• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
It makes a big difference to the team. Enables hardaker to move wider.

Gives you a backline of

10. Donaldson
11. Wallace
12. Cornish
13. Murphy
14. Hardaker
15. Still an issue- but apparently there is a new kid at the school from SA that is very good as well.

S

sidelineview

It makes a big difference to the team. Enables hardaker to move wider.

Gives you a backline of

10. Donaldson
11. Wallace
12. Cornish
13. Murphy
14. Hardaker
15. Still an issue- but apparently there is a new kid at the school from SA that is very good as well.

Wouldn't Towns take one of those spots ?

Positional play in defence in the centres can be a big challenge at 1sts level

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm with Sideline. OC in particular is a difficult position to defend in. The Knox backline will not be unhappy running at Murphy in space

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So NSW Schoolboy Rugby boffins .......

I start by saying that I know very little about the quality of , what would seem , to be the two primary schoolboy competitions ( AAGPS and CAS )

Quality , in the context , of how these two competitions line up against each other. Does one competition run deeper than the other ?

I know each competition have Schools that can lay claim to a rich Rugby history ( some deeper than others ) but.......in the current state of play, if you were to , theoretically , re-shuffle the competitions , who would be the Top 10 in Sydney Schoolboy Rugby ?

1. Opens
2. 16's
3. 15's

Thank you in advance for those who care to indulge me in my quest to get a basic handle on this - I look forward to your opinions

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^^^

I think it's hard to say who is the top 10.

But you also have to include ISA in the discussion and they have a strong rugby history as well.

But I think you could make tiers.

Tier 1.

Opens:

Scots - will likely always be in tier 1
Joeys - will likely always be in tier 1
Newington - will likely always be in tier 1
Riverview - will likely always be in tier 1
Kings - will likely always be in tier 1
Knox - will likely move between tier 1 and 2
Waverley - will likely move between tier 1 and 2
St Augustines - will likely always be in tier 1
Oak hill College - will likely move between tier 1 and 2

Tier 2.

Shore m
Barker
Trinity -
St Patrick's
St Stanislaus College
Kinross Wolaroi

Tier 3

Cranbrook
St Aloysius
St Gregory's

****Not a complete list***

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
yes, I have heard that there is a new kid in year 11, a handy cricketer ... straight out of deepest darkest S Africa ... kids can barely decipher his accent

and while my info is sketchy, he (Scherer?) might be a contender for the 15 spot

I see James Mood who ably filled the 15 jersey last year, got a pretty good ATAR (95)

impressive!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
on the idea of Murphy into the centres ... that had me pondering injury stats

if memory serves me correctly, the positions with the highest injury rates are flankers and front rowers ..... while the lowest injury rate, is the outer backs (outside centres, wingers & fullbacks)

In the backs, the big injury tends to be a high rate of concussions for the fly half, as run-away buses tend to collect the unsighted "pretty-boy"

and the scrum half tends to cop a bit too, as they are generally a pest, and frankly often deserve it

so not sure if it is mainly a shoulder injury that has afflicted Tadg Murphy ... but maybe outside centre might be a good idea ... as contrary to some assertions he ain't that big ... he was in year 7, but in the Opens .....up against some of the backrowers floating around (particularly out of Knox), I'd categorise him more as short and stocky :confused:

S

sidelineview

on the idea of Murphy into the centres . that had me pondering injury stats

if memory serves me correctly, the positions with the highest injury rates are flankers and front rowers ... while the lowest injury rate, is the outer backs (outside centres, wingers & fullbacks)

In the backs, the big injury tends to be a high rate of concussions for the fly half, as run-away buses tend to collect the unsighted "pretty-boy"

and the scrum half tends to cop a bit too, as they are generally a pest, and frankly often deserve it

so not sure if it is mainly a shoulder injury that has afflicted Tadg Murphy . but maybe outside centre might be a good idea . as contrary to some assertions he ain't that big . he was in year 7, but in the Opens ...up against some of the backrowers floating around (particularly out of Knox), I'd categorise him more as short and stocky :confused:

Murphy has a recovering shoulder injury, but he is as big and as strong as Moretti. Over 6 foot and built.

..... played Opens in Year 7 ? ?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sideline, I didn't say he played opens in year 7. You look at the pic of the 13As... several year back... and he (Murphy) is biggest by a country mile ... at least going by memory.

Fast forward 4 years, Moretti is way bigger, and has grown more.. he would be 6ft2....anyway stupid conversation

The point is Murphy , one way or another , tadg has been a bit injury prone

And he has sublime skills ... and an awesome work rate ... and you need him out there... so thought needs to be how to use his skills without exposing Him to a season ender

S

sidelineview

Sideline, I didn't say he played opens in year 7. You look at the pic of the 13As. several year back. and he is biggest by a country mile . at least going by memory. Moretti is way bigger, and has grown more.. he would be 6ft2..anyway stupid conversation

The point is Murphy , one way or another , has been a bit injury prone

And he has sublime skills . and an awesome work rate . and you need him out there. so I think thought needs to be how to use his skills without exposing
Him to a season ender

OK, I misunderstood.

Point taken; they might be looking at him to play in the centres because of his injury concerns.

Sorry but No, not way bigger. Moretti's a bit taller but both big boys and well built.

B

Backline_Move

Frost was offered a spot in 1st XV in year 9. Outstanding athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.