• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Sounds like a decent match to watch.

What was the crowd number like?

I've always wondered why these games aren't played on a weekend (school rugby, league commitments, etc, etc) as I'm sure we would have a huge attendance.

I, for one, can never get to the game because of weekday work commitments.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
IMO Bolivia has it about right, along with Rollin Maul over on GPS site with these selections:

Bell - GPS 1
2 Pollard - CAS 1
3 McLennan - GPS 1
4 Dring - CAS 1
5 Williams - GPS 1
6 Harris - GPS 1
7 Reimer - CAS 1
8 Morretti - CAS 1
9 Tejcek - CAS 1
10 Edmed - CAS 1
11 Bryden - CAS 1
12 Minogue - GPS 2
13 Ilias - CAS 1
14 Tricks - GPS 2
15 Connolly - GPS 2

I am really pleased to see Dring get the recognition he deserves from you guys who may not have seen him before. He is super athletic for a big guy, routinely makes breaks with his carries, and just goes all day. He is a good one

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Sounds like a decent match to watch.

What was the crowd number like?

I've always wondered why these games aren't played on a weekend (school rugby, league commitments, etc, etc) as I'm sure we would have a huge attendance.

I, for one, can never get to the game because of weekday work commitments.

VERY POOR, in relation to what could have been.
Many people commented on how unfortunate it was that the younger boys from all these schools couldn't attend, along with many adults. I might add in a final week of school, where typically nothing happens.
Imagine the crowd if everyone could attend, it could be bused in by school for those who wanted to attend.

We all really hope, for the promotion of school rugby, that this time changes.
Apparently each year 1 association ie either GPS or CAS hosts the games.

As it turns out, I think, only Knox has the lights to host a night game, which suits ALL those who can't make a day game.
I would think that most people could care less who hosts these games, more important is the attendance of adults, and the boys who's' heroes are playing.

Maybe 1 day, common sense will prevail.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
ISA have some strong contenders as well and there will be a few tough selection calls this year. Don't forget that there are reserves for NSW I and II and there is the Combined States side which often has a few players selected in Aus Babarians and Schools. I expect the Combined States side to have a number of NSW players this year. Of course being selected in NSW I is a nice honour but I wouldn't be too concerned with the makeup of NSW I or II as it doesn't close any doors to national selection.

S

sidelineview

ISA have some strong contenders as well and there will be a few tough selection calls this year. Don't forget that there are reserves for NSW I and II and there is the Combined States side which often has a few players selected in Aus Babarians and Schools. I expect the Combined States side to have a number of NSW players this year. Of course being selected in NSW I is a nice honour but I wouldn't be too concerned with the makeup of NSW I or II as it doesn't close any doors to national selection.

Its always preferable to be selected in the top State team but then again it can be a blessing in a way for a player to be selected for CS or NSW2 rather than NSW1.
It depends on how the individual teams gel in the lead-up week, the coaching staff, which can determine how that team performs and can affect selections in the Aussie Schoolboy teams.
It can be a bit of a lottery.
Also, as you have mentioned reserves are selected. Squads of 23, so no players need to worry about what squad they've been selected in; they'll all get ample opportunity to impress.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Did Tejcek/Moretti combine well at the back of the scrum?Anyone notice - the combo of Tejcek with Reimer normally works well. Whatabout Reimer at 6?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Did Tejcek/Moretti combine well at the back of the scrum?Anyone notice - the combo of Tejcek with Reimer normally works well. Whatabout Reimer at 6?

Those two combined a treat. CAS were excellent at clearing first phase ball, whether it was from the lineout or the scrum. The Moretti/Tejcek combination lead to a try to Tejcek after Moretti peeled off the back of the scrum sucking in 2 defenders before passing to Tejcek who scored.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought I might sing the praises of CAS 2 players who have not had to much said about them after yesterdays game. Waverly's capt courageous Conor Molloy and Barkers fearless prop Angus Collison. These two lads epitomise how CAS players view this annual clash against the best of the GPS schools. It was their grandfinal and they left everything on the field.

Both of these lads would have been the smallest forwards out there by some margin. Molloy would be 5'11 and maybe weigh in at 85kg, and was up against Scots Robson who had at least 15kg and a significant height advantage over Malloy. But that did not deter this lad. He was everywhere, combining brilliantly with Moretti, Pollard and Reimer who stopped the GPS lads at the tackle, Molloy was on his feet and over the ball, ensuring the GPS lads at best got slow ball which enabled the CAS defensive line to regroup.

This happened all day long. Malloy never ran out of gas and and his tenacity and commitment at the breakdown was a key reason why the CAS backs could strut their stuff. Well done Conor.

To Angus Collison who is 5'10 and maybe 88kg (90 max), he was up against last years Aust schoolboy prop in Angus Bell. Bell is huge, at 6'3 and at least 110kg this matchup at the set piece could have been ugly for CAS. But it wasnt.

CAS won their ball cleanly at the set piece, and this was due to Angus stepping up and doing his job at prop against the best in the business. He was on Bell all day, man on man defence and not once did he miss tackling his opposite number. In the lineouts, well his combination in lifting either Dring or Flaherty to accept the throw from Pollard showed why school combinations do count, and when they are mixed with courage and a fierce determination to not let his team mates down, is the real reason why CAS won this game.

GPS have 9 schools to select their 4 teams from while CAS have 6. Depth is always going to be an advantage the GPS sides have over CAS, and their ability to sub 6 quality players in the 2nd half was nearly enough to win them this game.
From CAS perspective, the lads on the field were the best of the CAS and they had to see the game out. There was no way Conor or Angus were coming off. These two lads are fit and have a big motor. But more importantly they have pride in their schools and a respect for their opponent.

