• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow ... how good were barker forwards. They should count them selves very unlucky..... Waverley could barely win a lineout, and struggled to bend the line without 2 heavyweights

Waverley courage tipped an excellent barker team effort

Knox will have a game on their hands

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^

Or a scrum.

Missing Wright was very noticable.

They need his size for that set piece.

Barker also played a very forward focused game with a lot of pick and drive, I wonder if that was as a result of no Moretti and Wright playing?

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Looking forward -

Nexts weeks Knox/Barker game will be huge.

Home ground advantage could tip the winner.

But I think Barker could take the cake with a performance similar to the one they played today.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
^^^

Or a scrum.

Barker also played a very forward focused game with a lot of pick and drive, I wonder if that was as a result of no Moretti and Wright playing?

W88,

There was no doubt that the barker coach pin pointed an opportunity, without those 2 boys, as any good coach would, and it nearly worked.

Its obvious but quite amazing what a difference a couple of key players can make, however the boys that stepped up still delivered big time.

The difference was that the large Barker pack controlled to ball, and we defended like nothing else I have seen for a long while.

In previous games our back line gets enough ball and that's the ball game, today this didn't happen.

Full credit to all the boys on both sides.

Another classic school boy rugby game.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
axel, how did your 14as go today?
Hi WLF, 14a's beat Aloy's 45-0. Very stop start affair, with each scrum taking 1 to 2 mins because of a particularly pedantic ref. The boys found their groove in the 2nd half.
How did your boys go V's Barker today?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi WLF, 14a's beat Aloy's 45-0. Very stop start affair, with each scrum taking 1 to 2 mins because of a particularly pedantic ref. The boys found their groove in the 2nd half.
How did your boys go V's Barker today?

Same thing, we did win 50+, that was the score posted but I think that was close to the half time score, but you know I think those sorts of games tell you nothing about the real strength of your team because there are lots of substitutes and things become sloppy.

We beat Aloys similar but the penalty count nearly beat our score, and we didn't win that count.

Apparently Trinity beat Barker by 80, and the Barker parents think Trinity are unbeatable.

I know you know different, suspect Trinity are good against perhaps not so good teams.

Thoughts?

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Same thing, we did win 50+, that was the score posted but I think that was close to the half time score, but you know I think those sorts of games tell you nothing about the real strength of your team because there are lots of substitutes and things become sloppy.

We beat Aloys similar but the penalty count nearly beat our score, and we didn't win that count.

Apparently Trinity beat Barker by 80, and the Barker parents think Trinity are unbeatable.

I know you know different, suspect Trinity are good against perhaps not so good teams.

Thoughts?
I think with Trinity, if you don't stand up to their forwards early on, they lay a good platform for their 2 quite good backs. Our boys knocked them over early, and they lost any spark they had. I'm sure your boys will do the same next week. So if we can beat Barker next week, it sets up a nice final game for both Knox and Waves.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
So Barker vs Waverley results for the day:

1sts: 15-14 Waverley
2nds: 31-19 Waverley
16a's: 7 all draw
15a's: 17-12 Waverley
14a's: 55-0 Waverley
13a's: 36-5 Waverley

Barker's year to gain the Henry Plume is possibly next year, with the possibility of still equalling for this year as well.. They will also have an extremely strong team next year with nearly all this years firsts team returning.

Waverley has a weak 16a's, but Knox has a very good 16a's team. Some good competition for years to come.

S

sidelineview

^^^

Or a scrum.

So that was Barker's cunning plan: to play the game through the forwards; not to employ a kicking game; and it very nearly paid off.

I wasnt at the game, so I cant comment but the Barker forwards must be impressive.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
About 10 I believe. I did predict in an earlier thread a Barker forwards pick and drive game but my prediction was not based on an absence of Wright and Moretti but more to keep the ball away from chaps like Bell Donaldson and Hardaker if possible. As it turns out Barker hung onto possession for dear life and put in play some excellent phases. But the defence was simply as good as it gets IMHO

S

sidelineview

About 10 I believe. I did predict in an earlier thread a Barker forwards pick and drive game but my prediction was not based on an absence of Wright and Moretti but more to keep the ball away from chaps like Bell Donaldson and Hardaker if possible. As it turns out Barker hung onto possession for dear life and put in play some excellent phases. But the defence was simply as good as it gets IMHO

You got it right then, but did Lloyd get any ball?

10 returning ... it makes the effort even more impressive.
Knox will want to be on their game next week.

No guessing who the early favourites are for next season.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
For Waverley seconds number 4 Eden Rogers Smith dominated the forward play. I would have played him in the 1's due to his size and skill. For Barker 1's I think Sam Chalmers had an outstanding game. He was everywhere man

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^

He looked dangerous when he had the ball though. Broke through several tackles each time. Showed how much he is a valuable player for his Australian team.

It would have been interesting if Barker had tried to use the ball a bit more. There focus on the pick and drive was an obvious game plan.

No risk footy at a time when they knew they couldn't make a mistake and give the ball to the opposition, but the defensive effort was something we probably won't witness again from a team at schoolboy level. This Waverley team is something else in defence and attack.

Waverley defended their line for nearly the whole first half. Barker just pick and drove and pick and drove. They never stopped.

They came out of that firsts half with 7 points - that's where Waverley won the game. Defense is the most important part of any team. Waverley showed it and then some.

WHat a game.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
It's the type of game that reminds you why you like rugby.

Two teams giving absolutely everything in the battle.

The respect between the teams as they clapped each other off.

No controversy.

It will be spoken about for years to come.

They should charge entry fees to schoolboy rugby after that game.

THE wallabies could Learn from that game about what's it takes.

B

Backline_Move

Rod and W88,

Great game it sounds like.

But everyone knows as you were just battling it out for second place.

The real competition is us- you know it.

Let the games begin.

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I think with Trinity, if you don't stand up to their forwards early on, they lay a good platform for their 2 quite good backs. Our boys knocked them over early, and they lost any spark they had. I'm sure your boys will do the same next week. So if we can beat Barker next week, it sets up a nice final game for both Knox and Waves.

Thanks axel,

I would give you some intel about Barker, but you will be fine, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like Trinity are much the same as last year, I think our issue, which I think you experienced last year, is injuries.

We have several key players out for the season, and indeed we have had 5-6 players out in every game we have played this year, but that's rugby.

Hope its a play off for us in the final game at Knox.

Same for the 1st XV but be careful the Barker pack is big and they were on their game against us. But that also may have been their grand final, we also had 2 key forwards out.

If all goes to plan it will be a super Saturday across several age groups.

Cheers WLF

Status
Not open for further replies.