• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Waverley will safley negotiate both Cranbrook and Barker. The Waverley team always gets a strong start and neither of these next two teams have the depth to come back from a quick 15 point deficit. Only Knox has shown it can but was unsuccessful at it last week.

Cranbrrok will miss Kemeny's ability to bend the advantage line, while Barker needs to show more consistency and eliminate simple errors which invariably turn into easy points for quality teams.

I think Waverley will will their last two games by 20 points each.

It will be interesting to see how Trinity goes against Knox. The Trinity backline has pace while any team with Liam Rasch in it should get some easy first phase possession.
The double V would love that game to be an upset..

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Waverley will safley negotiate both Cranbrook and Barker. The Waverley team always gets a strong start and neither of these next two teams have the depth to come back from a quick 15 point deficit. Only Knox has shown it can but was unsuccessful at it last week.

Cranbrrok will miss Kemeny's ability to bend the advantage line, while Barker needs to show more consistency and eliminate simple errors which invariably turn into easy points for quality teams.

I think Waverley will will their last two games by 20 points each.

It will be interesting to see how Trinity goes against Knox. The Trinity backline has pace while any team with Liam Rasch in it should get some easy first phase possession.
The double V would love that game to be an upset..

Personally I think Knox will bounce back this weekend , they are quality and if the 9 and 10 choose to keep the ball in hand instead of kicking at every opportunity the crowd may well see what the team are capable of with ball in hand.... we all know they can defend...Here's hoping the shackles are released and we see an exciting attacking display.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Upsets can happen, especially in the wet. But let's assume that Knox and Waverley win both of their remaining games. What happens then?

Does anyone know (for a fact, as opposed to speculating) what the CAS rule is? Will there be a joint premiership or will the teams on equal points be split by points difference? This could make a major difference to the way the two schools approach their last two matches.

S

sidelineview

According to the CAS website 2009 was the year the 10 week home and away competition was introduced. It was also the last time a joint premiership was awarded, coincidentally to Waverley and Knox.

So unless someone has changed the rules ..........

S

sidelineview

According to the CAS website 2009 was the year the 10 week home and away competition was introduced. It was also the last time a joint premiership was awarded, coincidentally to Waverley and Knox.

So unless someone has changed the rules ..........

but as a matter of interest Knox are ahead on points differential by 11 points.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
It has never been on points difference. Always a shared premiership if points are equal.

There was a year (I think 2004) during the 'one-round' years when they introduced bonus points and there was a joint title between Barker and Waverley, even though Barker were undefeated, because Waverley accumulated a tonne of bonus points.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Got to say I was pumped for Waverley rugby and particularly the 1sts after Saturday.

However the week had me pondering comments that Waverley has some great age groups coming through

I got to say I have seen it all before

And the story doesn't always read like this years fairytale

Personally I see so many kids who do great at a variety of things at WavCol... From sporting endeavours to academic

With the former unfortunately being the more common... At least of late

However it sometimes feels like the school jumps all over any success, sharing in the glory

However invariably kids have got good almost entirely external to the school

Whether it be the rugby star that has developed skills in Harold matts

Or the tennis star or shot put champ that has been doing all sorts of things

Now I don't expect any school to hand anything to kids on a platter

But my pet peev is the way Waverley to me doesn't set a great work ethic

A drop of rain and everything is cancelled

A general slack attitude ... Is it a broader Aussie trait

Yes I know council grounds , a closed gym, shoe string budget , overworked teachers etc

But what about running around the block, finding some other way to burn off some steam

Anyway heading into games against cranbrook this weekend lets just say a few teams are a bit underdone

Oh well ... Ignore me ... I was one of those blokes that loved training ... And maybe i am a relic ...