It showed out clearly yesterday.

Well done guys.

S

sidelineview

The CAS coaching staff and support staff deserve credit as well. It's a big deal to defeat GPS in the annual clash but to do it two years in a row is very impressive, especially this year when GPS were clear favourites.

CAS 1st XV
Coaches: Mr S. Coleman. (W); Mr A. Cleverley. (C)
Manager: Mr S. Norcott. (B)
CAS 2nd XV
Coaches: Mr K. Ikeuchi (T); Mr B. Whittaker (B)
Physio: Mrs N Veverka; Mr T. Lombardo
CAS Convenor: Mr Mark Bos

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
For those who weren’t at Hunters Hill yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3daf4d40c3951c5915ce3df801330cb9.jpg

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Possibly also Wilson ISA 5/8th - St Augs AND Jack Winchester AICES hooker (2017 Aust Barbars)

Heaps of goods 5/8s running around this year.

Also in the mix are Campbell Parata (QLD 1 in 2017 from TSS) and Carter Gordon (QLD 2 in 2017 from BBC).

15 will also be hotly contested. Keep an eye on Jangala Bennet (QLD 1 in 2017 from Nudgee) and Brendan Jimimez (ACT 2017) at the Nationals this year.

S

sidelineview

Jangala Bennet.
What a good name for a rugby player. It just needs a hyphon in the surname to make it perfect.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Heaps of goods 5/8s running around this year.

Also in the mix are Campbell Parata (QLD 1 in 2017 from TSS) and Carter Gordon (QLD 2 in 2017 from BBC).

15 will also be hotly contested. Keep an eye on Jangala Bennet (QLD 1 in 2017 from Nudgee) and Brendan Jimimez (ACT 2017) at the Nationals this year.

Jiminez - wasn't he an Aus Barbarian last year?

Dirty Red

Frank Row (1)
I thought I might sing the praises of CAS 2 players who have not had to much said about them after yesterdays game. Waverly's capt courageous Conor Molloy and Barkers fearless prop Angus Collison. These two lads epitomise how CAS players view this annual clash against the best of the GPS schools. It was their grandfinal and they left everything on the field.

Both of these lads would have been the smallest forwards out there by some margin. Molloy would be 5'11 and maybe weigh in at 85kg, and was up against Scots Robson who had at least 15kg and a significant height advantage over Malloy. But that did not deter this lad. He was everywhere, combining brilliantly with Moretti, Pollard and Reimer who stopped the GPS lads at the tackle, Molloy was on his feet and over the ball, ensuring the GPS lads at best got slow ball which enabled the CAS defensive line to regroup.

This happened all day long. Malloy never ran out of gas and and his tenacity and commitment at the breakdown was a key reason why the CAS backs could strut their stuff. Well done Conor.

To Angus Collison who is 5'10 and maybe 88kg (90 max), he was up against last years Aust schoolboy prop in Angus Bell. Bell is huge, at 6'3 and at least 110kg this matchup at the set piece could have been ugly for CAS. But it wasnt.

CAS won their ball cleanly at the set piece, and this was due to Angus stepping up and doing his job at prop against the best in the business. He was on Bell all day, man on man defence and not once did he miss tackling his opposite number. In the lineouts, well his combination in lifting either Dring or Flaherty to accept the throw from Pollard showed why school combinations do count, and when they are mixed with courage and a fierce determination to not let his team mates down, is the real reason why CAS won this game.

GPS have 9 schools to select their 4 teams from while CAS have 6. Depth is always going to be an advantage the GPS sides have over CAS, and their ability to sub 6 quality players in the 2nd half was nearly enough to win them this game.
From CAS perspective, the lads on the field were the best of the CAS and they had to see the game out. There was no way Conor or Angus were coming off. These two lads are fit and have a big motor. But more importantly they have pride in their schools and a respect for their opponent.

It showed out clearly yesterday.

Well done guys.

Very true Rod. As a former GPS student with a son that attends CAS ( divided loyalties), the last few years have been enjoyable watching CAS rugby results continue to grow as it is only the better for rugby. Depth has always been a huge advantage to GPS with both 1's and 2's looking equally skilled and balanced.I did note the size disparity as well when the team walked by but didn't see any disadvantage on the field at all. CAS had a perfect mix of size and speed in the pack which showed in the engine room and the break down. They were shoved a bit at the scrum initially but the set piece got better and better as the game went on. What did amaze me yesterday was the physical strength of Moretti and Reimer in holding ball runners up to force turnovers. It happened on numerous occasions and you could see the lift in the whole team when it happened. I am sure others in the pack were equally responsible but just commenting on what I saw. The lads they were holding up were not small as it looked like a 100kg deadlift. Well done to all players yesterday. !! Pleased to now have seen "that tackle" live twice!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)

To Angus Collison who is 5'10 and maybe 88kg (90 max), he was up against last years Aust schoolboy prop in Angus Bell. Bell is huge, at 6'3 and at least 110kg

love it Rod .. great commentary. One thing to maybe pick you up on ... I thought Scots Robson was a short nuggety bloke?!

I would have thought Molloy a tad taller ... but I concede he is relatively smaller frame ... in relative terms ... and might be an issue for higher honours ... however his work rate is unquestionable.

Is Bell really 6 ft 3 ... I always think that sort of height is too tall for a prop. Then again at International level ... front rowers seem to be typically approaching that

anyways will be interesting from here on ... as personally I don't think so many games is conducive to staying injury free

so hope the Barker v Waverley clash isn't effected by the rest of the rep games

any injuries so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.