• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't put too much faith in the assumption that being selected in Howard Matthews or SG Ball Squads is a good indication of a "must have" player for Representative Rugby.

Many talented rugby players skills have regressed from being exposed to Mungoball "Skills development" in U16 and U18 competitions.

They may have "better" and "professional" S&C staff and programmes but they are not all they are made out to be, and their athletic development programmes are aimed towards the rather limited skill sets needed for their game.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Seems a lot of interest in 16s, on the Cameron versus towns , they are both awesome,hard to seperate

Probably think Cameron's extensive junior rugby would put him marginally in front

Towns has the pedigree ... Pretty sure his dad was an Aussie schoolboy

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Revised backline

9. Tejcek (B)
10. Illias (T)
11. Towns (W)
12. Cameron (K)
13. Byron Hollingworth-Dessent (T) u16 a's
14. Shariat (K)
15. Basheer (B)

Not so sure about Basheer. doesn't offer a lot in attack besides from his kicks and defensively is a bit soft

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I wasn't comparing them, but agreeing with @jeff thomson's comment that the coach is likely to influence team composition.

Separately, I imagine that with W coaches this year, the coaching team next year will be from one of the other 5 schools and I like the structured rugby Aloys 15As have played this season.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
@jeff Thomson, I think you are right. This year's CAS U16s had 2 Waves coaches (Coleman and O'Donnell) and 6 of the starting side (along with K - 5, C - 3, T - 1)
http://www.cas.nsw.edu.au/home/winter-sports/rugby/representative-teams/

Not blaming the coaches, but with 2 losses and a draw I hope the result is a lot different next year. From what I've seen this season, I wouldn't mind whoever coaches Aloys.

There were only 4 Waverley boys in the start on team.

Wright
Szabo
Bell
hardaker

The other two were injured along with three other members of the starting team.

S

sidelineview

In all honesty, Waverley have a very good chance next year at challenging for the title, although this as been said for the last couple of years. They have a number of boys returning such as Jordan, Mohi, Wright, Clifton, Jaya. Also, I have been impressed by clifton #4 and also the seconds #5 drew-morris. Their size, strength and speed is quite remarkable but also their ability to ball play ball suggest if they keep playing the same way rep honours could be around the corner, as most second rowers lack skills in this area. This would make them valuable, although i am not prepared to put money on it, nsw or Aus teams arent out of the question

The players returning who played 1sts this year are Tyzac Jordan, Jackson Mohi, Finn Wright, Pat Clifton, Jaya Yoannidis, Tom Fuller, Lachlan Drew-Morris, Ben O'Sullivan, Zac Carr, Liam Molloy and Lachlan Small (?).
Wright and Clifton were U16s players.
You're right, big Clifton and Drew-Morris impressed with their strong running and ball skills.

RedBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
There is also a kid from Cranbrook 16a's that was playing up this season, Andrew Glastras. Played in the South Harbour side for CAS trials this year. Pretty sure he plays 6, 12, 13. Very good player, extremely tough and hard running.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow , with all that loig talent Waverly must be firm favourites across all age groups.........................

BlueGold

Frank Row (1)
Statistically Speaking, Junior League Rep teams don't provide much until a player makes the first cut in a Harold Matthews Squad. Most "Junior Rep" sides are picked based on the area that the kids play e.g. Bondi, Clovelly go to Roosters etc. It is at the age of 16 when they come up against players who travel from across the state (and in my experience overseas) to trial with particular teams making the selection process much more cut throat.

In saying that, I have seen first hand over the last two years that all schools (with league players, $$$, facilities or not) show strength in different age groups as in the past it was pretty much locked in that 1,2 and 3 positions on the ladder would be locked between Barker, Waves and Knox. I think more CAS Schools are heading in the right direction with their coaching and practices around the "student athlete" to ultimately make the competition stronger.

I know that from seeing many of the Age Group games play this year from both CAS & GPS there are some age groups where CAS are stronger and then some where GPS dominate. I for one would love to see the classic 3-4 weeks of matches where the CAS tested themselves against the GPS teams rather than one off holiday games where there are excuses aplenty etc.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
There is also a kid from Cranbrook 16a's that was playing up this season, Andrew Glastras. Played in the South Harbour side for CAS trials this year. Pretty sure he plays 6, 12, 13. Very good player, extremely tough and hard running.
Sounds like a strong option - CAS will need all of the tough, experienced rugby forwards it can get to combat what will be a big, physical GPS pack. If he also plays 4 (@jeff thomson) and 6 does he call/jump in the line out?

Status
Not open for further replies.