• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Would like to hear what went wrong. Expected much closer than that.

According to the report the Waves were up to their old tricks, giving a lot of penalties away.
''More than 20 penalties''.
That's too much of a head start to give quality teams.

They were also without Murphy, Rogers-Smith and Hardaker.

They did however, win the second half.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Shore had much the better of the first half but only led 10-5 at oranges.
They had a much better attacking structure than Barker, whose own attack was nullified by giving away penalties when in sight of the try line. Lineouts thrown in by Shore included well executed decoy movements and the scrums were even. Barker forwards looked out on their feet leading into half time, with very little effort being made to get into position during phase play. This led to Shore going close to scoring on two further occasions only to be grounded on the blade of grass before the try line.

The second half was a reversal of form. Barker stopped giving away so many penalties and Shore was plagued with poor decision making during their attacking moments. They turned over too much ball in this stanza. Barker forwards stated to make good meters through heavy traffic, one such barnstorming run leading to the winning try.

In a 3-try each game, both sides seemed well matched in an equitable contest. Shore's 5/8 used his long pass wisely and on the one occasion he ran, he scored under the posts. His conversion slammed into the upright. No goal.

The question "is it a trial or a competition game" was answered in two ways. Shore turned down at least two sitters: penalties in front of the sticks were used to set a scrum or line out, while Barker moved to 15-15 on the back of a 3 pointer.

Barker has some size and speed and will be competitive all season as long as they bring their A game from the opening whistle 'till full time.

Agree with this. Shore number 12 was a handful in attack and exposed some back line weaknesses. Barkers lineout was disappointing to say the least and the silly mistakes in general play cost them dearly in penalties. Reimer (number 8) showed why he is team captain, rallying the troops and making some fierce and punishing runs up the middle. He is very difficult to stop once he gets more than a few steps away. I thought Barker showed better conditioning towards the close of the second half as Shore seemed to slow the pace a bit. Overall it was a fairly even contest and enjoyable to watch.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Knox v Kings might be interesting then

It will be a very good game. If Knox keep the ball in the forwards they will be deadly, Waverley should have on the weekend as they had ascendency in the pack. Kings have some quality players who are hard to stop.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sideline, Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the game ... unfortunately I was unable to attend, and that is a shame as Kings has truly magnificent grounds.

My mail was that Hardaker and Rogers Smith were picked in the Roosters SG Ball team, that went down to Parramatta.

So presuming that Waverley will be closer to full strength against Shore.

How did Whiteman go? Interesting that Szabo was relegated to 2nds

What was result ion 13As, as I gather Waverley has a pretty star studded 13s team , featuring at least 2 sons of former wallabies?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know whether the Rooters place demands on SG Ball players? I have no idea with all the paper bag money flying around Bond Junction, whether some of the Waverley kids have demands placed on them?

For all I know there could be a few kids having school fees paid by NRL clubs, as has been the case at Newington and other schools

Either way unless I am mistaken Mungo commitments are now over :mad:

S

sidelineview

I didnt attend any games SDW but it sounds like discipline and penalties are Waves biggest concerns moving forward. Not an unusual occurance early in the season.

I think there's an amicable relationship between the Roosters and Waverley.
Sounds like they will be back to full strength next week.

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
What was result ion 13As, as I gather Waverley has a pretty star studded 13s team , featuring at least 2 sons of former wallabies?

I believe Waverley trounced Kings in the 13As I saw at least 4 trys in the second half.

Results were reversed in the 14As and Bs though, with comprehensive wins to Kings in both.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Just some further qualitative comments on the Shore/Barker game.

This was a very entertaining and close game, with both sides having the talent to win it.

Shore have a excellent set piece. Their line out and scrum was robust and 1st phase play was error free. Their front row is topnotch and they have speed and skill in the backs with Max Sinclair (10) and Dom Walker (13) standouts and yet another speed demon Blake Rixon (younger brother of Luke who was the standout at last years Nationals) at fullback.

They team combined well, and along with Barker giving away too many simple penalties, Shore had plenty of possession to show their considerable skills.

It was no surprise they were leading 10 nil at half time.

Where they need some work is defensively up the middle along with showing a bit more vigor at the breakdown.

Any GPS team who takes Shore for granted this year will be regret it.

Barker on the other hand are this years big improvers. The blooding of many year 10 lads last year has paid dividends and the open squad clearly has depth. (Barker won the 2nds and the 16As against Shore)

Reimer (8) is inspirational, being a brick wall in defense and an absolute mongrel with ball in hand as well as being a level headed Capt.

The make shift front row is still a work in progress in the set piece, but around the park and defensively, Charlmers, Wilson and Melchor are providing some real starch to this pack. With Flarherty (4) Weymouth (6) and Hutton (7) the Barker forwards are can now compete.

With Pollard (6 or 3) learning the game, and Mack Northcott (5) (to return from injury) Barker has a nice squad of forwards to be competitive.

Complimenting the forwards is the seeing how much the backs have improved. With Tejcak (9) providing great service to a back line that has some real speed. Van Woerkom (13) Lloyd (15) and Galloway (11) are all speedsters and are willing to take on the defense.

With a forward pack that retains possession, the Barker backs now have the confidence to run the ball, with the Reds returning kickoffs ball in hand to regain field position. This has been a point of difference lacking over the past 3 years of Barker Rugby.

Galloway (11) is a real talent and will no doubt be a handful when he reaches year 12 in 2019, with speed aggression and a determination to contain his opposite number.

