• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Was a great game of rugby, nail biting till the end. Waverly were the better team in the first half, no doubt helped by the intercept try, but having a smaller fitter front row will win out against and the bigger islander boys who were noticeably huffing and puffing towards the end.

The disappointing thing was some of the comments from the idiots from the other side of the park. There were some funny lines but singling someone out and calling him a C**t was way out of line. Even though you may have left the school as long as you as associated with it you are a reflection on your old school. A bit of banter is fun targeted abuse is not

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Was a great game of rugby, nail biting till the end. Waverly were the better team in the first half, no doubt helped by the intercept try, but having a smaller fitter front row will win out against and the bigger islander boys who were noticeably huffing and puffing towards the end.

The disappointing thing was some of the comments from the idiots from the other side of the park. There were some funny lines but singling someone out and calling him a C**t was way out of line. Even though you may have left the school as long as you as associated with it you are a reflection on your old school. A bit of banter is fun targeted abuse is not

In addition, those idiots referred to in the above post were yelling and putting their loud hailer on siren mode for every kick, Barkers Josh Nercessian attempted.
By contrast, on the final play of the day, when Hutchinson Walters lined up for his penalty, you could here a pin drop around the ground. And his attempt was taken right in front of the Barker support group and students.
Barker and their supporters respect the moment and their opposition!!
Nothing more need be said on this topic. To many witnesses

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
In addition, those idiots referred to in the above post were yelling and putting their loud hailer on siren mode for every kick, Barkers Josh Nercessian attempted.
By contrast, on the final play of the day, when Hutchinson Walters lined up for his penalty, you could here a pin drop around the ground. And his attempt was taken right in front of the Barker support group and students.

Some of the Barker boys were thinking of being a bit noisy on that kick and were shut down very quickly

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Students are more controllable than Old Boys. The Waves students on the ground were very well behaved and respectful

S

sidelineview

Dont get too self righteous Rod.
Dont forget leaving Pollard and Reimer off the team list for the program. They both played full games.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Given how well these lads know each other and with every kid having phones, I am 100% sure that every Waverley player and their coach knew that Pollard and Reimer were playing. It was only us humble bystanders, me included that were taken aback. That said, an accurate program is desired. I did read in some earlier post that there was some doubt over the two lads in question. Aloys game the week before was pretty torrid. So maybe those two were injured but played despite their condition. who knows.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
You may also have noticed that the Barker players stood still and let the player take the kick without charging which I thought was extraordinary at the time.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not that much turns on it, but a few thoughts on Trinity and Cranbrook. Both sides are coach-killers, who waste a good deal of talent with basic mistakes. For Trinity today the problem was ball retention - for the first two thirds of the game they struggled to put three phases together and knocked on repeatedly when attacking. Cranbrook could barely manage a single restart (kicking or receiving) and missed too many one on one tackles. But if you look past that there was a lot to enjoy. 7 Carroll got through a mountain of work and was Cranbrook’s best. 4 May tried hard all day but his upright running makes him a touch too easy to tackle. 13 Taylor made one lovely break and 9 Smith managed the game well and kicked cleverly. 15 Lamens was made to work hard all day but stood up well.

For Trinity there was power up front from 3 Lambert, 2 Hawkes and 8 Eid. The scrum often hammered the smaller Cranbrook pack. 10 Edmed was patchy but his best moments were excellent. Everything 13 Ilias did oozed class and Trinity needed to find ways to involve him more. 12 Ieremia player like a battering ram but was very hard to stop.

In the end Trinity had too much size, muscle and individual skill. Still, on this showing, Waverley won’t be overly worried next week.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Fantastic game at QP yesterday. So glad I crossed associations and saw what was an epic 'grand final'. Waverley played as many had predicted. 'Stuff, the stats. Its Death valley'. The little things were just going their way and when the wind died early in the 2nd half, plus Waves got an intercept early in the 2nd stanza, I thought Barker was gone. But no. While they were showing clear signs of nerves in half 1, Barker showed remarkable composure and maturity in the second half to slowly build their way back into the game and take the lead when it really mattered. At full time. Just like they did against Kings in the trials. When down by a similar margin. Waves probably should have won. Both teams deserved to win. Congratulations to Barker.

On another note, that megaphone in siren mode while Barker was kicking goals was a disgrace.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The Wankers do tend to add to the festival atmosphere a bit tho'. It aint all bad. I dont think at the end of the day it disrupted things all that much.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The Wankers do tend to add to the festival atmosphere a bit tho'. It aint all bad. I dont think at the end of the day it disrupted things all that much.
I completely disagree. If the Barker crowd had been as obviously boisterous and disruptive when HW was taking the final penalty and he missed, the Waverley old boys would be crying foul st the tops of their lungs. The fact that the Barker crowd respected the moment and we’re deathly silent meant that the Waverley old boys had nothing to whinge about and that only highlights the cultural gulf between the supporter groups. I am sure the Waverley teachers and Head are equally embarrassed. For the record the Waverley students were passionate and respectful. No qualm with the students behaviour.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
And to understand a virtue, such as good sportsmanship, sometimes you have to see the opposite. Opposites were shown across differing sides of the oval - the sportsmanship and respect on the Southern boundary, its opposite on the Northern. Hopefully something may have been learnt.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
According to the Associated Schools rules joint premierships are awarded when teams finish on equal terms. The Henry Plume Shield has been won by every school in the Association, and by 2017 most often by Waverley with 36, followed by Knox with 25, Barker with 17, Trinity with 14, Cranbrook with 13 and St Aloysius with 3. Shared premierships were awarded on 13 occasions . This means that Barker College are now 2018 Premiers regardless of results next weekend. If Knox defeat Barker and Waverley defeat Trinity next week Barker will be joint Premiers with Waverley. If Barker defeat Knox they will be sole Premiers. So congratulations are in order to the Barker opens squad for a fantastic season. Pre season victories over Stannies, Oakhill, three NZ schools, Kings, St Pats, Shore, Joeys and just the one loss for the year to Riverview. Well done to you all.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
One thing I will say is Waverley might of lost 1sts Xv and that hurts

However going by yesterday's wider rugby results Waverley is looking good for the future

While the 16As lost narrowly and 5ths lost

Think pretty much everything else was wins to Waverley

And certainly seem to be some strong age groups

Ps I note for next week Waverley 5ths have a bye! I would have thought joeys be always able to offer up some opposition?
Surely you don't want to end your year 12, final game with a bye?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^
I was at HH yesterday, ‘Steppa.
So, just like in politics, you can only keep some of the punters happy, some of the time.
As disappointed as SDW may be, and no doubt others, with your fine visuals posted, tonight, I am one of the happy punters who had a bit o’ cake already (at HH), and am now chowing some more down! :)
Kudos you, ‘Steppa!
Cheers mate.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
No worries sidesteppa ... love ur work

We just need to clone u

Really was a good game ... much as you can hear the punters trying to ref from the grandstand

The players decided the result ... no yellow cards

And much as it pains me to say it Andrew Corey (i am a fan) got one thing wrong with the moretti try

But didn't obv impact the result... and fact that barker was prepared to back themselves when their was a penalty kick on offer, only makes me feel rugby was the winner

And cas comp is alive and well... with all schools certainly competitive, at least in A teams

Status
Not open for further replies.