• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Have not watched it all through yet but on what I did see- two impressions- how good is Moretti? Has anyone seen better at number 8 in schoolboy rugby? And is it my imagination but were the GPS boys off side a lot of the time? Seemed to be pushing the envelope...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Very true Rod. As a former GPS student with a son that attends CAS ( divided loyalties), the last few years have been enjoyable watching CAS rugby results continue to grow as it is only the better for rugby. Depth has always been a huge advantage to GPS with both 1's and 2's looking equally skilled and balanced.I did note the size disparity as well when the team walked by but didn't see any disadvantage on the field at all. CAS had a perfect mix of size and speed in the pack which showed in the engine room and the break down. They were shoved a bit at the scrum initially but the set piece got better and better as the game went on. What did amaze me yesterday was the physical strength of Moretti and Reimer in holding ball runners up to force turnovers. It happened on numerous occasions and you could see the lift in the whole team when it happened. I am sure others in the pack were equally responsible but just commenting on what I saw. The lads they were holding up were not small as it looked like a 100kg deadlift. Well done to all players yesterday. !! Pleased to now have seen "that tackle" live twice!

DR,

Very astute and fair observation,

Clearly these pre-season/trial games are a winner, not just for the CAS teams, but school rugby in general, as the general competency is increasing, just a few years ago GPS would flog CAS in most years.

IMO, the next step is a tiered school competition with all the appropriate GPS/ISA/CAS/CHS schools, I believe a lot like the Kiwi system (I think), that may have a number of divisions and an elevation/relegation system.

AND within that comp, you can still have the trophy of winning your own association.

Keen for any thoughts!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Have not watched it all through yet but on what I did see- two impressions- how good is Moretti? Has anyone seen better at number 8 in schoolboy rugby? And is it my imagination but were the GPS boys off side a lot of the time? Seemed to be pushing the envelope.

Morretti is a gun. No doubt about that. Very dominant. Potentially best schoolboy #8 in 2018. But I have seen better #8s to have played schoolboys.

I will let you make your own mind up, but here are the #8s to have played schoolboys since 2000.

Crichton, for example, was imo, a better player at the same age. Same with Elsom, Dempsey, McCalman and others..

2000 Rocky Elsom St Joseph’s Nudgee College
2001 Mitch Chapman Brisbane Grammar School
2002 Julian Salvi Marist College
2003 Julian Salvi Marist College
2004 Pauliasi Taumoepeau St. Josephs
2005 Patrick McCutcheon St. Joseph’s
2006 Ben McCalman Kinross Wolaroi
2007 Tala Gray St Kevin's College
2008 Jarad BUTLER The Southport School
2009 Nathan PAILA Hallam Senior College
2010 Michael WELLS St Ignatius College
2011 Caleb Timu Marsden State High School
2012 Jack Dempsey St Ignatius' College
2013 Maclean Jones St. Joseph’s Nudgee College
2014 Angus Crichton Scots College
2015 Reece HEWART Anglican Church Grammar
2016 Sunia Finefeuiaki Marcellin College VIC
2017 Lachlan Connors St Patrick's QLD

Source
https://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/team-lists/

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting afternoon of Rugby.

Conditions were absolutely perfect and some wonderful rugby was played, however it was also very surprising to me how much dropped ball & basic errors there were. Particularly by CAS.

CAS were so dominant in the first half, and GPS completely rattled, that it felt like GPS were in for an absolute flogging. At about the 20min mark in the first half CAS lead 24-0. Then the CAS boys relaxed (in my view). Instead of building phases and working the opposition, they started trying to score off first phase and push the pass. This was the "foot off the accelerator" moment that the GPS boys needed, and it allowed them to get back into the game.
For the entire second half, CAS very rarely managed to hold onto the ball for more than 3 phases & t
o GPS's credit, they made a real game of it in the end and nearly snatched it.

In the end the better side definitely won, but if I was a selector, the amount of basic handling error's in perfect conditions would be a bit puzzling.

