• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it is a rather insidious threat. But on the other hand good luck to them. They have money and a commitment to expand their game. Whereas the boffins at the ARU seem to be distracted by other stuff.

I have seen somewhere that years 7 and 8 kids need to watch a firsts game in either Rugby, soccer and from this year AFL. Once upon a time it was just Rugby. Knox is fortunate to have lots of kids in each year so can probably absorb this better than others. However Knox also seems to have an "everyone must win or get a medal or ribbon" mentality in that they offer a lot of different sports. To placate the whims and fancies of the kids rather than direct them to specific sports. I am not sure whether this could lead to a dilution in some sports and I always thought more is often less. Mediocrity rather than excellence. But that is my opinion and could (and quite possibly ) be wrong.

Even with all these other sports one would hope that those wanting to play Rugby always would. But the fact there is a large range of sport on offer could lead to some kids missing out on the opportunity to play that sport. It is not a good thing in the long term.[/quote]

I believe rugby is its own worst enemy at times. We love to give it to ARU HQ and no doubt there has been poor decision making, lack of community engagement and a we know best attitude coming out of head office for years but I think it is also fair to acknowledge that the income union receives is not comparable to our two main winter competitors and the day approaching very fast that soccer may go past the lot. Imagine the criticism if more energy / funds were directed to private school rugby rather than grass roots whose lot anyone would concede is under greater pressure. I believe school associations have been very hard for the ARU to engage and prefer their independence. There is often comment about needing to copy or work towards the NZ model to move forward and uniting some way school and club competition. Safe to say wouldn't sit well with GPS in particular. Pulver has only recently stated that the focus has to come off "private"schools and money will be spent in the west. God knows it is required. There is not a junior rugby club, apart from Liverpool in a big area of Sydney southwest that stretches to Penrith in the west and south of the M4. The message has yet to get through to certain media forums who seem to always refer to a Super players school credentials rather a player had 10 years of junior footy with his local club. Kellaway now debuting for the Tahs a prime current example, that his TSC pedigree is continually highlighted but no mention that he come up through the junior club ranks. Leaves the impression one must attend "Ivy League" to gain access to the rugby pathway.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
yes- Kellaway- another product of the Gordon Juniors!
If only he and many others had stayed on with the senior Club!

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
By the time someone from Gordon got round to asking in Y12, quite a few others had already expressed interest. (Kellaway had been playing 1sts since Y10 and an Australian Schoolboy in Y11) The Gordon team Kellaway played in was the last to win a U16 state title for Gordon, Deegan another notable in the side who went elsewhere. I believe only three from that side may have returned to play colts with the Gays. Gordon were less than engaged with their juniors at the time but think that has been changing. That TSC had coaching links to Randwick and many from TSC 1sts from that time were heading that way was also a big factor.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Gordon won 16's 2 years ago - their 5th win in 6 years and most of those players leave school this year - will be interesting to see if an expression of interest is more important than 7 years of representing a club.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
By the time someone from Gordon got round to asking in Y12, quite a few others had already expressed interest. (Kellaway had been playing 1sts since Y10 and an Australian Schoolboy in Y11) The Gordon team Kellaway played in was the last to win a U16 state title for Gordon, Deegan another notable in the side who went elsewhere. I believe only three from that side may have returned to play colts with the Gays. Gordon were less than engaged with their juniors at the time but think that has been changing. That TSC had coaching links to Randwick and many from TSC 1sts from that time were heading that way was also a big factor.

You don't think having the Tahs coach as an alumni made any difference? I suppose you don't think Bob Dwyer ever tried to get a player to play at Randwick either.

NeedAlift

Frank Row (1)
I agree Dainton is handy, however I wouldn't be too quick to anoint any positions this early. He will be recovering from a serious injury and there are other players coming through that will be another year stronger and more experienced. I've heard that the Cranbrook fly-half performed well towards the end of the season. I also saw the Knox yr10 boy Woodcock a couple of times and he was exceptional for a yr 10 boy - scoring tries and kicking goals to help Knox win at least a couple of games. He is in the NSW 16's team. As we saw this year, trying to predict a CAS team or further selections in any teams is a bit of a lottery.
I can see Dainton having a very successful season due to the Youngblood Pat Flaherty playing on his outside at 12. Saturday's game between Aloys and Cranbrook is where I see the built inside-centre coming to life.