Got my rose coloured glasses on re some great brothers that I was privileged to be educated by

But if some of these red hot age groups fizzle out, don't say I didn't say so, or at least warn of complacency

It's one thing to have the talent

Oh well this years firsts I can sure say has shown both the talent and the hard yakka

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
I think you kinda answered your own question SonnyDill, in the younger years you can only have so many people playing on Queens Park on a wet training day before you come Saturday and the ground is torn up and people will start complaining. Not to mention you take up three parking spots at the top of the pavilion for Mr Paxton and the visiting headmaster and sportsmaster and you get put on Today Tonight for taking up the three spots for 6 hours on a Saturday... Educate yourself, sure its been raining, you think the firsts have been sitting on their arse twidling their fingers? I know they have been in the new gym doing lineouts and other jazz this week. Today, the 1sts, 2nds and 3rds all still trained..And they are all on track to win the title..Rarely disagree with you but you've got it wrong

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am not saying unleash the 13s thru 16s onto QP

I think everyone from the 13As to 13Gs has to be given

Something else to do... Every time rain prevents the usual practise

run up and down stairs, push-ups on the basketball court, etc.. Where is the creativity

That's what they do at joeys ... Flights of stairs

And this single minded focus on the firsts ... I don't get it ... Yes it sets the benchmark the good example ... But to me the sole reason sport is so critical as part of a well rounded education ,

...is that nerdy kid in the 13Gs , he needs to learn how to be part of a team too

Because chances are he could be the kid , that one day is the lead surgeon, and he's in charge of the surgical team

And frankly he's your best bet , of a successful cardiac operation

Yes, maybe I am wrong ... But it doesnt feel like it

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Theres only be one round rained out so far and I would say less than four trainings this year, they are getting plenty of rugby training done, and they can pursue team leadership in their five practical PDHPE periods every eight days. Getting the 13G's to run up stairs is far fetched, they are their to have fun, maybe not played rugby before getting a taste for it, and they are not elite athletes at this point - an extreme example.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Talk about declining school boy rugby participation and we want to mindlessly send 13 year old G grade players up stairs all training..

How can you talk about the creativity of the session, I wasn't there, you weren't there, the could have been climbing the brick walls for all we know for increased grip strength, Joeys can use that one

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
If Waverley win their 1sts-4ths, which is looking likely. There will be 4 players out of 60 that played in the league program over the summer.

I hope the school doesn't try "Jump over any success and share in that glory." Instead they should invite the junior league coaches to come up and appear in every team photo as thanks for all their hard work.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
4 of 60. 1 per team. Maybe the success had something to do with the other 14? Hardly resounding evidence of league supremacy no?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK OK ... I am wrong, you are all right

a few new faces at Roosters central .. under 16s .... they much just look like Waverley kids

anyway I wasn't talking about the lure of league, or about QP

and I wasn't bagging the hard working people in the Waves rugby programme

anyway my nephew is in a lower Joeys team, and his Dad told me he is having his first ever game against Waverley on Saturday

just hope the Waverley lads put up a good show ... as pretty sure they haven't trained all week

anyway back to normal programming
my mail is the following are missing from Cranbrook team ... Kemeny, Stenmark, Stewart, Burston ... to name the best known

so tipping Waves 30+

Up and under

Stan Wickham (3)
If Waverley win their 1sts-4ths, which is looking likely. There will be 4 players out of 60 that played in the league program over the summer.

I hope the school doesn't try "Jump over any success and share in that glory." Instead they should invite the junior league coaches to come up and appear in every team photo as thanks for all their hard work.

What a ridiculous comment William 88.

From my observations,sometimes the league boys are the weak link in their rugby team due to their lack of rugby experience and knowhow.

And to state that 4 league boys out of 60 have contributed to Waverley's success this year is stretching it a bit.You must be one of the league coaches you are talking about !!

Their success is more down to the hard-working rugby coaches at the school,their intensive pre-season strength and conditioning programme and the great camaraderie amongst all the boys.Their is great depth in the Opens this year,many who have played numerous years of club and rep junior rugby for their district.

The only coaches who should appear in the team's photos are the actual school coaches who deserve all the kudos !!

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
What a ridiculous comment William 88.

From my observations,sometimes the league boys are the weak link in their rugby team due to their lack of rugby experience and knowhow.

!!

Weak Link?? Jordan, Fuller, Mohi , Yoannidis , Rodgers - Smith, thought they played fairly well this year.

S

sidelineview

League boys can be a weakness until they get the hang of the game and then they're a real asset as proven this year with Waverley.
Quite a few kids in the Eastern Suburbs grow up playing league then go to Waverley and start to play rugby. They're usually good tacklers but take time to learn the new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.