• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The enthusiasm of Waverley's supporters here is great and Waverley is a good side. But all the signs are that Barker is better. They're the only unbeaten side in the competition, and put away by a huge margin the side that upset Waverley 22-5. So, rationally, as a neutral, you'd need to back Barker.

That said, in any two-horse race, anything can happen. No-one outside St Aloysius backed them to beat Waverley. So Barker has no room for complacency.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
The enthusiasm of Waverley's supporters here is great and Waverley is a good side. But all the signs are that Barker is better. They're the only unbeaten side in the competition, and put away by a huge margin the side that upset Waverley 22-5. So, rationally, as a neutral, you'd need to back Barker.

That said, in any two-horse race, anything can happen. No-one outside St Aloysius backed them to beat Waverley. So Barker has no room for complacency.

Hopefully hear is some helpful news.
Never use Optus for your Internet connection, if possible.Our whole street has been down for over a week, and we live in the East not Ayres Rock!
I agree with Snort, Barker are well deserved favs.
It will be an upset if Waves win.
My prediction: Waves by 7 (ha snorty)
Cranbrook by probably a lot at home likewise Knox too strong for Aloys!

End result : The ultimate show down at Knox v the men in red in the very last game!
I can hear some cheers and some boos!
But my predicted Henry Plume winner is....
BARKER!!

The 16as comp is also a goodie the Waves haven't lost a game all year and Barker are also unbeaten in the 16as CAS comp, maybe all season (can someone please clarify - Barker gents).
This game is unfortunately at 9am at Barker.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The 16A's this year are strong WLF but I am unsure if they are undefeated. That match will be a good one. Cant say I will be there at 9am however. As to the firsts - who knows? Brave of anyone to predict.

bobs bunker

Frank Row (1)
Barker v Waverley.

I am the first to admit that the Barker backs look sharp. Galloway and Vass are very quick and the halves provide a really effective service but this quality ball is provided by a forward pack which is really good at the pick and drive and more importantly great ball retention. If, and its a BIG IF, Waverley can be strong at the breakdown and meet them at the gain line and reduce their constant advancing, maybe the Barker backs wont have the freedom they have become accustomed to in recent games. I get a feeling this game will be all about momentum and Barker seem to start slowly in their games which May give the Wavs a sniff. Good luck to both teams, should be a cracker.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, you have my sympathy. That's, what, leaving home at 6am?

No staying up to watch the Ashes!

Snort, I will definitely be watching the Ashes, like you and many others.
I have 2 boys and it is my turn to watch by younger boy this week at QP so I will miss the 16as game at Barker at 9am.
Having said that the 16a game was my preference due to its CAS comp meaning.

Will you by chance be at Trinity the following week when the 16as play at 11am, if so I can say g'day?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, I will definitely be watching the Ashes, like you and many others.
I have 2 boys and it is my turn to watch by younger boy this week at QP so I will miss the 16as game at Barker at 9am.
Having said that the 16a game was my preference due to its CAS comp meaning.

Will you by chance be at Trinity the following week when the 16as play at 11am, if so I can say g'day?

WLF, I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone in a week! But will let you know closer to the day! I fear that one will not be all that much of a contest (though the Trinity 14As are good).

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Hopefully hear is some helpful news.
The 16as comp is also a goodie the Waves haven't lost a game all year and Barker are also unbeaten in the 16as CAS comp, maybe all season (can someone please clarify - Barker gents).
This game is unfortunately at 9am at Barker.

Barker lost their first game against Oakhill and also lost to Newington on the bell (7-5). The only losses this year so far, however they played both Riverview & Joeys 16B's sides and won by about 50 points in each. They also drew with Kings 16A's

I predict it will be a far closer game than it has been in the past.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Barker lost their first game against Oakhill and also lost to Newington on the bell (7-5). The only losses this year so far, however they played both Riverview & Joeys 16B's sides and won by about 50 points in each. They also drew with Kings 16A's

I predict it will be a far closer game than it has been in the past.
Agree WTF,
Do you have a boy in the 16as?

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
Re the 16As. I'll go out on a limb on this ;) If Waverley play to their full potential it won't be close 20+.

If they play, like they did last week against Cranbrook or as they did in their 2nd trial game against St Augustines, they will lose, and if so, they will have the ignominy of being the team that lost the first game that this age team has lost ever as a seniors team. Though missing a number of players through injury/1st XV duty/South African exchange trips, they will be too strong.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Agree WTF,
Do you have a boy in the 16as?

Yes, and hopefully he will play - will know today. He is carrying a couple of injuries, and one from last Sunday that may force him out. He will be devastated if so.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Barker v Waverley.

I am the first to admit that the Barker backs look sharp. Galloway and Vass are very quick and the halves provide a really effective service but this quality ball is provided by a forward pack which is really good at the pick and drive and more importantly great ball retention. If, and its a BIG IF, Waverley can be strong at the breakdown and meet them at the gain line and reduce their constant advancing, maybe the Barker backs wont have the freedom they have become accustomed to in recent games. I get a feeling this game will be all about momentum and Barker seem to start slowly in their games which May give the Wavs a sniff. Good luck to both teams, should be a cracker.

I expect Barker to be lagging in the first half a bit as they quite often are. Their conditioning, however, is superb and the last 15 minutes will make the difference as it has over the last few years in most of their matches. They just wear 'em down. . It will be very close I think and impossible to predict. I regard this match as the season highlight. I dont think Knox will be as much of a challenge.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nice to read that 6ths cranbrook Versus Waverley featured a kid with Down’s syndrome

And game was played in great spirit

Full credit to both schools and their boys

That is what it’s all about

At the end of the day, it’s about everyone having a good time

And love the playful banter in the lower grades

Play hard, play fair and at end of the match you have life long memories

Been great season ... so far...to see aloys bag a big scalp, cranbrook same

And hopefully last 2 rounds see some more upsets

Hopefully waves can upset the barker boys...who are def favourites

But win lose or draw ...sure they will do the school proud, like the mighty 6ths

Big_Senditure

Stan Wickham (3)
I have recently found out that Cheal and Breden will not be playing this weekend with L.Pratt and O.Moore taking their place. Interesting to see if this has any effect on the result, but I am sure these boys will try their best to do their school proud.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Cheal suffered an ankle/foot injury last weekend - I'm not sure of the extent but he may be gone for the season. Breden didn't seem to be injured, perhaps precautionary and making sure whatever niggle he has is right for next week. Pratt has also been injured so I'm surprised he's slotted straight in.

Knox's back row is their strength, but still very capable replacements. Can't see Knox having any issues with Aloys, but upsets can happen, as this season has shown!!