• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done Waverly. Incredible game yesterday. I have never seen the 4, 5, 7 and 8 play rugby. But I'm sure I'll see them running around TV at some point in the future.

Well done Knox who played one of their best games all year as well. Armstrong was truly a weapon in attack and defense and will be a key player in 7's rugby for years to come.

As for Matt Williams, who didn't bother talking to his players after the game, who didn't turn up to the after match function and who as director of rugby, has Waverley clean sweep the opens and has the 16a's lose the Waverly 50-7. Well done.
Disgusting behaviour from Matt Williams if this is true. What does this teach his players (past, present and future)? Such a sore loser.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
With a forward pack like the one Knox has, how do they lose a lineout? They would have 3 of the tallest 4 players in all of CAS (with Rasch being the other one).

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Knox were noticeably bigger and taller in the forwards. Yet ironically "tossing up" light weight Ellis (6) to contest line outs was a master stroke.

The rolling maul never really got functioning. And Knox lineout had a rare off day.

A number of the Knox players had outstanding games in a losing team

The no 8 bassson was everywhere ... Did he miss Aussie schools selection?!

He sure can play.

Waverley showed the perfect passionate team effort ... It wasn't solo brilliance of mohi ... He either wasn't 100% fit and/or was well contained

It was just everyone stepping up ... Hassan (2) who I had been a little critical on, was great ... Moretti showed he is going to be a force to be reckon with ... Thru to 2018

O'sullivan , fuller, drew-Morris ... They all played so strong.

It really was a game where waverley's forwards had to step up, and they did.

Prop forward wright playing at 4 ... Would have given up close to 20 cms to nick frost ... 195cm+?

Not too sure who takes credit for waves conditioning ... I heard they were training out of whatshisnames gym ... Tahs player ..

Either way it was a great arm wrestle and while a shared title should not be assumed , you have to give credit it to all those passionate people that are currently seeing Waverley rugby on a high

Despite the shoe string budget, etc

And full credit to Knox , across the board they play a good brand of rugby and the 1sts took defeat very well

And for all the negative on the coach ... There is credit due imho

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
What a great day Saturday was for schoolboy rugby.

Credit must go to both schools for their performances on and off the field.

A special mention to the Waverley captain who played out of his skin. Imagine what could have happened if he played for Waverley last round. The true heart and soul of that team.

The coaches at Waverley have done a great job especially in the forwards, with this group that has never beaten Knox before. But I also think the result has come from years of hard work with the MIC of Waverley that has worked up at that school for many years.

Now they need to get their heads on for a big game at Cranbrook. They will be tough and hard to beat! Especially with the players like Searle, Stenmark and Kemmeny at their disposal.

I won't be there to watch but I'll be watching forums with great intent of the outcome.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
What a great day Saturday was for schoolboy rugby.

Credit must go to both schools for their performances on and off the field.

A special mention to the Waverley captain who played out of his skin. Imagine what could have happened if he played for Waverley last round. The true heart and soul of that team.

The coaches at Waverley have done a great job especially in the forwards, with this group that has never beaten Knox before. But I also think the result has come from years of hard work with the MIC of Waverley that has worked up at that school for many years.

Now they need to get their heads on for a big game at Cranbrook. They will be tough and hard to beat! Especially with the players like Searle, Stenmark and Kemmeny at their disposal.

I won't be there to watch but I'll be watching forums with great intent of the outcome.

Hard to beat? I wouldn't think so, tough team that could be a trap game - 100%.
The pressure is on the boys but after working so hard to get that win on the weekend I doubt Cranbrook will really be a problem and motivational will not be lacking I assure you, keep in mind they did put them away by 50 only a month or two ago..Three players (1 who made state rep) does not make a team.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the Knox game the Waverley coaches did a good job with "simple messaging" ... the one word call was COMPOSURE ... particularly as the game tightened up

against Cranbrook my word would be RESPECT

you always want to respect your opposition

while my understanding is that Kemeny is gone for the season ... I don't know if Stewart and Stenmark will be back

plus last game Searle went off injured early ... so if they face a fully fit Searle ... it won't be a repeat of the last encounter

and anything can happen on the day

Nigel Renton will be at home (Hordern), doing his usual yelling at the ref ... and who knows he might milk a red card or yellow

Cranbrook are well coached and have had some good wins

I gather Glastras from the 16s has been elevated ... so that will be interesting ... come scrum time.