Of course it is still early days, and with only one round of CAS rugby this year, the results of the big games against Waverley (at Hornsby) and Knox (at Warrawee), will be binary. No second chances.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Rod I think Barker no 9 was Tom Williams.I think Tejcak is playing in the 2nds for the moment. The Barker fullback is Will Lloyd

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod I think Barker no 9 was Tom Williams.I think Tejcak is playing in the 2nds for the moment. The Barker fullback is Will Lloyd

Yes you are correct. Barker is blessed at halfback with both Tom and David being 1st XV grade. They swapped just after halftime. David had a fantastic match in the two's and played brilliantly when he came on in the 1sts.

Its going to make things interesting for the coach. Nice problem to have.

Also Will Lloyd played a cracker at 15. He is running with confidence. Remember Jayden Kitchener had the weekend off and is set to return.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
It's great to see a strong Barker this year. The match up North against Knox could be the deciding game of the CAS comp. lots to work on for both teams till then but it will be a very good match.

The strength of Barker and Knox also means some good things for the CAS comp and higher selections this year. CAS should be pushing for further NSW and possibly even higher selections.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm not getting over-excited about Trinity's prospects based on the weekend's result. It was a pretty healthy day for Trinity: wins in the 1sts, 16As and 16Bs and I think a draw in the 2nds. Even so, the 1sts display left lots of room for improvement. The captain and 9, Cooper Chambers, was harassed by his opposite number and was repeatedly caught in possession. That suggests either that he's too slow to clear the ball, or that his forwards don't give him decent ball to work with, or both. Trinity could have scored more tries but for some loose handling and turnover ball when it was well on attack (one of the props had the ball jolted from his grasp as he was running over the line out wide). At least once, the back line executed a move in which they were virtually all stationary when they received the ball: it looked very rusty. St Pat's, to be truthful, didn't have much to offer beyond one-out forward barges and a strong runner at 12. Positives: Hollingworth-Dessent scored a couple of good tries, and his speed is a real weapon. 12 Payne had a great game, running very hard, and 15 Ilias was elusive. 10 Edmed controlled traffic nicely. In the forwards, 1 and 3 both enjoyed running the ball and made good ground.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Anyone got the one round CAS draw? to view home and away games?
CAS Rd1 isn't till June.

Only schedule I've seen in this thread has been for Knox. Remaining games:
6th May v Kings - H
13th May v Newingtown - H
20th May v Scots - A
27th May v Joeys - A
3rd June v Cranbrook - A
17th June v Trinity - A
22nd July v Aloys - H
29th July v Barker - H
5th August v Waverley - A

Final game at Death Valley could very well be a decider

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was anyone at grammar vs aloys, be keen to hear a match report

look not much to say other than its at this stage its a little difficult to gauge the standard. Aloy's played well but more to be learnt this weekend against Barker. No superstars but a well drilled team that seem to be enjoying their rugby and that surely is the whole idea.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Sideline, Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the game . unfortunately I was unable to attend, and that is a shame as Kings has truly magnificent grounds.

My mail was that Hardaker and Rogers Smith were picked in the Roosters SG Ball team, that went down to Parramatta.

So presuming that Waverley will be closer to full strength against Shore.

How did Whiteman go? Interesting that Szabo was relegated to 2nds

SDW,

I was at the 14a's and 1st XV game and will you give my thoughts along with discussion had with other spectators.

Firstly ALL credit to Kings, they were very well drilled, came fully prepared, and deserved every win.
A common view held in most of our younger A teams was that the waves initially had headlights in their eyes. Kings took full advantage scored several early tries, game over. Then we warmed into the contest and in some of these games won the second half.

Time will tell from now on as we play the other GPS teams, in terms of what we learnt.

It is my opinion that we start training in the lower age groups WAY too late for the beginning of the season. I know the Knox 14 A/B group started training at the end of last year,and I suspect so do the GPS schools, we started only recently.
So what happens in most years is we lose the first couple of games, then build into a strong unit as the season endures.

In the 14a game it was over in the first 15 minutes. Kings exploded out of the blocks scoring 3 tries, game over. The final try count was something like 5/6-2, we actually won the second half, however they were too good.
The Kings sides is very solid, very well coached and has a number of solid players BUT there is 1 boy who is the most talented young player I have ever seen. Probably 9-100kgs, 6"3, the fastest school boy I have seen, is their kicker and also plays league, so tackles like an NRL player, he is unbelieveable, and good luck to him and Kings.
I hope we keep him in Rugby.
I can't see any school beating this Kings team if he plays!
He wouldn't look out of place in the 16A's or 1st XV bench, and he is in
year 8.
We should have scored 2 more tries but he alone stopped us,score 1 himself, set up all the other Kings tries and kicked their goals.

The 13A team is very strong, they beat Kings 55-7, and did similar to Riverview several weeks ago, they are very well coached, do have some Wallaby bood lines, along with many other seriously talented boys, watch them go!

In the 1st XV, again Kings were balanced, well drilled, almost mistake free.
I have seen our team play several games this year and last, and I think we all agree it was 1 of those days you can have where nothing went well.
We dropped the ball almost every time we had it, therefore blew a number of chances that we would almost always take, and gave away way too many penalties, so never got going.
All credit to the opposition, but many of these mistakes were unforced.

Yes we had a few key players out, as you mentioned, I am also not a fan of this league position, as you need your top side to beat the GPS and other top CAS schools.

I believe we will see a complete turnaround from here on in,as we have too many quality players.

Enough said but let's see what happens going forward.

If anyone saw things differently, keen to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.