrum dominance which occurs at 2.51 and 3.10 into the clip.

S

sidelineview

A Red view of the Trinity game on the weekend. Not sure why Josh Nercessian's try was not allowed at the end at 3.30 into the clip.That would have made the score 42/22.
Also of note is the scrum dominance which occurs at 2.51 and 3.10 into the clip.

Barker are firm favourites to win the Comp after Round 2, although Trinity gave them a fright.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker are firm favourites to win the Comp after Round 2, although Trinity gave them a fright.

Trinity are a very good side. Their forwards are very good and Edmed is the class 5/8th in the CAS comp without a doubt. No side can take them lightly.

Barker though are able to find an extra gear and the tight 5 are the equivalent of 7 forwards when they team up. I hope the CAS coaches watch this clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.