• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Cracking second half from Knox -- down 0-13 at oranges, put on 24 unanswered points in the second half with 2 particularly enterprising tries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. First half was all Kings who deservedly would have had 85% of possession and barely left the Knox 22. They were very well disciplined, had great speed off the line and were fierce at the breakdown, winning multiple turnovers and securing their own multi-phase possession. Despite this, Knox for the second week scrambled bravely in defence and Kings only scored one try. You knew Kings were taking it seriously when they took a late penalty goal rather than kick for touch and seek another try. The Knox scrum was dominant but that was about all.

Second half was a completely different story. The expansive Knox re-emerged and they started to value possession and played some enterprising attacking rugby. As against View last week, Nick Frost scored twice within 10 mins and, despite being down to 14 men with a yellow card, Knox took the lead 14-13. Further enterprising tries to no. 8 Dan Garing and no. 7 Jono Stenning off a very clever blind side switch from Garing from the back of a Knox scrum 15 out from the Kings line sealed the win.

The pleasing thing again was the quality of rugby across the program. I think Knox won 16As, (not sure re 8ths -6ths), tied 5ths, won 4ths, lost 3rds, were right in 2nds until 10 to go and won firsts and it was all enterprising and entertaining rugby by both schools. A very enjoyable day out.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Absolutely. First half was all Kings who deservedly would have had 85% of possession and barely left the Knox 22. They were very well disciplined, had great speed off the line and were fierce at the breakdown, winning multiple turnovers and securing their own multi-phase possession. Despite this, Knox for the second week scrambled bravely in defence and Kings only scored one try. You knew Kings were taking it seriously when they took a late penalty goal rather than kick for touch and seek another try. The Knox scrum was dominant but that was about all.

Second half was a completely different story. The expansive Knox re-emerged and they started to value possession and played some enterprising attacking rugby. As against View last week, Nick Frost scored twice within 10 mins and, despite being down to 14 men with a yellow card, Knox took the lead 14-13. Further enterprising tries to no. 8 Dan Garing and no. 7 Jono Stenning off a very clever blind side switch from Garing from the back of a Knox scrum 15 out from the Kings line sealed the win.

The pleasing thing again was the quality of rugby across the program. I think Knox won 16As, (not sure re 8ths -6ths), tied 5ths, won 4ths, lost 3rds, were right in 2nds until 10 to go and won firsts and it was all enterprising and entertaining rugby by both schools. A very enjoyable day out.

Great news for Knox. Also very exciting for Frost, appears to
Be having a great season already and will be a big force for CAS and further in the upcoming trial season.

CAS is looking strong with Barker, Knox and Waverley having some strong showings. Hopefully the strength of those teams can help make CAS a force in the trial season. Can't get ahead of themselves though.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
What a difference a week makes, as they say in politics, except school boy rugby is far more interesting!

Last week the waves 1sts v Kings were let's say, not switched on, hopefully that's the game you put behind you.

Today well IMO the real side arose.

The Shore side came out and were solid, the first half was close-ish but Waverley did blow a few chances in the last pass occasions.
Shore definitely did not go away all all day.
All credit to the Shore boys.

Not sure what the waves coaches said at half time,can only imagine BUT the team that we all saw in the first 5 games of the season emerged.

The forwards were switched on and the backs well, superb.
It smacked of classic Randwick running rugby which is typically the way Waverley likes to play.

I think we ALL agree but school boy rugby is the best you will ever see!

Next week the waves take on Joeys at Joeys, who defeated Scots at Scots today.

I am told that it is compulsory for All the Joeys students to attend the game.
It is the first time we have played Joeys in 40 years, I know because I was lucky enough to play in that last game.

Think a BIG crowd approaches.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
WLF Waverley used to play Joeys every year before the ten round season which I think began in 2011?

So Waverley played Joeys last about ten years ago.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF Waverley used to play Joeys every year before the ten round season which I think began in 2008.

So Waverley played Joeys last about ten years ago.

Sorry W88,

I stand corrected you are right but let me dream!

I was close-ish!

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
i didn't see last week but this week was certainly entertaining. I do think that home ground counts for a lot more in schoolboy rugby than elsewhere but it was a very Randwick-esque performance from Waves. Support players aplenty, high intensity with occasional high risk that didn't come off in the first half but did in the second. I'd watch good schoolboy rugby than the turgid Super series any day of the week.

What a difference a week makes, as they say in politics, except school boy rugby is far more interesting!

Last week the waves 1sts v Kings were let's say, not switched on, hopefully that's the game you put behind you.

Today well IMO the real side arose.

The Shore side came out and were solid, the first half was close-ish but Waverley did blow a few chances in the last pass occasions.
Shore definitely did not go away all all day.
All credit to the Shore boys.