To the players:
GPS props too strong and controlled the scrum (noticeable when Bell came off)
Hooker - Battle easily won by Pollard
Second Row - Pretty even.
Back Row - CAS clearly dominant
Half Back - Points to Tejcek
5/8 - Edmed clearly outplayed Savala, although more even in second half (Minogue in GPS 2nd's better IMO)
Centres - Points to the CAS lads
Wingers - Brydon & Sua'ali'i
Fullback - Neither player had much influence (Connolly from GPS 2nd's better than both IMO)

Will be interesting to see how they go on Friday with such a short turn around. Will be a very tough game against ISA

After watching the replay I recon u might change a few of ur comments. Cas deserved winners as Elias was unfortunate to get sent off , probably the right call but no intent whatsoever in the tackle and would of been extremely unlucky if GPS had won the game on this call.
Harris and Bell went real well in the forwards for GPS but Luca M was the difference in the match , aggressive strong and a real leader.
Strang held his own with David T, Savala was GPS best back got them going forward and Got his hands on the ball far more than Edmed and looked dangerous when he had it.Edmed is a good kicker in general play and for touch but only ran the ball twice in general play but got the job done.

Would of been interesting if Strang and Savala had not gone of with injuries at the end , to see if they could off pinched the game.

Cas centres were better and much more direct than GPS .

Wingers Cas defensively outstanding especially the speed of no14 marking Dutalis.

Fullbacks not much in it but too many handling mistakes in 1st half by GPS 15.

Credit to both teams as the game was played in good spirit.

Look forward to hopefully going out Friday ,I believe CHS beat ISA with a penalty after the bell so should make for some interesting games.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Morretti is a gun. No doubt about that. Very dominant. Potentially best schoolboy #8 in 2018. But I have seen better #8s to have played schoolboys.

I will let you make your own mind up, but here are the #8s to have played schoolboys since 2000.

Crichton, for example, was imo, a better player at the same age. Same with Elsom, Dempsey, McCalman and others..

2000 Rocky Elsom St Joseph’s Nudgee College
2001 Mitch Chapman Brisbane Grammar School
2002 Julian Salvi Marist College
2003 Julian Salvi Marist College
2004 Pauliasi Taumoepeau St. Josephs
2005 Patrick McCutcheon St. Joseph’s
2006 Ben McCalman Kinross Wolaroi
2007 Tala Gray St Kevin's College
2008 Jarad BUTLER The Southport School
2009 Nathan PAILA Hallam Senior College
2010 Michael WELLS St Ignatius College
2011 Caleb Timu Marsden State High School
2012 Jack Dempsey St Ignatius' College
2013 Maclean Jones St. Joseph’s Nudgee College
2014 Angus Crichton Scots College
2015 Reece HEWART Anglican Church Grammar
2016 Sunia Finefeuiaki Marcellin College VIC
2017 Lachlan Connors St Patrick's QLD

Source
https://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/team-lists/

Mmmm...maybe I dont get around that much anymore. I dont know what else the lad could do with his game to improve it. I have watched him play a few times now. But thanks for the feedback/response.

S

sidelineview

There were some great highlights from the match after watching the replay once.
Amoung others, Moretti's strength and ability to hold players up for a turn over.
A few really good tackles at the end of the game by CAS players. A couple by the 15; one was a head on tackle to stop the biggest GPS forward on the field.
And the brilliant covering tackle by the CAS winger. It was made to look more spectacular because the young attacking winger tried to launch himself over the defence and was caught in the air.
Edmed has a huge boot on him and put in some nice touches in attack.
The 9 played a great passing game but i would urge him to be more confident to run when the opportunity arises. Assuming he'll be in one of the State teams there'll be plenty of good 9s who can pass left and right and box kick. He might need more than that to progress further.
The red card was warranted but there was no malice in it; just a bit of a brain snap.
In general CAS shut GPS out in the first half with their aggression, enthusiasm and strong defence.
It would have been interesting had a couple of GPS attempts at intercepts stuck at the start of the game.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Mmmm.maybe I dont get around that much anymore. I dont know what else the lad could do with his game to improve it. I have watched him play a few times now. But thanks for the feedback/response.

My response was not meant to be a criticism of Moretti. He is freakishly talented and, more importantly, has the derermination and will to win sometimes lacking in super talented players. Its just i dont think he could be considered the best schoolboys # 8 ever. Not sure if that was what you meant. But in case it was, there is plenty of rugby ahead for him. When he dominates the kiwi forwards then, then he might be considered one of the best ever. He had limited opportunities off the bench for Aust schools last year and got replaced for game 2 by Kibble from QLD who has since gone on to play Aust u20s.

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting afternoon of Rugby.