Theking88

Frank Row (1)
Saturday afternoon is set to be a blockbuster as aloys take on cranebrook. The player to watch out for is Todd Gillman (hooker) from aloys. As usual he will be running straight and laying hits: he simply is a unit of a child.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Saturday afternoon is set to be a blockbuster as aloys take on cranebrook. The player to watch out for is Todd Gillman (hooker) from aloys. As usual he will be running straight and laying hits: he simply is a unit of a child.

Aloysius education must be on the downhill. Haven't heard of "cranebrook"

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I gather Finn wright is back from his suspension, but picked in 2s, which is probably fair result given front row has held it's own

Also gather moretti has held his place , so guessing Ellis back to 2s with rogers-smith back

Either way think it should be a good game

Waverley has been proving to be the come back kings, but might want to break the slow starting habit

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
The best game this weekend should be Trinity versus Waverley. At home Trinity should be hard to beat. It will interesting to see how the Trinity forwards go, as they are building a reputation of size and power. Whereas Waverley will be relying on their impressive backs. Depth will be an issue for Trinity, but if they can keep their starting 15 they should be hard to beat. This fixture has always been hard and tense, with a full range of emotions on display: discipline will be a key in this game and both sides will be hoping that they don't lose players to the bin. It will be a close game (I think....) with Waverley possibly coming over Trinity at the end. But Trinity could also wear Waverley down in the forwards, causing Waverley frustration and possible discipline issues.

Aloys versus Cranbrook will be a good match. Both sides are first round losers, yet both sides also competed well the previous week. Cranbrook will field the bigger side and be well drilled and methodical. Aloys will relish the opportunity to run the ball at home. They always play well at Willoughby. I think a few tries will be scored, but goal kicking may prove the difference. Really I have no idea who will win.

Knox versus Barker should be the easiest game to pick. Knox should win, but I can see some Barker causing some issues. Barker will not want to roll over easily. That said there is some quality to the Knox side and should be too powerful. It will be interesting to see what Knox turns up for the game: they could underestimate Barker and overestimate themselves to their detriment. But it is hard not to see Knox getting away with a convincing win. I think this Barker side is a season away from reaching its full potential.

Some stats from last week. Knox fielded 30 sides against Cranbrooks 16. Cranbrook's wins occurred by their B sides playing Knox C or Ds. Cranbrook had 26 soccer sides. I am not sure of the numbers of each school, but it would suggest that a lot of kids may not be playing sport.

CAS_RumourMill

Bob McCowan (2)
CASRM LATE MAIL is FINALLY here:

Knox vs Barker:Knox came away big winners last week and proved once again their efficacy to bounce back after a tough loss the week before to Joeys. Solid performances from Hugh Margin and Leo Bosch last week were the difference for Knox who sensed that a lighter week of training was needed to rearm spent forwards who seemed crushed against Joeys. A lightweight Cranbrook proved no match for them and an injury crippled Barker should prove no different. Meanwhile, Barker is trying some 16's firepower to kick the Reds into gear. It seems this is tactically the wrong game to choose though. The coaches will have to read the situation. If they are being sorely beaten, surely they would preserve their 16’s for another time and minimize the risk of injury. If Barker were to go 0-2 you would feel that the CAS could slip away from them very quickly. The Cellar Dwellers last year must fight on in this grudge match that will have obvious tensions and feeling, the stakes are high for both sides. Expect at least one yellow card as the crowd plays their part for Knox. If the right Knox team shows up, they should win without breaking sweat. If the wrong Knox team shows up, this will be a tussle that could go either way. Given the occasion, Knox will turn up with their heads screwed on. Knox by 42.

Cranbrook vs Aloysius:Aloysius looked surprisingly sluggish in their opening round, going down to a very confident Waverley side. In the face of some judicious refereeing, the Aloys side was reduced to 14 men at a crucial stage in the match. You have the feeling that their performance this week will be much improved backed up by a lighter week of training. Cranbook were swept aside in a seemingly characteristic clinical Knox display. But all was not lost. At many points, Cranbrook chose the right option and were generally competitive. It felt like 37-3 was an unfair representation of the closeness of the game. Maybe a 34-15 would have been more fair. This game will be a battle of who wants it more. Home crowd advantage will be key. College Oval is becoming more of a fortress than ever before. Aloysius by 3.

Trinity vs Waverley: Given that I didn’t watch Trinity last week my analysis would be vastly inadequate. What I do know is that Waverley were razor sharp and Trinity showed promising signs that they could definitely go better than last year. The pride of Trinity rugby is coming up against the class of Waverley who were probably the team of the week last week in their triumph over Aloys. Waverley by 15.

