• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Looking at the fixture lists for this week:

Barker: 18 rugby teams; 36 soccer teams
Trinity: 17 rugby teams; 30 soccer teams
Waverley: 23 rugby teams; 28 soccer teams

(Knox, Cranbrook, and Aloys do not seem to be on the public pages, so someone else may be able to post those numbers)

Conclusion - soccer is the dominant winter sport, AFL rising from a low base, and rugby is in free-fall.

I would agree with Snort on this downwards trend - not fatal (yet) but it does mean everyone are volunteers not press ganged. I would say that in Waverley's case the decision has been made that, while there are enough players in some age groups for an additional team, they will be conservative in order to take into account injuries/absences through the season. So you could probably add 2-3 more teams in calculating the number of players signed on. So overall playing numbers (as opposed to teams) means rugby is still more popular than soccer by a bit of a margin. And look at the crowds that watch the 1st XV as opposed to the 1st XI.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Predictions for this week: Knox to put Barker away. Home advantage the key in a St Aloysius win over Cranbrook. And Waverley over Trinity. To be honest, I can't see an upset anywhere, but I suppose if it were predictable, it wouldn't be an upset.

Trinity and Waverley could be interesting. With all respect to Morris and Longville, Waverley has a clear edge in the backs, but if Trinity can keep the ball tight and starve Warley of lineout possession, it could be a close game.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Looking at the fixture lists for this week:

Barker: 18 rugby teams; 36 soccer teams
Trinity: 17 rugby teams; 30 soccer teams
Waverley: 23 rugby teams; 28 soccer teams

(Knox, Cranbrook, and Aloys do not seem to be on the public pages, so someone else may be able to post those numbers)

Conclusion - soccer is the dominant winter sport, AFL rising from a low base, and rugby is in free-fall.

Knox has 29 rugby teams (25 in 2015) and 36 soccer teams.

The changes from last year at Knox have been:

Opens have gone from 6 teams in 2015 to 7 in 2016.
16's have gone from 4 teams in 2015 to 5 in 2016 (had 6 at the start of the season but have cut the F's due to injury).
15's have gone from 5 teams in 2015 to 6 in 2016
14's have stayed at 4 teams from 2015-2016.
13's have gone from 6 teams in 2015 to 7 in 2016.

So:

The 2015 U13's have lost a team
The 2015 U14's have gained 2 teams
The 2015 U15's gained a team but have now stayed the same, and it's interesting that the Opens have gained a team considering the 2015 U16's was a smaller age group team wise than usual.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
To add to this interesting information there has I believe been a significant increase in the size of year 7 this year - I can't tell you the actual number but it is a big increase from the 180 in my year back in 72 - perhaps someone can provide the number of boys in year 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
From the Knox newsletter.
16 rugby games played against Cranbrook. 12-4 to Knox.
Additional fixtures against Waverley, Kings and Riverview

Knox 16Bs played Waverley for example and Opens 6/7 played Kings.

Unfortunately no decent table of results

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker v Knox... U15As Knox 26 Barker 21....U16As Knox 8 Barker 0...halftime in 2nds. Knox lead Barker 17/7

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Knox 7 Barker 0... Serious leg injury to Knox 3 Max Cutrone.. Game halted... Poor fella has not moved...

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Ambulance just leaving field... Max's ankle was pointing the wrong way.... Game will continue. Lights will be turned on. 27min of first half still to play.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Wave defeat Trinity 30-13, 2nds Waves win by 20+, 3rds by 40+. I don't think Trinity won a single game at home if I heard correctly..? 16A's win by 30+ aswell.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
2nd yellow card for Knox....they can coach good rugby players but sportsmanship needs addressing

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Good win for Waves over Trinity at Summer Hill.

Played some good rugby. Not the strongest forward pack, but efficient enough and the back line is excellent, with Jordan the stand out in the number 9 jersey.

S

sidelineview

It was a good day for Waverley
1sts Won 30-13
2nds 39-5
3rds 36-10
4ths 56-0
16As 38-8
15As Lost 7-10
14As Lost 0-55
13As 37-14

Status