Conditions were absolutely perfect and some wonderful rugby was played, however it was also very surprising to me how much dropped ball & basic errors there were. Particularly by CAS.

CAS were so dominant in the first half, and GPS completely rattled, that it felt like GPS were in for an absolute flogging. At about the 20min mark in the first half CAS lead 24-0. Then the CAS boys relaxed (in my view). Instead of building phases and working the opposition, they started trying to score off first phase and push the pass. This was the "foot off the accelerator" moment that the GPS boys needed, and it allowed them to get back into the game.
For the entire second half, CAS very rarely managed to hold onto the ball for more than 3 phases & t
o GPS's credit, they made a real game of it in the end and nearly snatched it.

In the end the better side definitely won, but if I was a selector, the amount of basic handling error's in perfect conditions would be a bit puzzling.

To the players:
GPS props too strong and controlled the scrum (noticeable when Bell came off)
Hooker - Battle easily won by Pollard
Second Row - Pretty even.
Back Row - CAS clearly dominant
Half Back - Points to Tejcek
5/8 - Edmed clearly outplayed Savala, although more even in second half (Minogue in GPS 2nd's better IMO)
Centres - Points to the CAS lads
Wingers - Brydon & Sua'ali'i
Fullback - Neither player had much influence (Connolly from GPS 2nd's better than both IMO)

Will be interesting to see how they go on Friday with such a short turn around. Will be a very tough game against ISA.

Good report thanks Bolivia.

Credit must go to the CAS coaches Scott Coleman (Waverley) and Andrew Cleverley (Cranbrook) who now have an impressive record against GPS with 2 wins from 2 matches. When was the last time that happened ?

They kept the game plan simple and played to their strengths. In the first half, it looked like GPS thought that all they had to do was turn up to win the match. The result certainly silenced a lot of the GPS critics who believe that the GPS competition is a far superior schoolboy comp.

The CAS boys simply wanted it more and came out with great intent and physicality. A few of the GPS boys were certainly guilty of looking sideways for Moretti and Reimer and co.

I note from the match reports that there were some impressive performances from the GPS 2 players, particularly in the backs. Will be interesting to see if selectors make any changes to the GPS teams for the games on Friday.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Just watched the game. Impressive from CAS.

Ilias was fantastic in defence and with ball in hand. The way he sets up that first try is so simple, but so nice to watch. They way he draws two defenders holds his line then gets the footy away. His defence on the winger in the first three minutes saves a certain try. He uses the side line well. His Defense at 45 minutes is exceptional.

Barker winger Bryden was outstanding. His positioning was sharp, his tackling fantastic and tops it off with a try and a try saving tackle.

Reimer at the back of lineouts is a workhorse. He manages to steal the ball 3-4 times and easily makes 20 metres with the ball. You can’t coach that stuff, it’s pure will that has him looking for those balls. His one at the 41 minute mark is immense.

Drings turnover early is key, a second rower with back row skills- changes the whole momentum GPS has for that moment. He also appears to run the CAS lineout very well. I rate him highly after watching this game.

Edmeds boot controls field position his kick from his own 22 to inside the opposition 22 is massive. His kick trough at 41 minutes is sharp thinking especially as he saves a scrum and puts pressure back on GPS.

The scrum at the 37th minute mark was the Barker prop killing their scrum. So good to watch a backrower do that to seasoned props.

Moretti is just a freak. His try looks like a man playing among boys, just rips straight through the defense and goes under untouched.

Those boys would be the standouts for me from CAS and with Australian selectors at the game, they likely made an impression with their performance.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Just watched the game. Impressive from CAS.

Ilias was fantastic in defence and with ball in hand. The way he sets up that first try is so simple, but so nice to watch. They way he draws two defenders holds his line then gets the footy away. His defence on the winger in the first three minutes saves a certain try. He uses the side line well. His Defense at 45 minutes is exceptional.

Barker winger Bryden was outstanding. His positioning was sharp, his tackling fantastic and tops it off with a try and a try saving tackle.

Reimer at the back of lineouts is a workhorse. He manages to steal the ball 3-4 times and easily makes 20 metres with the ball. You can’t coach that stuff, it’s pure will that has him looking for those balls. His one at the 41 minute mark is immense.

Drings turnover early is key, a second rower with back row skills- changes the whole momentum GPS has for that moment. He also appears to run the CAS lineout very well. I rate him highly after watching this game.