S

sidelineview

If Waverley was the team of the week last week, they only earned that honour in the second half.
Aloys didnt look sluggish in the first half and both teams had players carded, but you would expect them to improve, especially at home.
Discipline or lack of will probably be a key deciding factor in the Trinity-Waverley game.

It will be interesting to see the 2nds results. Depth for the different teams will be important during the season.

One player who caught my eye last year was Stewart from Cranbrook .. will be interested to see him play.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
CAS Team of the Week
Fill in the blanks. Pick it to pieces.

1. C.Grindal(K)/J. Wayland (T)
3. L. Smith (W)
4. T. Burston (C)/ Drew-Morris(W)/ T. Woodgate (B)
5. P. Clifton (W)/
6. L. Rasch (T)/ H. Margin (K)
7. M. Stead (T)/ J. Kemeny (C)/ B. O'Sullivan (W)
8. M. Basson (K)/ N. Hrdina (A)
9. T. Jordan (W)/ L. Bosch (K)
10. M. Dainton (A)/ D. Searle (C)/ T. Woodcock (K)
11. J. Mohi (W)
12. Nevison (B)/ T. Fuller (W)/ Morris (T)
13. J. Armstrong (K)/ J. Yoannidis (W)
15. H. Stewart (C)/ R. Longville (T)
You have got to be kidding me. The only 'certainties' are 3 Waverley people! Take those biased goggles off.

Show and go22

Bob McCowan (2)
My CAS 16s side comment if you see any other options
1. Frear (K)
2. Biviano (A)
3. Bullen (B)
4. Sullivan (A)
5. Flaherty (B)
6. Murphy (W)
7. Rahme (A)
8. Reimer (B)
9. Tejeck (B)/ Disano (A)
10. Kitchener (B)/ Westbury (A)
11. Hollingsworth-Decent (T)
12. Towns (W)
13. Cameron (K)
14. Shariat (K)
15. Basheer (B)

PickandDrive420

Frank Row (1)
My CAS 16s side comment if you see any other options
1. Frear (K)
2. Biviano (A)
3. Bullen (B)
4. Sullivan (A)
5. Flaherty (B)
6. Murphy (W)
7. Rahme (A)
8. Reimer (B)
9. Tejeck (B)/ Disano (A)
10. Kitchener (B)/ Westbury (A)
11. Hollingsworth-Decent (T)
12. Towns (W)
13. Cameron (K)
14. Shariat (K)
15. Basheer (B)

I agree with this side ShowandGo 22, Sullivan will add aggression and another hard running second row, not sure about the uncertainty at fly half Kitchener will be a sure pick but I feel westbury might be a better option at 12 allowing better ball movement to the likes of Cameron and shariat

Show and go22

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with this side ShowandGo 22, Sullivan will add aggression and another hard running second row, not sure about the uncertainty at fly half Kitchener will be a sure pick but I feel westbury might be a better option at 12 allowing better ball movement to the likes of Cameron and shariat
Yes I agree Kitchener is the more likely 10 although I think Westbury still has a bit of a shot as a dark horse

S

sidelineview

You have got to be kidding me. The only 'certainties' are 3 Waverley people! Take those biased goggles off.

I did invite you to pick it to pieces ... which 3?
Choose some players yourself .... CAS pick 2 teams plus reserves and its not unusual for players to be promoted or dropped.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Some stats from last week. Knox fielded 30 sides against Cranbrooks 16. Cranbrook's wins occurred by their B sides playing Knox C or Ds. Cranbrook had 26 soccer sides. I am not sure of the numbers of each school, but it would suggest that a lot of kids may not be playing sport.

Looking at the fixture lists for this week:

Barker: 18 rugby teams; 36 soccer teams
Trinity: 17 rugby teams; 30 soccer teams
Waverley: 23 rugby teams; 28 soccer teams

(Knox, Cranbrook, and Aloys do not seem to be on the public pages, so someone else may be able to post those numbers)

Conclusion - soccer is the dominant winter sport, AFL rising from a low base, and rugby is in free-fall.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Conclusion - soccer is the dominant winter sport, AFL rising from a low base, and rugby is in free-fall."

I wouldn't say "free-fall". But it's a long term, slow trend. Basically junior numbers are dropping gradually and there's no sign of the trend reversing. I've noticed the same in the Sydney JRU - a number of clubs who performed modestly in their grades in 2015 have been promoted a grade in 2016 - I assume, because of reduced player numbers elsewhere.

It means that the players who compete now mostly play because they want to, not because it's compulsory, which isn't a bad thing. On the other hand, it means that there are fewer boys exposed to the game who might become future supporters/encouraging parents.

It's a big issue for the ARU to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.