Not sure what the waves coaches said at half time,can only imagine BUT the team that we all saw in the first 5 games of the season emerged.

The forwards were switched on and the backs well, superb.
It smacked of classic Randwick running rugby which is typically the way Waverley likes to play.

I think we ALL agree but school boy rugby is the best you will ever see!

Next week the waves take on Joeys at Joeys, who defeated Scots at Scots today.

I am told that it is compulsory for All the Joeys students to attend the game.
It is the first time we have played Joeys in 40 years, I know because I was lucky enough to play in that last game.

Think a BIG crowd approaches.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker is scheduled to be playing Grammar next weekend but the powers that be have changed things with Barker 1sts now taking on Scotts 2nds.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Barker is scheduled to be playing Grammar next weekend but the powers that be have changed things with Barker 1sts now taking on Scotts 2nds.

Hey Rod,

I am glad about this game change, OBVIOUSLY Barker are way better than
tier 2. Don't forget eventually/soon really we will play in our CAS comp, as will the GPS schools. (Which is tremendous and as it should be)

I think this change may take a few years to bed down but for the long term good, and teams abilities will vary every year.
No one is great every year.

I hope there is a relegation/promotion system for the various groups.

Anyway Barker are looking good!

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Hey Rod,

tier 2. Don't forget eventually/soon really we will play in our CAS comp, as will the GPS schools. (Which is tremendous and as it should be)

I think this change may take a few years to bed down but for the long term good, and teams abilities will vary every year.

So who is Grammar playing? They didn't do badly against Cranbrook

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
It's great to see the camaraderie between Waverley, Barker and Knox supporters in overseeing the defeat of the common foe, the dreaded AAGPS.

Not since before the Reformation have the said tribes been so much on side

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Interesting outcome Rod. Who then do Scots 1sts play? And who do the 2nds team from that opponent school play? The way Barker seem to be travelling it's a shame they are not playing Scots 1sts. Not saying they would win necessarily, but it would give them a real gauge of where that are at.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The organisers of both CAS and GPS have a tough task. They want to avoid 50 to 100 point blow outs and potential injuries while respecting the history tradition and rivalries of both comps and the participating schools. Each school if it has a non scholarship or selective student program will have good years and bad years. Barker is a good example of that. Schools like Aloys always suffer a bit due to lower student numbers, while Grammar and High have a clear focus on academics. I don't have the answer but I think the intent of the organisers are sound. Remember a lot of teams don't go past the 3rds so the sports masters scratch around for games for those lads. And their game is just as important as the first XV as far as the individual student and the paying parents are concerned. There was some good rugby played yesterday in the schools comp. Much more entertaining and engaging than the Tahs.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
The organisers of both CAS and GPS have a tough task. They want to avoid 50 to 100 point blow outs and potential injuries while respecting the history tradition and rivalries of both comps and the participating schools. Each school if it has a non scholarship or selective student program will have good years and bad years. Barker is a good example of that. Schools like Aloys always suffer a bit due to lower student numbers, while Grammar and High have a clear focus on academics. I don't have the answer but I think the intent of the organisers are sound. Remember a lot of teams don't go past the 3rds so the sports masters scratch around for games for those lads. And their game is just as important as the first XV as far as the individual student and the paying parents are concerned. There was some good rugby played yesterday in the schools comp. Much more entertaining and engaging than the Tahs.

It also helps develop more rugby players by having to play more competitive rugby more consistently.

It is far more competitive watching schoolboy rugby than senior rugby is Aus currently. Hopefully some changes can happen at the top to help build that talent base further.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Hey Rod,

Promotion and Relegation must be difficult to implement when you have wholesale changes to team composition year by year as students leave school. Do you promote say Waverley the next year on the basis of a strong opens performance in year X, when maybe the 16As from year X are not as strong?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Promotion and Relegation must be difficult to implement when you have wholesale changes to team composition year by year as students leave school. Do you promote say Waverley the next year on the basis of a strong opens performance in year X, when maybe the 16As from year X are not as strong?

CNP,

Your point is very valid. There will be different strength levels every year, and some schools will probably always be competitive eg joeys, but the schools who chose to play at certain will need to develop a plan to do their best each year.
And no school wins every year.

For example, I do see at Waverley, and I am sure everwhere else, that squads are developed. In these squads there are often a number of younger boys.
These boys go on tours eg NZ, and are given 2nds/1sts game time throughout the season. Obviously for future seasons.
I am no expert but I think this type of plan should boost the quality of boys skills and therefore next year's team.

As I have always said,I hope this first part of the season builds over time to ultimately deliver a super comp. My view is that will strengthen Aussie boys rugby skills which will flow on to the National level.

In junior club rugby, teams are given the first 4 games to show their talent, and then their grading is assessed in that division. Maybe something like that system could be used for the GPS/CAS/Maybe CIS/Public schools -one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.