Edmeds boot controls field position his kick from his own 22 to inside the opposition 22 is massive. His kick trough at 41 minutes is sharp thinking especially as he saves a scrum and puts pressure back on GPS.

The scrum at the 37th minute mark was the Barker prop killing their scrum. So good to watch a backrower do that to seasoned props.

Moretti is just a freak. Some points on that video. His try looks like a man playing among boys, just rips straight through the defense and goes under untouched. When he takes the ball at the 22 minute mark and just destroys the defender in contact. His tackle on the outside centre just wins CAS the ball at a key time when they are on attack. He just holds him up, he does the same to one of their forwards as well. Then his tackle on Wellington while GPS were on attack after the 28th minute, he tackles the man steals the ball then CAS kick it down field. Game changing play with GPS in attack. Incredible play. The hole he puts lambert in at 43 minutes.

Those boys would be the standouts for me from CAS and with Australian selectors at the game, they likely made an impression with their performance.

Re Moretti. My thoughts too. I think he is destined.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Re Moretti. My thoughts too. I think he is destined.

My view:

Moretti is excellent. He deserves all the success he will enjoy this year.

But: over-hyping schoolboys doesn't help anyone. They're still in a small pond. There's so much that can go wrong when they leave it. Or, even if nothing goes wrong, they can still sink to anonymity in the tougher levels of the game. Paterson from Waverley was a phenomenal schoolboy player six or so years ago. He's now a very good First Grader. No shame in that, it's no mean feat, but he's not tearing up the higher levels of the game. You could say something similar of Harry Jones.

For what it's worth, Fotu Auelua was an absolutely formidable Australian Schools No8 back in about 2001 or thereabouts. Size, speed, skills. He became an OK-ish Super Rugby player. Too many variables influence a player's progress for it to be helpful slapping too many garlands on them too early.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Off the top of my head, I know CAS beat GPS 1sts back-to-back in 1978 (with the standouts Quoyle (A) and Goehner (T)) and 1979 (24-13 with tries to Sproule (W), Quoyle (A) and Wall (B) with Powell (A) kicking the goals). (Can't quite recall how WLF went in the 3rds that day.) In some ways not a vintage year: I think the only Wallaby to emerge from the CAS teams that year was Tim Kava.

It must have happened again since then.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
My view:

Moretti is excellent. He deserves all the success he will enjoy this year.

But: over-hyping schoolboys doesn't help anyone. They're still in a small pond. There's so much that can go wrong when they leave it. Or, even if nothing goes wrong, they can still sink to anonymity in the tougher levels of the game. Paterson from Waverley was a phenomenal schoolboy player six or so years ago. He's now a very good First Grader. No shame in that, it's no mean feat, but he's not tearing up the higher levels of the game. You could say something similar of Harry Jones.

For what it's worth, Fotu Auelua was an absolutely formidable Australian Schools No8 back in about 2001 or thereabouts. Size, speed, skills. He became an OK-ish Super Rugby player. Too many variables influence a player's progress for it to be helpful slapping too many garlands on them too early.

Snort... mate......all of what you say is true....but let the old blokes like me have the dream. People will live up to and perform to expectations and hope and maybe that lad will just go a bit further. He is exciting to watch. All the elements seem to be there for him to develop into something special with some self belief and support. Magic occurs in the gap between realism and expectation. And, BTW, I am not a Waverley Dad.

S

sidelineview

Off the top of my head, I know CAS beat GPS 1sts back-to-back in 1978 (with the standouts Quoyle (A) and Goehner (T)) and 1979 (24-13 with tries to Sproule (W), Quoyle (A) and Wall (B) with Powell (A) kicking the goals). (Can't quite recall how WLF went in the 3rds that day.) In some ways not a vintage year: I think the only Wallaby to emerge from the CAS teams that year was Tim Kava.

It must have happened again since then.

I think you're right: Tim Kava was the only Wallaby to emerge from CAS & the Waverley 1979 Premiership winning team.
However, Andrew Ugarte (Waverley) & Toby Jones (Cranbrook) made the Aussie Schoolboys team in that year.
CAS Aussie Schoolboys in 1978 were: Phillip Tuck & Robert Davis (Knox) & Michael Maxwell (Cranbrook)

Status
Not open for further replies.