Either way, Waverley needs to RESPECT them, and make sure they don't show ill-discipline now that they look like they have one hand on the shield

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree, although I thought respecting your opposition went without saying. It was epitomised on the weekend I thought between Knox and Waverley, and still at the after match function I saw boys chatting with others from the opposite team. Cornish and Coleman the coaches are too experienced in my opinion to let them slack off as you say 'with one hand on the shield', should be a ripper game and can't wait to have 2 or 3 of my favourite sausage sizzle in CAS.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
BM,SDW,Noregrets,NIS,wavestowin ect. Think we need to drop the shoe string budget bit vs others etc. The fact is that Waverley has won twice as many CAS Rugby premierships as its nearest rival Knox, since it joined the CAS in 1943. They are ALL private schools and have great/well and truely sufficient resources for their rugby at the moment.Waverley's will only get better when it's new gym is finished soon.

I do think we have all been around long enough to realise this epic game showed brilliant coaching/to defeat a very good side, and a team of boys who trusted in these coaches and backed themselves.Not that the Knox boys didn't,they did.BUT the mentoring was the difference, money does NOT buy this, and that's why many schools call it Death Valley, much to the "news" of many Waverley people!

From here on both schools should ensure it is a joint premiership.
A nice point is that the boys were more than happy to chat after the game, funny thing is that after school many of them will probably play/work together, and this is one of the major legacies of all this!

Cliche but on the day, Rugby was the winner!

S

sidelineview

The ''composure'' call was heard loud and clear at different times during the Knox game, and it was another good idea by the Waverley coaches. The Waverley team need it to settle them down every now and then. They needed a bit of that in the second half last time they played Knox.

The coaches have done a great job this year especially as two of their biggest and best forwards Pat Clifton and Eden Rogers-Smith were ruled out for the season.

I think the people running Waverley rugby this year have proven they're smart enough to keep the players feet on the ground going into the next two games. And its not just the 1sts that are vying for Premiership or Co-premiership honours. The 2nds, 3rds and 4ths are also in the same boat. All the Opens coaches are doing a great job this year and the playing depth is at an all time high.

I don't want to criticise the Knox coach and I'm not sure how he reacted after the game. He's not going to knock back gainful employment and a good salary, but Saturday's results proved the good old fashion teachers/coaches can do a great job, depending on who they are and the quality of the players they have in their squads. But they need to be dedicated, giving their time on top of everything else. They don't do it for the money.

Other factors come into play regarding a team's performance besides the coach's credentials. All schools including Knox aren't immune to that.

Waverley rugby and their coaches have been criticised in recent years when they weren't being too successful but they're travelling pretty good now. it's a cyclic thing. Aloys might be the team to beat in a couple of years.

Well done to both teams on the quality rugby played last Saturday.

S

sidelineview

The players from Waverley and Knox were friendly after the game because a lot of them are mates. They've been playing against each other for years and with each other in CAS Rep teams. They may be team mates again some time in future.

They're rivals and enemies on the field, and mates off it, and that's the way it should be. They build respect for each other through the way they compete.

And the truth is, the difference between available resources for each school to run their rugby programmes is very significant.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Not being affiliated with either Knox or Big W I was one of many who greeted news of the Big W win with a small, wry smile. Well done.

S

sidelineview

Waverley wont change their playing style for the last two games. They'll go out and throw the ball around and play their confident running style of rugby. The coaches wont change anything.

The thing is, they've grown in confidence with each game and they back themselves, each other and have confidence in their coaches. Whether it's Waverley or some other school team, it's pleasing to see. And it's confidence; they're not being cocky or arrogant. They're enjoying themselves and as a bonus they're entertaining the crowd.

At the start of the season names like Mohi, Jordan and Fuller were being mentioned a fair bit. Now any number of Waverley players could be mentioned in man of the match discussions. But it's their team work that's getting the top billing, and that includes the coaches.

Personally, I'm glad I'm getting to witness this. It's been a rocky road at times but now there's a resurgence; and Waverley are in contention for 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, 4ths and 16A Premiership honours.

Since the year 2000 Knox and Barker have won or shared in 6 Henry Plume Shields each; Waverley 4; Trinity 2 and Cranbrook 1.

It's a cyclic thing so enjoy it when it comes around.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
P.S. Sidelineview, Waverley will also win the 13a's, this side is unbeaten!
Their prep's (12's) and 11's have only lost 1 game all season between them, I appreciate it is junior school and lots can change come year 7, but it is still better to be in this position than not, and they are playing some of the GPS schools in their season, eg Scots, Iggies, and St. Augustine's as well.
So there is a strong 3 year run coming down the pipeline.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Plenty of solid talent comming through at Waverley but then the 15A's havent had a win this year and lost by 70 on the weekend I think I heard..Unsure what the 14s are like. Gotta take the good with the bad

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
a wet track .... the great equalizer!

Cranbrook would be wise to have the sprinklers going FULL BORE ... all the way until Saturday

even minus Kemeny, the Cranbrook forwards could go OK in the bog

I'd be giving Murphy half a game in 16As and have him fresh on the bench

and personally think Cranbrook is a bigger danger than Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.